1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Top Five Positional Rankings: Final

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 13, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone and welcome back to our final installment of the 2020 NFL Big Board. I am AskQuestionsLater and today we will wrap up the list of the best of the best in regards to the Top 5 Positional Rankings today! Before we begin though and, as always, a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

One final note as well! For those of you interested in seeing the previous installments, please click the links below so that you can see who has risen and who has fallen since the last installment of the series!

Pre Bowl

Pre Senior Bowl

Post Senior Bowl

Top Five By Position:

Quarterbacks:

1.) Joe Burrow: Louisiana State University

2.) Tua Tagovailoa: University of Alabama

3.) Jordan Love: Utah State University (+1)

4.) Justin Herbert: University of Oregon (-1)

5.) Jake Fromm: University of Georgia (+1)

Top two have remained unchanged as they have been all season, hence why I am not going to evaluate any further than I already have. Joe and Tua are Top 5 locks; nothing more to it than that. Beyond those two stems a major logjam. More often than not, the final QB of the "Big Three" comes from Justin Herbert. While I do agree he does possess all the physical intangibles anyone would ever want from a QB Prospect, his mental acumen is what is concerning here. The biggest issue stems from his accuracy here. An Elite QB does not throw to Receivers, they throw to spots in which that those Receivers should be open. More often than not, the Elite QBs do so such to the point that it becomes second nature. From there, it is up to the Wideouts to handle their responsibilities. Can Justin Herbert accomplish this?! Of course as there is plenty of tape to suggest he is capable of performing this feat. However, is he capable of doing it in succession?! Sadly no. This is where talent evaluators get so hung up on Herbert. On one hand is a player with capabilities that far exceed any QB in the class; Tua and Joe included. On another hand is arguably the most inconsistent QB among the big names; Jordan Love here as well. While Justin does possess Elite level traits to play the position, his accuracy and anticipation is questionable. Sadly, those two areas are areas that are either inherent or colossally difficult to develop in the NFL.

That said, why do I have Jordan Love above Justin Herbert you may ask?! That answer is simple; continuity. Yes, QBs have to raise the level of the players around them for them to be considered Elite level talents. That said, can anyone imagine any of us knowing the same Patrick Mahomes without the likes of Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce?! However, using that same metric, we also need to apply for the antitheses of that equation as well a la Baker Mayfield with Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. As such, a QB needs to display the ability to not just endure the adversity but also and, most importantly, overcome it as well. For me, given the colossal change that took place at Utah State, I am impressed that Utah State's record was what it was given the fact that Jordan Love had literally NOTHING to aid him; coaches and players included. Despite this, Utah State did earn a bowl berth and, despite the loss, Jordan played well. Even so, Jordan Love gets the nod over Justin Herbert due in part to the innate accuracy and anticipation skills he displayed with a competent Offense in 2018. 2019 is likely his floor as a player but 2018 could be just scratching the surface of his ceiling. However, like Herbert, I believe that Love needs to have a red shirt season in order to fully realize his potential barring EXTREME circumstances.

Now, the battle that I had between Jake Fromm and Jacon Eason has been quite the back and forth within my notes since the end of the 2019 NCAA FBS 1 College Season. Both had strengths in which both had weaknesses and both had weaknesses that the other had as strengths, such as Fromm's decision making and leadership vs. Eason's arm talent and range on the field. That said, I went with Jake Fromm in the final assessment of this Top Five. While I do wish that Fromm had a little more juice in his throws and he is not as mobile as I initially thought to offset that, his decision making, leadership intangibles and short to medium range accuracy are what won me over in the end. Given the fact that the majority of an NFL QBs area of effectiveness is between 5 to 25 yards overall, Fromm can become a quality starter but he must have the right system around to do so. In comparison and, as stated before in my recent write ups, Eason's combined arm strength and arm talent is not only better than Fromm's but better than ANY QB in the class. Period. Here in lies the issue, what good is Elite NFL arm strength and talent if you do not have the decision making or accuracy to go with it?! It amounts to nothing overall. However, much like Fromm, Jacob Eason has the potential to become the best, yes you read that correctly, the best QB from this draft class but like Fromm but on a much greater scale, neve rmind just sitting down for his red shirt season, he has to rework just about EVERYTHING... and I mean down to the basics. The tools and talent are there but the rawness and lack of fundamentals are too.

