1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 NFL Free Agency thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 15, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they wanted a safety because the year before they lost out on several a pick or two ahead of them during the draft. i still think that is why edmunds was the pick before he maybe should have been. many draft boards though had edmunds moving into round one contention right before the draft. this happens every year. ranking at the last minute raise players that had previously been a round or two later even up until the draft, but teams rank some quite differently then the keyboard GMs. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It wasn’t an obvious choice but was clear who they should have chosen, lol. Anyway, it was neither those things, I’ve broken it down enough to show that wasn’t the case. Could have gone either way, they chose wrong.

Here’s the article, “one of the worst picks” were the words used, I was close.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/7...cher-report-article-as-motivation-during-2018

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some idiot thinks taking an FCS player in the top 40 picks is a mistake regardless of the player and that is supposed to prove something?

In this case, obvious would be something everyone sees without even having to think about it. Clear would be something easily understood if you look into the situation. Though you mocked my words, I won't mock yours.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You asked because you didn’t think there was an article and I showed you and now you are trying to spin it so that it is meaningless. If you already thought any criticism of a FCS player was worthless why did you ask? Because it’s not worthless and is an example of how you are pumping up Leonard to be a player he wasn’t at the time. You don’t follow the draft closely like I do and I’m trying to explain to you that he wasn’t a highly sought after player. You didn’t even know who he was and you are trying to pump him up because he was ranked about 9 spots higher. Being an FCS player doesn’t mean anything, lots have flamed out in the pros.

What about Walter Football? Are they just idiots too when they dubbed him a developmental player that could be solid in year two?

You’re engaging in revisionist history, Leonard isn’t the player you are trying to make him out to be during the draft.

I highlighted the contradiction in your words, are we this sensitive now? Don’t make me go back in your replies and point out the same. Your explanation in the difference of those words doesn’t carry any weight. You misspoke, it happens.

• Like Like x 3
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Boom roasted

• Like Like x 3
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If you say writing lol isn't mocking, I'll take your word for it.

Actually, I never said there wasn't an article. I said I'd love to see it because the person made an ass of themselves. Re-read my post and you will see I didn't doubt that it existed. It isn't that any criticism of an FCS player is worthless. Questioning the competition a player faced is valid. Dismissing all FCS players from being worthy of a top-40 pick, which is what that article did, is ridiculous.

All I knew about him was that he was the top-ranked linebacker available when the Steelers picked and that he was a borderline 1st/2nd round prospect, higher than Edumunds.

Walter Football was simply wrong. That stuff happens all the time. That doesn't make them idiots, but they weren't dumb enough to assume the guy was overdrafted just because he was an FCS guy.

I'm making Leonard out to be a prospect who was ranked more highly than Edmunds, which he was. There is nothing revisionist about that.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I laughed because I found it genuinely funny but don’t pretend you haven’t engaged in a little mocking yourself, I just didn’t point it out because it wasn’t that big a deal nor was what I wrote.

He had the same exact grade as Edmunds, rd 2-3, if Leonard was borderline 1, so was Edmunds but the fact that no one drafted Leonard in rd 1 tells you that you are overvaluing him.

Walter Football and the article I posted are just two examples pointing out he wasn’t rd one material. Rest is hindsight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Your responses/arguments continue to be markedly ignorant of what has just been presented and lack any responsibility (much less courtesy in discourse) to illustrating your own viewpoint.

Did you, really? Fine, then bring it forward. We're talking about draft comments from three years ago; it's not an unreasonable to request you retrieve what you referenced. @Blast Furnace referenced the 2018 draft thread as part of his response. I recalculated some numbers for @SteelerGlenn earlier and he didn't even pass me a Mich. You continue to be disingenuous with your practice of stating opinion as fact while providing no substance.

More evidence you either don't read or blatantly ignore what you're replying to - further, your absolute laziness to do any research supporting views you adamantly argue are 'right', while admonishing those that happen to disagree. My post clearly states I had just referenced three draft rankings and two of three had Edmunds ahead of Leonard.

As with my previous point, you need to bring more substance to your claims.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he didn't have the same grade. The gap was wider than that. I posted lists that demonstrated this multiple times. It's not hindsight. It was a mistake the moment they made it.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've posted the evidence repeatedly. You responded to me asking you for evidence by attacking me again. I do enjoy the hypocrisy of you dodging a request for evidence while lecturing me about not providing evidence. So much for you not wanting to play this game anymore.

Seriously, show me one ranking from before the 2018 draft that had Edmunds ahead of Leonard.

Yes, it is unreasonable to ask me to keep digging up the evidence over and over again every time someone tries to defend that awful pick by the Steelers.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I had Leonard as a top 40 pick and I had Edmunds with 2 grades.. As a Safety I had him as a late 3rd. or early 4th. .As a project convert to a LB/SS who plays in the box all the time has short zones in zone coverage and only plays TE'S or Big slower WR'S in man.. So he would still need to be schemed around ,but I had him as a late 2nd. early 3rd. in that role..

IMO he is still best suited to play the LB/SS role in the way I see it above.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Same grade. You’re confusing ranking with round grade. Told you many times, there was only about 9 spots separating them, thats not a big enough gap to change the grade on the round. Both 2-3, that’s a fact.

Hindsight 100%

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    LOL. You need to take time off of debating any point; you're style is honestly that transparently bad.

I'm not doing your homework for you, especially while you continue - in nearly every point I've seen you debate - to bring nothing of substance to the table aside from your opinion. Your type of empty rhetoric while claiming the high ground isn't uncommon, but I'm not feeding into it here.

If you want to participate in some more mature exchange of thoughts, ideas, and debate, you need to come more properly able and willing to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Looks like Villanueva is close to signing with the Ravens. Say it ain’t so Al. Barf.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That would be a odd fit for AV, go to a team that runs the ball a lot, yet AV isn't good at run blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Makes little sense to me for Baltimore. If anything, Kansas Ciity paid a price but it will be worth it given the fact that Brown Jr is qualified to be a premier Left Tackle. Using him at Right Tackle seemed to be a waste.

17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    So the Ravens traded Orlando Brown to the chiefs The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick. That's a bunch of stuff for a tackle! Surely they won't put AV on the left side

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They want secrets:hehehe:

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe they will draft one. Who that is though remains to be seen.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Ravens say "Here hold my beer"

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In all seriousness what does it say about the Ravens that a 2nd generation Raven who was so proud to play for the same team as his dad demanded a trade?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was hoping we would resign Al so we wouldn’t have to spend a draft pick on depth now. If I’m being honest with myself I think Al might be done if he is already thinking about retirement. Word is DeCastro might be done soon too. He might have lost the eye of the tiger judging by his play last season?

I’m also really worried about Banner, we never have seen him as a full time starter, he might struggle?

How lucky are the Ravens? O. Brown Jr. tanks the draft process and they got that gift of a 1st round talent is the 3rd, which they turn into another 1st round pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He wanted to play LT and they were never going to be able to offer him that with Stanley firmly entrenched in that position. I think that was the one and only issue to be fair.

Ravens probably didn’t want to pay him either. It’s difficult to keep two top of the market tackles on your roster together. This trade makes a lot of sense for them.

• Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If any of you were holding out hope of AB coming back to the Steelers :roflmao:

He signed a one year deal to rejoin the Bucs. So there's a good chance this POS gets two rings.

• Like Like x 1