1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2023 Quarterback Room

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 30, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i watched him play a few times. he seems to have some good grey matter between the ears. yes athletic but can throw a nice ball as well. might just be a good prospect to let sullivan work with. i'm pretty sure we are picking one up either as a draft pick or priority undrafted free agent. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If "Sing along with Mitch" is to stay either:

A) He takes a pay cut which I feel he won't so they release him.
    B) He restructures for another season with a slight raise to help the cap hit.

With his showing with us I can't see any team at this point thinking he would be the answer as a full time starter.

Can you imagine if they didn't draft Pickett? We might just be getting that 5th pick in the first round.

Rooney likes stability and wants him back so who knows. But a 10,625 mill cap hit I feel won't be in the cards with releasing him would be a 2,625 mill hit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Don't have a 6th to get him unless they trade away next years. They have two 7th's so a QB will be in the cards there. The Purdy phenom was quite the find so who knows with the new regime.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they could use those 7ths to deal into the 6th. the kid from Houston wouldn't be bad either. trade mitch for a 6th? many scenario's could be done. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    We could always say his meh showing was because of Canada.

But then, we’d have to explain why we retained Canada.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Might have to eat more then just releasing him.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Would be a tough sell for sure.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe ? Good Coaching can go a long way IMO..As I stated he has good throwing mechanics he progresses fast with his reads so yes he needs a OC that forces him to take the best throw and forces him to throw it away when nothing is there..
    Will He ? Who knows but if he would do this he could be a solid starter ..He showed flashes with us then he just started forcing balls all over the field..Again I think it's his EGO thinking he can power a ball by anyone ,this is just not the case in the NFL..

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t think you can restructure with only one year on the contract? Probably would need to do an extension?

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why would a team want to take on Mitch's $8 million salary?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    What did Bennet do, pull a Johnny Manziel? Thought he was more mature than Johnny Football but sounds like he isn't.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I bet san fran would have been happy to take that on a week ago. 8 mil. Is fairly cheap for a qb if you need one. :cool:

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    According to the so called draft value charts our 2 7ths are worth one 7th towards the beginning of the round

They would be better using that collateral to maybe move up one spot in the 4th and then pack up and go home before the traffic

Unless we want competition at punter

• Like Like x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    never know. we found a LB in the 7th. robinson. pick strapped teams may make the deal. there are many things they can do with those picks. much depends on the crop of players left that late and available UDFA's after the draft. a lot of players come from those ranks. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually UDFA have a historical higher percentage of making the team than a 7th

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I did some research but couldn't find any time limit. If not they could do a one year extension with a slight raise for the 24 season which would bring the cap number down from 8 mill in 23. It depends on the dead cap. His dead cap is low if we release him now. I feel they will try to work it out because he has a year in the system and I feel they don't want to gut the room and it will just leave Pickett.

The cap is going up but they still need to shave especially if they want to retain Sutton and Edmonds. And hopefully grab an above the line FA receiver or corner.

Going to get interesting for sure and I can't wait.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    30 some % of teams are usually made up of them. i get gruff for talking about them though. :lolol::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    That 30% makes up the PS and 3rd stringers with a couple 2nd stringers thrown in, for the most part. There’s always that diamond in the rough or the Mis-evaluated player but this are fewer in todays game compared to years past.

Still 6-7 rd picks and UDFA hold key value and can’t be dismissed. STers are Very Important plus the occasional Key roster find and Quality backup that may in the future develop into a starter.

Still, with 45% of the NFL needing a Starting QB or a Backup QB who can fight for the starting Job that alone creates a High Demand. Mitch had a bad 4 game start here ( worse of his career ) under an OC many consider under qualified. Unless a team is paying a QB top money in his 2nd contract then 8-10 million for a quality backup and even potential starter is actually cheap.

Bottom line there is a market for Mitch and we’re all guessing what that is. Who knew Claypool would bet us a #32 overall pick???

Cajun

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It will be curious to see what Mason's gets on the open market. To me there is a possibility that Mason, like Dobbs will end up on someone's practice squad making $8,000 per week.

If you are just looking for a set backup QB, and not a QB to come in and compete for the starting Job, I would say around $3 - $5 million would be a normal price for a backup QB if the team's starter is set in stone.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason has earned close to $9MM and you think he is going to take an $8K a week job

Exactly how long were you underwater after your tank ran out of air

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, but Hey, that is what Dobbs was making on Tennessee's Practice squad.

Mason is going to go somewhere and compete for a Backup QB job. If he loses the #2 spot on a lot of teams that means you are cut before the season starts and the team offer's you a job on their PS for $8,000 a week.

Mason has to leave Pittsburgh after being told it was going to be an open competition for the Starting job last year, and it was not. There was no QB competition in Pittsburgh Last year; Mitch was out played by both Mason and Kenny during training camp and in Preseason. I am assuming this is why Mason had all those SmartAss remarks to the press about Tomlin's Statements the 1 week he was on the active roster.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You should go back and watch the preseason game reps for both Mitch and Mason. Mason literally had one really good play. The rest was dink and dunk vs. future practice squad and unemployed players.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe he is. Senior moment maybe?

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe mitch could be moved to Vegas/ Tampa/ Indy/ Tenn? Mason should
    really think about getting on with his lifes work.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And Mitch had one good play on a busted coverage that anyone on this board could have thrown....all this while actually getting to play with the starters.