Running Backs:

1.) J.K. Dobbins: Ohio State University

2.) Clyde Edwards-Helaire: Louisiana State University (+5)

3.) D'Andre Swift: University of Georgia

4.) Cam Akers: Florida State University

5.) Johnathan Taylor: University of Wisconsin

Any team who drafts J.K. Dobbins is going to be a very happy one for certain. While losing four fumbles will bring up some concerns with almost 800 total touches, keep in mind that, of the 797 total touches J.K. Dobbins has had, 301 of them came in his final year. In addition, while losing four of five fumbles, three in the same season is not good, compare that to Johnathan Taylor's 15 total fumbles over three years with 14 of them going the other way. Add J.K.'s versatility and instincts and it is not hard to see why J.K. Dobbins is the best Running Back in the class. Sure, he is not the world class athlete that say, a SaQuon Barkley or even a Johnathan Taylor is but what J.K. Dobbins does provide a team is a reliable feature back that can tote the rock with confidence.

Now, the next two players have some similarities but also some major differences. Let us start with Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Being 5'8 in today's NFL is not the automatic "death sentence" it was 20 years ago. For that matter, being 5'8 is perfectly fine so long as said player is stocky; something Clyde is. Never mind his build though, what separates Clyde from Swift is his explosiveness and overall acceleration. While Swift is the more versatile of the two with quicker feet and vision, Clyde gives you play making capabilities despite not having play making athleticism. Add Clyde's durability and lack of tread and Clyde is quite the underrated name among his peers. By comparison, Swift is the most complete back in the class. That part is not up for debate. He is the complete package minus the height/weight/speed aspect. His major issue will be an injury history however. This is why he is so low due in part to the massive availability of Running Backs in the draft; undrafted or otherwise. Running Backs are the most replaced position in the NFL due to their very limited life of only 2.5 years on average. While I said that being short does not matter as much as it did 20 years ago, it will matter once medical red flags appear. If he can get over the injury bug in the NFL though, D'Andre Swift will be the best back from this class. However, given the positions punishment, that is still a bit of a longshot overall.

Moving along, Cam Akers is truly an enigma for me. On one hand, even including D'Andre Swift, Akers has the potential, talent and skill set to not just become the best Running Back from this class but could very well become a Top 10 Running Back in the NFL in due time. His ceiling is that unreal. On another hand, Cam Akers possesses the biggest bust potential of any Running Back due to the lack of continuity in his game. Much of that was not all on him as Florida State's inability to recruit Offensive Lineman did them in but, on tape, Akers lack of a killer instinct to explode through holes that were open were not completely taken advantage of. Even so, I personally would still roll the dice with him. To start, among the Top Five Running Backs listed here, only D'Andre Swift has fewer total touches; Akers 665 compared to Swift's 513 total. However, beyond just touches, that is where the similarities end. Cam Akers has the skill set that is comparable to Swift. Both are great runners of the football and both offer you an additional option in the passing game as well. Sounds like Akers should be higher right.... so why isn't he?! Two words; pass protection. It is not that Cam Akers lacks desire to pass protect, not at all in fact. However, his overall discipline and fundamentals are severely lacking in many areas. To be a complete, three down back, pass protection is a critical aspect of the game. Without it, coaches will not be able to trust Running Backs who will fall victim to players like T.J. Watt or Chandler Jones; tossing them aside en route to the QB. Even so, Cam Akers is still a worthy investment for teams as, while it will be a roll of the dice with him, the payoff will far outweigh the risk.

