1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 QB Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rel, Nov 17, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

The last statement I agree. The second sentence of your opening though I do not. Well... at least... not directly anyway. I do agree that the pieces around him are just as important, if not more than, are essential for his early success. Big Ben is a prime example of this. However.... Big Ben did showcase some of that HOF ability early on and often during his first three years in the league. That aspect is also essential.

As you said, cannot wait on "the guy" to fall to you; doubly so if Big Ben does indeed retire. As I replied to Disco, the most likely plan would be to acquire a FA QB to lead off heading into 2022 as neither Mason nor Dwayne can be trusted... at all; differing reasons doubly so and no less. However, for said plan to take effect, if he is available in 2022.... have to take him.

Who knows how much longer will the next one appear?! Remember that it took the Rooney family from 1983 to 2004 to acquire another one; 21 years total. That is essentially a generation of Steelers Fans with one year added on. I seriously doubt the Rooney's want to repeat the "Dan Marino Saga" all over again as that bit them and the franchise.... BADLY.

Come hell on high water, should Big Ben retire, grabbing the guy is paramount.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The fact that Pickett is at the top of the list speaks volumes about this QB class. Weak is an understatement. He is athletic and strong and has decent poise, but he has been all over the board before this season. After Pickett, Matt Corral has been around for awhile at Ole Miss but he's been below average until Kiffin got to town. It would be hard to convince most folks that either of these guys could be Ben's heir. A journeyman might be the way to go.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel they will draft a QB and it will take a move up unless they tank and get a higher draft status.

I agree bring in a vet but not a high priced one unless they give Ben another go around. Rudolph is signed for next season. Haskins can ride off to take up space elsewhere. Dobbs will be out unless they put him on the PS which I don't know if he would be eligible or not.

4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Might not take a move up - this could be like the 2013/14 draft classes. 2005, 2007, and 2010 were others where only one guy went high.

Right or wrong, some GMs will be turned off of Pickett's age - he'll be 24 when the 2022 season starts. If he falls, the Steelers need to take him.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree with this and I don't see many teams going all out to land any of the QBs in the 1st round. OL and DL will probably dominate the 1st round.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've seen tons of Matt Corral...No way I take this Guy. Doesn't mean they won't, but I wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    No one is giving up that much for Watson until his off the field issues are resolved. Too much risks and too much distractions

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’d take Wilson or Rodgers in a heartbeat.

Strong is probably the best college QB the Steelers will have a shot at

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Pickett is at the top of the list. I'm also not sure who will be there by April.

The criticism of Pickett based on his career before this season sounds familiar. People said the same thing about Joe Burrow. I do realize the analogy doesn't hold up complete. Burrow had better numbers against better competition at LSU, but some guys take a while for the light to go on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you look at the college history of many of the most successful and unsuccessful QBs in recent years, it’s a mix of guys who had multiple seasons of good college play (like Mahomes and Watson), 1 year college wonders (Like Ben or Kyler Murray [or look at Burrow’s huge jump in his last season]) or even a marginal college QB with natural ability (Josh Allen). Then you have guys like Mayfield, who had big college careers, and can’t turn the corner in the Pros. I think it’s key to look in depth at their last season, because different players have different trajectories of improvement. I’m not concerned about Pickett or Corral having their best seasons now. Better that than getting progressively worse like Darnold. Just my take.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If you're going to use a 1st round pick on a QB then that pick better be a sure thing. Ben was that type of QB when he was drafted. No one is that caliber in this draft. Alot of $ to wrap up into a first round pick when the options are considered weak at best.

It makes perfect sense for the steelers to look at FA for a veteran QB. If Ben retires we have plenty of $ to sign a veteran. I think the team believes we have a core of players that can compete now. Why gamble on a first rounder that's probably 2 years away at best vs a veteran that can come in and run the offense now? We will have the cap space to do it and can use our 1st round pick on a player much more likely to succeed like an OT or WR. We have a ton of needs IMO.... maybe even trade down and try to land 3 players in the first 2 rounds? We could use help at almost every position .... first day we can probably ignore OLB, TE, RB, K and Punter. That's about it. So why not draft the best player on the board? That usually works well for us.

12. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Mason will be the starter next season if Ben retires. And we will draft some scrub in the 6th round to fight it out with Haskins and Morgan.

13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
  14. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You think Steelers are finishing in front of Browns, Broncos and Eagles ?

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If you wait on a sure thing at quarterback, you might be waiting for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I haven't Yet seen Strong Yet. I'm eager 2 do so.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See I seen Baker play a bunch in college, and never sawwhat others were seeing. I saw a Guy that looked average in everything He did...not suck mind You ,but average from his thought process 2 his arm talent, and everything. Matter of fact there where a few games in college I thought He was very slow at processing, but His team bailed Him out.

18. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If Ben makes it out of 2021 unscathed, he'll be back in 2022. Art and Kevin will kick this can down the road another year.

Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson aren't going to be options. You're going to have to give up a ton of draft capital and this team has too many holes. Nobody is going after Watson until his legal troubles are settled. I don't think any of the three want to come here in anyway.

The upcoming draft class looks lean on potential franchise QB's. If this team finishes .500ish or better, most of first round grade QB's will probably be out of reach.

I can't see them signing someone like Mariota, Trubisky, Bridgewater, etc off the scrap heap and giving them the keys to the offense on day one. If Ben does retire, they'll roll with Rudolph or Haskins for a year.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    All I can say is, if you are going to go the FA/trade route, please pass on Matt Ryan.

I am watching this game right now[vs NE]. All I keep thinking is that even an old washed up Ben is clearly better than Matt Ryan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Talked with a UC fan who thinks Pickett is smoke and mirrors, only taking advantage of a down year in the ACC, cites how he never threw more than 13 TDs before this year. Of course, he was pimping Desmond Ridder, who looks like the same guy for four years...

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Lots of film yet to be watched, but at this point I would nominate Ridder as the “2022 QB most likely to have a Tyrod Taylor career trajectory.” That can change, but I agree. Same guy for years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Which is what we should have done last draft and hopefully next draft. But last draft is water under the bridge and we got some good picks albeit not OL which is where everything on offense starts. We do what we'll do and I'll support whatever that is because I'd rather be on the train than not. JMO>

• Like Like x 3
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    No kidding. Putting things into perspective, we think our O is bad, the FailCons have a total of 3 points in the past 2 games combined and have given up over 60. They are impressively going for that draft pick and we can't compete with that magnitude of failure.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I hope they steer clear of Watson. I'd eventually like to root for a QB without a black cloud of sexual allegations hanging over his head.

Jimmy G could be a good value pickup.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I can see Ben being brought back possibly as was mentioned, but if not I do feel that Mason will be the starter if not. Just an opinion They will draft a QB in the 1st I believe because Mason is a one year or part of the year stop gap. Haskins can go elsewhere and check his phone. They might throw Dobbs in the mix due to him being a good solder as the #3.