1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2023 Quarterback Room

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He also played against starters. This idea that Rudolph had some great preseason is just comical. He started faster than the other two quarterbacks in camp because he has been with the team for years and they hadn't. That evened out. Then he put up nice numbers against drastically weaker opposition than what Trubisky faced. Sure, it wasn't a fair competition, but this idea that Rudolph was better simply isn't true, at least not when you consider which guy was facing starters and which guy was getting most of his work against scrubs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah ....this took a lot of skill. LoL.

Now compare. It's not close.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. He made one great throw that was turned into a touchdown by Pickens. Rudolph occasionally throws a really pretty deep ball. It's the rest of his game that drags him down, especially when he faces a defense that can pressure him. As others pointed out, that was all that he did that was impressive in those preseason games. I'm not impressed by veteran quarterbacks torching a bunch of guys who are going to be unemployed come September.

Trubisky's touchdown didn't require a great throw, but it did call on his ability to throw accurately on the move, which has value.

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think the play you are talking about was against Tampa. The Bucs jumped offside and half the players on the field stopped except Conner Heyward who kept running his pattern. Mitch looked downfield and saw him wide open for a 45 yard gain. That was the key play in the win.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Ridiculous. And they aren’t even that good. But to be fair, Trubisky wasn’t brought here to be a backup.

Let Rudolph walk and see if anyone is dumb enough to trade for Mitch, if not cut him.

Sign Dobbs, he did fairly well with the Titans, certainly passable for a backup and is already familiar with the system. Then sign Oladokum off the Chiefs practice squad.

I’d be fine with Brissett or Minshew over Dobbs but they will also cost more and as I said, Dobbs is familiar with the team already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d like to get Taylor Heinicke if he’s willing to be a backup.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And Rudolph was signed when he was the only quarterback

And as you inferred They signed Mitch not knowing Kenny was a commin

Now the crystal ball is clearer

When I look at the crystal ball I don’t see Mason at all and Mitch is at a reduced salary

I also see two cold beers if anyone one wants to join me

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll have one in your honor from here :drinks:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What about Jimmy G? He’d cost a good deal more than a normal BU but he’d also keep their season alive if Pickett missed significant time.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cooper rush? Mike white? Heinike? :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I see his base was 6.5, but with incentives they ended up paying him like $15.5 after Lance got hurt. I think thats doable. Make it incentive laden also and hope the best for Pickett. He's pretty injury prone himself though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks:

They taste better when shared with a friend

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Jimmy G would cost a ton more. He’s going to start somewhere next season. Maybe Las Vegas. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a deal north of $10-15 million for 2023. Heinicke is a guy who can hold the fort and should cost ~$5 million or so.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m seeing his name tied to Houston as well.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have no problem with Jacoby Brissett coming in if Trubisky is let go.

I might even argue with you than the Browns seemed better with Brissett than with Watson.
    I know granted Watson hadn't played in 1.5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd be very happy with Brissett as their No. 2, depending on the cost. If they aren't saving at least a couple of million by replacing Trubisky with him, they won't bother.

18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see Trubisky sitting happily as backup next season. We only need volunteers, not hostages. Quite honestly, Trubisky should not have been named the starter this year. It should have been Rudolph off the bat if we wanted Kenny to sit, or we just should have started Pickett game 1.

Trubisky was given the job "based on his body of work," which is ridiculous. If that is the way to select the starting QB, then we should have brought back Bradshaw a few years ago based on his body of work. Bradshaw just showed up for the big games. I doubt he could do it at his age, but "body of work" is the new standard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What else should they use to decide who starts? Rudolph's production against third-stringers in preseason? Some of you really are silly.

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Silly is believing Trubisky was going to be a good gap QB until Pickett was ready. It is ridiculous that Rudolph was judged in the 2021 preseason for not looking looking like a pro-bowler. He was only asked to shake the cob-webs off that year in preseason and not get the starters hurt which was exactly what he did. This past season Trubisky did the exact same thing and was being praised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    While this comes with some hindsight, the Trubisky experiment as a starter was a massive disappointment. I'm certainly no Rudolph fan but other than mobility, I saw no upgrade with Trubisky and we may have even seen better play from Mason. I would be alright with either one being the back up next season but I'm not sure either one wants to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky had shown the ability to be a competent NFL quarterback. Rudolph had not. It's not so much that Trubisky was a good gap quarterback as it was that he was a better option than Rudolph, which is very clear when you look at their resumes and when you objectively assess the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph is gone. Trubisky has over $8 million reasons to stay.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the steelers have 8 million reasons why he shouldn't. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Really, it's more like three or four million, because they are going to need another veteran backup if they cut Trubisky loose.