Last but not least, add me to the people who are not buying the "Johnathan Taylor" hype in the class. Yes, Johnathan Taylor put on a show at the combine. Yes, Johnathan Taylor is the best pure runner in the class thanks to those athletic gifts. Also yes, Johnathan Taylor is but a handful of Offensive Players in the entire 2020 Class that can offer a "Thermonuclear Option" for teams in dire need of one. However, I do have some questions; starting with his handling of the football. 15 fumbles in three years in nothing to scoff at; losing 14 of them as a whole. The games best feature backs are the most trusted as their ability to protect the football is second nature; something either Taylor lacks or needs refinement of. For two, how about mileage?! 968 total touches of the rock is insane production but also immense wear on the body. Generally speaking, any amount of total touches totaling 800 or over is what I constitute as the "Danger Zone" for any Running Back. At some point, those proverbial tires will pop and Taylor is no exception. However, even if we ignore the fumbilitis or those nasty touches, more often than not, Wisconsin is well known throughout the Country to produce quality NFL starting Offensive Lineman; Tyler Biadasz being the most recent example (more on him later). That said, are we seeing possible inflated production from the likes of Taylor given Wisconsin's history?! It is difficult to say for certain but the amount of pedigree on that Wisconsin Offensive Linen is not. All that said, while Johnathan Taylor is a home run Running Back who is built purely for the ground game, his lack of versatility, amount of touches and ball handling are very much a real concern for many NFL Teams.

Wide Receivers:

1.) Jerry Jeudy: University of Alabama

2.) CeeDee Lamb: University of Oklahoma

3.) Tee Higgins: University of Clemson (+2)

4.) Henry Ruggs III: University of Alabama

5.) Jalen Raegor: Texas Christian University (+1)

Much like the QBs, we really do not see action until we reach the third ranking as one and two are set in stone. For me personally, one and two were set long before the 2019 NCAA Football Season even commenced. Nothing changed my opinion then and even after the combine, nothing will now. However, the real action occurs after the first two. Most people railed on Tee Higgins after a poor showing at the Clemson Pro Day prior to COVID 19. However, much of what I already knew about Higgins did not change my perception at all about him. It is what the other Receivers in his class were doing and if they could measure up to that. Despite the limited information, I can say that Tee Higgins is now the third best Wide Receiver in the class. While he will not have the speed or acceleration to beat the most stern of press corners and his best attributes are positioned on the outside despite his versatility, Tee Higgins still has the best contested catching ability, arguably the best ball tracking and arguably the best overall hands in the entire class. Only CeeDee Lamb has better ball tracking and hands but it is more close than one believes. Just about any catch within Higgins' reach is going to be caught. Sure, there are more aspects to being a Receiver but the most important aspect is, well, catching. Not only that, Higgins can box out just about any corner when it comes to high pointing the football. While his speed will never make him a true home run threat, his possession abilities and red zone talent and potential are what stand out more so than any other Receiver in the entire class. His tremendous length and exceptional hands are his biggest strengths and his overall abilities in the league should not be capped due to some limited athletic testing.

For the final two, say hello to two of the fastest players not just in the class but potentially in the entire NFL. Jalen Raegor redid his 40 time, clocking in between 4.22-4.27. Henry is 4.27 but honestly runs like he is going in the mid to high 4.1s for me. Of the two, I prefer Raegor more but Henry is more polished due to his experience in a Pro Style system

Tight Ends:

1.) Brycen Hopkins: University of Purdue

2.) Cole Kmet: University of Notre Dame

3.) Hunter Bryant: University of Washington

4.) Thaddeus Moss: Louisiana State University

5.) Adam Trautman: University of Dayton

No changes here I am afraid. More of the same for this years Tight End class.

Offensive Tackles:

1.) Andrew Thomas: University of Georgia

2.) Jedrick Willis: University of Alabama

3.) Tristan Wirfs: University of Iowa

4.) Mekhi Becton: University of Louisville

5.) Isaiah Wilson: University of Georgia

Once again, no change within the top four but yet again, a change at the bottom. Austin Jackson has an immense ceiling but also a low floor due to his continual development. Despite his tremendous athletic gifts, Austin will need more time to develop to begin to tap into his immense abilities.

