1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 NFL Free Agency thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 15, 2021.

1. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    To see if they can trade him for another draft pick to recoup their draft investment :shrug:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    In other words we need to take the load off the QB's until a new franchise QB is found

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We're crude...We don't care

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Normally I would agree, but drafting at 24 is the place to do it, especially with the RB situation. In retrospect would drafting Derrick Henry be wrong in the 1st (knowing his current production) and knowing he was not going to be there for you in the 2nd? Listened to an in depth interview with Najee the other day, this kid is special and very worth that 1st rounder.

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am an Ass when it comes to what I think about older RBs.

Draft a late 1st round RB every 5 years, cheap rookie contract plus the 1 year option, then run them into the ground for those five years. Never ever give them a 2nd contract; just start all over again with another 1st round pick. Needs to be a 1st round pick for that 4 year rookie contract with the extra 1 year option.

The Steelers dodged a huge bullet by not signing Bell to his 2nd contract for 70 million. After the Jets Bell signed for league minimum last year and is currently hoping to be able to sign this year with another team.

If they are really great you can use the franchise Tag for their 6th year, but after that they should be shipped down the road.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Dale Lolley had a stat recently that nearly 70% of all running backs that had 1,000 yard seasons in the past decade have been taken in the first two rounds, it’s over 80% if you include the third round. The recent narrative that running backs don’t matter and you can get them anywhere in the draft is a bit of a myth, driven in part by an unusual draft in 2017 that had very good backs in every round, eg Mack, Carson, Aaron Jones were all late rounders.

There are probably 15-20 consensus first round / blue chip players in most drafts, I wouldn’t be picking a RB there unless they are a total freak like Barkley or Henry. Second round is the sweet spot IMO, but I don’t hate a running back at 24 as long as they are good. These fourth and fifth round guys they have been taking are not working. Time to invest in the position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Just know that drafting a RB in the 1st round means you have that player for 5 years and you move on. Investing any type of long term contract in a RB is dumb.

EDIT: To follow up, teams do not win Super Bowls with a stud back...they win with a solid running game, usually done by a stable of backs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is why I hope Harris is gone and Etienne is there..A new bread type RB that is a slash as he can do as much damage as a pass catcher as he does as a runner is worth the 5 years IMO..Plus Ben is all but done so what helps a new QB a lot ? A checkdown guy meaning the RB and a Safety valve the TE .. This adds value to the RB spot as well IMO and places more value on the TE position as well..

• Like Like x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Just like Alvin with the best OLB in the league opposite him. Watch Highsmith florish...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Either would be fine as far as i'm concerned.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Harris is an excellent pass catching back, actually with a huge catch radius. He’s not the HR threat Etienne is but his size and elusiveness is more appealing to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough, I just have Etienne projected as a better fit for us..Mainly because of OL play and blocking schemes ..I am not sure how Harris will do if forced to do that wait for a hole to open up thing I question his field vision and his ability to stop and start quickly..I think he is a Franchise RB as well just the fit bothers me a bit ..

If I knew we intended on power blocking and running North and South then he would be my pick as well ...

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. Lots of truth there.

14. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Who's Alvin? Pretty sure Kamara plays on offense for the Saints.

15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Woah, that's harsh! Unfortunately, it makes a lot of sense. Talk about resetting the RB market. What if every team adopted that philosophy? Yikes. And again, I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, just that it would flip the RB market on its ear.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Alvin Bud Dupree Jr.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why wouldn't ANY other team just sign him then...And NOT use a draft pick

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This is where I lean as well. I like Etienne's speed, but I guess I'm tired of not having one a more reliable threat between the tackles in short-yardage situations, and who can soften defenses up a bit powering through some would-be tackles. Upgrading the OL would of course help Etienne's cause, and needs to be a priority either way, but even with better blocking and Bell short-yardage/goal line situations were dicey.

I read an article recently on Harris being irked at McShay's scouting report of him, due to McShay stating Harris showed good development of his pass-catching skills last season. Harris saying it wasn't 'development', they just started throwing him the ball.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Thanks. Don't think I ever heard his full name.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean how Bell helped S. (I see ghost)Darnold. LoL.
    I know just the Jets , and A. Gase fault.
    IMO . A great Oline, and Great D is what helps a Young Qb out.
    Of course. JMO

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree the OL does help and of course a Good D helps.. I mean a RB that helps like that kid from Carolina , Even with a great OL the QB or the OL will make bad line calls this is where the RB and the TE come into play they know to break off the routes and make themselves available. This helps the young QB knowing he has a guy or guys to help keep him from getting killed or throwing pick 6's..

Plus it's a math game how many players does it take to build a strong OL ? How many players does it take to build a great D ? So that's how many compared to 2 that can make a Impact day 1 if they are elite..

I never thought Bell was elite I thought the weapons around him made him look good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They were able to trade him last year for a 6th rd I believe. If a team gets into trouble with injuries like the Jags did, might find a buyer again.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Clowney is the most overrated player in the league, I don't know why teams keep throwing money at him, former number 1 pick has never had a double digit sack season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to mention the assumption that he will be part of a Championship defense with Garrett seems to forget the wealth of star defenders he played with in Houston. While JJ Watts production stayed the same, Clowney benefited very little from it

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    They don't know they need him yet.

• Like Like x 1