1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 NFLDraft, Tomlin , Colbert press conferance

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Apr 26, 2021.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Prty good listen, lot of questions asked and ansered , https://fb.watch/56Cvixg-gs/

Colbert stated no plans to move up, possible they move back in the right situation, He believe's there are NFL starting centers through out the draft , mentioned the weakest pos is the Dline in draft ,

• Like Like x 2
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the mystery of Haskins has been solved. Just as with Mike Vick, Tomlin has a serious itch that needs scratching and won't believe anything but his own opinion on that itch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Quite a bit to dive into for sure. Three big takeaways though;

1.) Colbert confirmed what I have been saying all this time; whomever the best player is at 24 is the guy. Furthermore, of the two, whomever played in 2020 versus who did not will likely have a better shot at getting drafted.

2.) Trading back is a possibility. That said, it did not sound like Colbert was too thrilled about the idea when asked about it.

3.) There is more than one major component of the running game that needs fixed. Did not directly identify who but Running Back and Offensive Line are clearly high on the list.

Bonus one:

*** Kevin did state that the draft was deep at Center, Inside Linebacker, Cornerback, Wide Receiver and Running Back. Of the five though, he again did not directly state as to how that would play into the plans itself but given the circumstances, ILB is now likely a late Day Two selection should the board break that way; Corner being the other. ***

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Okay, I'm confused. Shocking, right?

If picking BPA has been confirmed, then how can trading back be a possibility?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good presser. My take always:

We now know why they were signing players they saw working out while attending pro days, because there will be less UDFA available after the draft to sign. Smart move.

There will be a change in run scheme, say goodbye to run blocking out of a 3pt stance. Hope so anyway, puts your lineman at such a disadvantage.

Spoke of Pierres ascension, I think he will play a significant roll this coming season. Could be another diamond in the rough UDFA.

Draft very deep at center, I was thinking they’d take one in the first three rounds, maybe they take one 4th rd or later now opening things up for a different need early on.

20 player hype. Us fans and media alike focus on the same small group of players but teams have such a deeper pool that they compose a board of. I notice this when we do our mock drafts here, all the known name players are gone by rd two, lol. In reality, that’s why we are surprised every year when players drop, because teams know of a lot more players than we do. So expect to be surprised by some names we take again, maybe even rd 1.

They will draft a QB if that’s how the board unfolds. Plus, I think they are expecting to turn Haskins around.

Art Rooney making draft picks? I never got the impression that he overrides the process but maybe he has been more involved than I have thought on draft day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    lies lies smokescreens mirrors more lies.

THAT we do well

Drafting is another story. Trade BACK if you can. Our guy(s) will be there later. get another 2nd round or 3rd round pick

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    @Blast Furnace I can see Tomlin and KC putting together their board in a loose sort of way and then calling Art to take a look. A player that has flags for things that might affect the image of the Steelers would jump out at Art and him telling them to make thier case and then giving them a yea or nay. Then they can begin finalizing the board ahead of draft week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Who are you thinking will give up a 2nd or 3rd to move back into the 1st round at 24? The Ravens, Browns, Bengals, and Patriots would be no-nos. The Chiefs if they think they are one piece away from a 3rd straight SB appearance with a possible win could want to move up for that piece but do the Steelers really want to add strength to that team?

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

More than one player can count as BPA.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed with all of this minus the final one.

Yes, both Tomlin and Colbert answered the question based on the aspect of a decision of a player. That said, I seriously doubt Art Rooney II is invoking any Jerry Jones level aspects of control here. If that were the case, Colbert and Tomlin would have given a more passive response as opposed to a direct one.

It likely still comes down to a cohesive decision between the three. That said, Dan Rooney did overrule Bill Cowher once so there is that scenario to consider as well.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know, Arts a little different. I know the process involves him, not a single name gets on the board without his approval first. If I had to guess, he’s not overriding them on draft day, certainly not often but still got an eyebrow rise out of me.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, that part is definite, that exact process has been broken down just as you said.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, if that is the case, perhaps Art Rooney II has "stepped in" like so many other Steelers Fans wanted him to in terms of involvement. The whole "Antonio Brown Fiasco" likely did not sit well with AR2 and likely does not want another incident like that on his watch again. That said, only major time AR2 was ever mentioned as far as my memory goes was during the "Devin Bush Jr. Saga" in 2019 where essentially every major Steelers Front Office Member (him included I believe) was on hand for his Pro Day. Beyond that though, I really do not entirely see much AR2 involvement within the past three years.

That said, who is to say that this has not been going on for much longer?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    How do you know that

15. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    More confused now than ever. Thanks?

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you are looking at both terms as absolutes instead of if not one perhaps the other. By saying we will draft BPA Colbert means they won't pick a rb in the 1st just because they said they need a rb in the first. The trade back statement was more like if it is a good offer or all the guys they like are still there at 24 and they can move back get one of those guys and some draft capital they will consider it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

By trading back, the team is still following the board. The only major aspect here is that their top options are likely gone by that point. Should that be the case, trading back for the next set of options is the safe play as opposed to going with an unknown.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    OL, OL, OL please. If that position is deep take two of them. & get a te that can block in addition to dropping passes. Sign the Outlaw to man te#2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, it’s not a smokescreen, when do the Steelers ever trade back? They don’t like doing it but fans love it, every year, someone wants to trade back and it’s always the perfect year to do it :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin said Chuks is the LT for now, but that means nothing in April.

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    there are 25 other teams than the ones you list that MAY work. First round trade backs rarely happen. Id love to see it it. We'd still get our C, a strong LT, and a solid RB (i think there are 3 that are pretty equal). all by the end of Rd 2. that is my thought. I'd bet however we go w Najee, when LT is our most important need. if we cannot run block, you can put Earl Campbell back there and it would not matter.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    so, i know from history. we lie every draft week. all GMs do. that said, we have PLENTY of needs. any one of 4 or 5 players can work. We have more important needs than draft spots. this is our worst spot entering a season in a long time, IMO.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We'll be ok... Last year we didn't even have a 1st, and had only 6 picks...And we had a great draft!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. I think we get a center in third round. I hope we get Harris in 1st round. Maybe second round will surprise.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    so far, yes - last years seems like a good ( i am careful with great talk after only 1 year) draft.

• Like Like x 1