That said, there is an individual who not only possesses similar potential but better overall polish. That person is Josh Jones. Heading into the season, I thought that Josh Jones would be within the top three for Offensive Tackles. For the first four weeks he was. After that, I began to lose interest in him. His play, while still good, still had some issues overall. His biggest one was his hand placement and footwork; both in dire need of refinement. I do not know what transpired since the end of his Senior Season but Josh Jones looks like a different person now. Seriously though, his highlights in the Senior Bowl have showcased significant growth since the beginning of his Senior Season. Now, there is still work to be done of course as he still has a tendency to lunge a bit and jab his hands a bit too high but the foundation is there for something special. Due to the position he plays in addition to his improvement, do not be surprised if Josh Jones is selected on Day One.

Interior Offensive Line:

1.) Ceaser Ruiz: University of Michigan

2.) Lloyd Cushenberry III: Louisiana State University

3.) Ben Bredeson: University of Michigan

4.) John Simpson: University of Clemson

5.) Matt Hennessy: University of Temple

Ceaser Ruiz takes the top spot here ladies and gentleman. After reviewing some more of his tape, I can finally and safely say I definitely missed on what others were trying to sell me after the conclusion of the College Football Season. In a weak Interior Offensive Lineman Class, Ruiz stands out at the top.

Some movement overall for the remaining four spots. Lloyd gets pushed up after seeing how limited Solomon Kindley will be in the pros. Ben Bredeson remains the number three as he is a rock solid, plug n play starter who will not wow anyone but will give any team a steady, reliable and dependable player. John Simpson and Matt Hennessy round out the list as polar opposites as Matt has the better overall mechanics whereas Simpson has the greater athleticism and length; giving him a better ceiling overall.

Interior Defensive Lineman:

1.) Derrick Brown: University of Auburn

2.) Javon Kinlaw: University of South Carolina

3.) Neville Gallimore: University of Oklahoma

4.) Raekwon Davis: University of Alabama

5.) Justin Madibuke: Texas A&M University

No major change here I am afraid. Even after the Senior Bowl, these big guys stay put. However, Javon Kinlaw's tendinitis in his knee will be something to monitor heading into the NFL Scouting Combine and if that affects his performance.

EDGE Rushers:

1.) Chase Young: Ohio State University

2.) K'Lavon Chaisson: Louisiana State University

3.) Yetur Gross Matos: Pennsylvania State University

4.) Terrell Lewis: University of Alabama

5.) A.J. Epenesa: University of Iowa

Outside of Chase Young, the rest of this class does have some shining points but only at the very top. K'Lavon Chaisson definitely possess greater ceiling than any other pass rusher but is raw in comparison to Chase. Yetur does have great athletic ability but pale in comparison to both K'Lavon and Chase and that is before factoring in his limited versatility as a whole. Terrell Lewis would be number two or even potentially number one but injuries have severely let him down and teams wanting to go for him will have to bank on his recent tape as a result. A.J. Epenesa is a bit of an enigma though. On one hand is a player who showcases immense disruptive abilities. On another hand, his limited athletic scores are a bit concerning. Trusting the tape is paramount but even then, there is sadly a limit to A.J.s ceiling here.

Linebackers:

1.) *** Isaiah Simmons ***: University of Clemson

2.) Kennith Murray: University of Oklahoma

3.) Patrick Queen: Louisiana State University

4.) Malik Harrison: Ohio State University

5.) Troy Dye: University of Oregon

No changes here. Willie Gay Jr. should be here but an academic suspension, while not conduct detrimental to the team, is still something to be considered here.

