1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 Steelers Mock Draft: Pre Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. Watch his game tape on YouTube and then go watch Jackson's from college, Willis is clearly the better passer at the same stage of their career. Jackson has the stronger arm but Willis is more accurate than Jackson by far.

2. I understand that Willis is form a small C-USA school and Jackson played in the ACC however, Ben Roethlisberger was a MAC QB.

3. So you are knocking the kid because he didn't start as a true freshman or sophomore at Auburn, and SEC school? Where horrible and Joe Burrow couldn't beat out Haskins at Ohio State and Josh Allen didn't start until his 3rd year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Here is the thing I do like about Pickett. He is very coachable and receptive to change. He has enough talent to be an average to above average QB in the NFL, but he's smart enough and coachable enough to be a really good NFL QB, possibly championship caliber. He recognized deficiencies in his game and bought into the adjustments that Mark Whipple made to make him successful. To me that means he has the ability to set ego aside and to take advantage of the people around him.

I know a lot of people compare him to Joe Burrow because of Joe having one successful year then going in round 1 but I think that is the wrong comparison. I think he should be compared more to Drew Brees. Go back in read the scouting reports on Drew Brees from 2001, they are very similar to Kenny Pickets when talking about his physical attributes, and the fact that Kenny makes up for not being the most physically gifted by being the better student and on field leader.

I'm not saying he will have the career Brees had, he won't...but let's not just over look the other intangibles needed when it comes to playing QB.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    We need to be looking for a passer first type QB who can move as last resort when the opportunity presents itself. I would urge not to buy a one look and than run QB. We just need a mobile QB who can pick up the first down like a Herbert. He needs to be a passer first and as gifted an athelete as Malik Willis is, to me he has not shown the passer first talent and mentality you want

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    well, we aren’t lookin for anything lol

I think if Pickett is there he ends up being the guy regardless of who else they are talking to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Agree. 29 of the 55 Super Bowls have been won by a 1st round QB. 16 of the 29 were by QBs that were the #1 pick overall. This year will make it 17 and 30.. 26 by QBs taken after the 1st round have won the Super Bowl. 8 1st round QBs have won multiple SBs, while only 4 non-1st round QBs have won multiple SBs, Starr, Staubach, Montana, and Brady. 34 QBs will have won SBs after next Sunday. Bradshaw is the only #1 overall pick to win four SBs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My opinion is biased, I hope Kenny Pickett is picked by the Steelers and
    they surround him with some quality players. He will not carry a team, Hell Ben R couldn't carry the team
    But Kenny is tough and has a good attitude Would represent Steeler organization well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trouble is they haven't done well drafting DB's or ILB's. we can still draft these other positions even if we take a QB in the first. free agency is the way to go for an offensive tackle and DB. WR we could get in a later round because i don't think it's a huge need right now. DL i think can wait a year at least. ILB would be my 2nd pick and hopefully Muma is there. i think pickett will be gone. i wouldn't have a problem with any of the one's i have mentioned. if we don't start we won't know. there is nothing guaranteeing we get our guy in future draft's either. as hard as they are looking, i don't think there is any way we don't get one this year. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  8. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    I agree about the uncertainty of it all when it comes to getting a long term QB

Ridder looks intriguing, I don't think I would rule him out

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not surprised you are displaying your ignorance in yet another post. Burrow barely played at Ohio State. There certainly wasn't enough of a sample size to say he was good. He was a backup, throwing no more than eight passes in any game, none of them as a starter. Then he was pretty meh his junior year at LSU before breaking out as a senior.

Your characterization of Pickett implies that the only place he is getting hyped is Pittsburgh. The guy finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting. You do realize people outside of Pittsburgh vote for that, right? He's a high first-round pick in just about every mock draft out there. Those are national analysts, not just Pittsburgh guys. They don't care how long it has been since Pitt had a decent quarterback.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm knocking a kid because he doesn't read through his progressions. He looks at his first read, maybe his second, then tucks and runs. He is wildly inaccurate. It is a hell of a lot easier looking good against the likes of Troy and UMass than it was for Jackson against legitimate competition at Louisville.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s a widely inaccurate statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you mean to write wildly inaccurate? :)

It's not. Willis has accuracy issues. Sure, I utilized a bit of hyperbole, but it is a legitimate concern, one that is extremely rare for a quarterback to overcome. Allen is the exception that proves the rule.

Willis did absolutely nothing in the game to challenge the negative perception of him. He completed only two passes for 11 yards. He had one pretty run. He is fool's gold. He sucks people in by making the occasional exciting play and by looking good in workouts without a real defense opposing him. His upside is a slower version of Lamar Jackson. Do you have much faith in Jackson competing with the elite quarterbacks in the AFC? He hadn't been able to do that when it mattered most even before this season, and then he got hurt. It's amazing that hadn't happened sooner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    I just saw a mock draft that has no QBs taken in the first round. They had the Steelers taking Raimann from Central Michigan. That would be shrewd if the Steelers pass on a QB and take a lineman. I am not opposed to riding w Mason and drafting O-line and ILB help. If we passed on a QB this year I wld be ok with that. Theyt might make a play in free agency but I would prefer saving draft capital and strengthening O-line and LB

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello all!!!

Finally have my main PC back up and running again!! Been using my Phone actually and... writing these things on a keyboard is SO MUCH BETTER. Please be on the look out for many updates later this weekend!! :)

Peace and love!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on, thats a predictive text correction :lolol:

Allen isn’t the exception that proves the rule, his accuracy issues was also overblown, I felt the same when he came out. People grab hold of these talking points and then they continue to grow throughout the whole draft season. Steel_Elvis posted a video breakdown of Willis that was not complimentary of him at all and even that guy stated his accuracy isn’t an issue.

I’d be very happy if Willis is the next Jackson, I have a different opinion of most here about him. He was killing it for the first half of the season until things fell apart with team injuries and his own. Outside of this message board, Jackson is already considered among the elite in the league. It’s why Tomlin is so in love with drafting the next one, despite the Steelers own success against him, he’s a nightmare to defend.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I think the only red flag on Pickett is his hand size, being able to play in poor weather is a legit concern. Otherwise I think he has all the tools, physically and mentally to succeed at a high level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to fabricate a completely made up rumor that has no basis in fact. Here goes. The Steelers and Pickett have a side agreement that Picket would throw crappy passes in the rain and wind at practice so that he drops enough for the Steelers to trade up into the teens to draft him. I’ve seen this completely made up and unfounded rumor on InstaTwit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Would be great if it was true.