Cornerbacks:

1.) Jeffery Okudah: Ohio State University

2.) C.J. Henderson: University of Florida

3.) Kristian Fulton: Louisiana State University

4.) A.J. Terrell: University of Clemson

5.) Jeff Gladney: Texas Christian University

Jeffery Okudah is not moving. For that matter, expect him to be picked within the top 5 barring some extreme circumstances. Assuming those circumstances are met, he goes no lower than 7. Regarding C.J. Henderson, while I am not his biggest fan when it comes to tackling, his coverage skills more than make up for it. Just about any coverage set is well within his skillset. He does need a bit more sharpening in the nuances of Zone Coverage but besides that, say hello to the best pure cover corner in the Draft. Rounding out the other three, Fulton just may emerge as the best man cover corner from the class but he still needs some refinement as combo routes get to him a bit. Same goes with A.J. but at a worse scale. Jeff Gladney does not have this issue but it is safe to speculate where exactly does he go in the Pros?! Outside can be fine but just do not expect him to take on bigger receivers with tremendous success. One could put him inside but such zone and man talent would be a bit of a waste to be placed there despite the importance of running three deep in Corners. For Gladney, he is a bit of a boom or bust due to the fact that, while he has the tools to become a quality number one Corner, it will depend heavily on who he is up against rather than what scheme is being ran.

Safety:

1.) *** Isaiah Simmons ***: University of Clemson

2.) Xaiver Mckinney: University of Alabama

3.) Grant Delpit: Louisiana State University

4.) Antonie Winfield Jr: University of Minnesota

5.) Ashtyn Davis: University of California-Berkeley

Much like the Linebackers, nothing to add here. However, there is a bit of a twist. Unlike the majority of the top five for other positions, I really believe that, barring extreme circumstances, the safety rankings are not changing for the remainder of the 2020 Draft Season. I do apologize everyone but I really do not foresee any major change within this group here.

Okay everyone! That will do it for the final installment of this series. Before we go, some final notes.

Final Notes:

I initially thought that players like Marvin Wilson, Hamsah Nasirildeen, K.J. Costello and Creed Humphrey were going to go into this draft. Had they did, this would have been one of the most stacked drafts since 2017. Sadly, this did not happen and all we are left with is a draft that is too top heavy in my opinion. Sure, the Top 75 players usually are among the best in the class but more often than not we usually see those late round gems. Outside of names like Cole McDonald, Devin Duvernay, A.J. Dillon, Logan Wilson, Amik Robertson and Tanner Muse, there really is not too much to get excited for. As stated before, this Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver class is by far the deepest and most talented I have seen since 2014. Beyond those two positions though, too many unanswered questions for the others. For example, after Chase Young, everyone else is either scheme dependent or athletically limited. After Joe Burrow, who I still have questions on, the rest of the "Big Three" is way too much of an uncertainty there and will likely have to redshirt overall; Tua most notably. Running Backs do not have a defined number one. I would say that the Interior Offensive Line has some depth but beyond the likes of Ruiz, Cushenberry III, Simpson, Bredeson and others, the rest of the pickings are slim. I could go on and on about the other positions but the overall point has been made already; too top heavy.

That said, do I think this will be a bad draft class?! No. Will there be some great players to come from it?! Absolutely. Could this class have been better?! Most definitely.

Conclusion:

Alright everyone, that will do it for the final installment of the Top Five By Position Rankins!! Very soon I will have the Top 32 Big Board; the Steelers Mock Draft soon thereafter. Definitely will be some very unusual choices for the mock draft so you do not want to miss it! Until then, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! Until next time, take care and stay safe everyone! :)

Go Steelers!! :herewego:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thank you for doing this. Don't agree 100%, but no one will.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree 100% that no one will agree 100%

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    WAG: Jalen Hurts goes to the Pats @ 23... and becomes a player. :facepalm:

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I personally doubt it.

Bill Belichick's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He believes he can coach any player up to become something far more than they should be. These same rules will apply to Jarrett Stidham.

That said, look for New England to address other needs. Look for them to acquire either a Offensive or Defensive Tackle.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019