1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Top 32 NFL Big Board: Pre Bowl Edition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Nov 22, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello fellow brothers and sisters of TheSteelersFans! AskQuestionsLater here giving you my very first mid way Big Board of sorts!! I understand there is still much college football left but that does not mean we cannot ponder the possibilities and take a guess as to whom is the best of the best and seperate them from the best of the rest. As always, before we begin, a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

Now, last year I explained my reasonings as to why players one through thirty two were placed in which they are. This year I will be doing something different. As opposed to explain each prospect individually, I will explain the board itself in detail but not overbearing this time. Furthermore, I do plan on adding a "Top 5 Player By Position" tomorrow as the previous file for this was deleted. So I have to start from scratch and I also do not remember every name from that list the same.

Anyway, back to the board, quite a bit has happened to this class thus far. Quite the ever changing state of flux even by Big Board standards. Those who had no business being in the Top 32 are in and those who were Top 5 have either slipped or nosedived. To take a look at who made the cut, let us see who made the list.

Keep in mind though that this list is not for the Pittsburgh Steelers. This list showcases the best 32 players according to yours truly.

Without further introduction, let us get this party started!!

2020 NFL Big Board (Pre Bowl Edition)

1.) A.J. Epenesa: EDGE from the University of Iowa

2.) Chase Young: EDGE from Ohio State University

3.) Andrew Thomas: Offensive Tackle from the University of Georgia

4.) Jerry Judy: Wide Receiver from the University of Alabama

5.) Joe Burrow: Quarterback from Louisiana State University

6.) Jeffery Okudah: Cornerback from Ohio State University

7.) Derrick Brown: Defensive Tackle from the University of Auburn

8.) Isaiah Simmons: Hybrid Defender from the University of Clemson

9.) Tristan Wirfs: Offensive Tackle from the University of Iowa

10.) Henry Ruggs III: Wide Receiver from the University of Alabama

11.) Justin Herbert: Quarterback from the University of Oregon

12.) CeeDee Lamb: Wide Receiver from the University of Oklahoma

13.) Creed Humphrey: Center from the University of Oklahoma

14.) Dylan Moses: Linebacker from the University of Alabama

15.) Javon Kinlaw: Interior Defensive Lineman from the University of South Carolina

16.) Kristian Fulton: Cornerback from Louisiana State University

17.) Trevon Diggs: Cornerback from the University of Alabama

18.) Xavier Mckinney: Defensive Back from the University of Alabama

19.) Tyler Biadasz: Center from the University of Wisconsin

20.) Tua Tagovailoa: Quarterback from the University of Alabama

21.) Grant Delpit: Defensive Back from Louisiana State University

22.) D'Andre Swift: Running Back from the University of Georgia

23.) DeVonta Smith: Wide Receiver from the University of Alabama

24.) Yetur Gross Matos: EDGE from Penn State University

25.) Neville Gallimore: Defensive Tackle from the University of Oklahoma

26.) Jake Fromm: Quarterback from the University of Georgia

27.) Antonie Winfield Jr.: Safety from the University of Minnesota

28.) Bryce Hall: Cornerback from the University of Virginia

29.) Marvin Wilson: Interior Defensive Lineman from Florida State University

30.) Raekwon Davis: Interior Defensive Lineman from the University of Alabama

31.) Jalen Hurts: Quarterback from the University of Oklahoma

32.) Tyler Johnson: Wide Receiver from the University of Minnesota.

There you have it everyone! All 32 players who are currently the best. Now, before we go, time to answer some questions in the final notes.

Final Notes:

- Chase Young vs. A.J. Epenesa is the latest duel within the EDGE debate. One is the bonafide freak of nature with the versatility to match while the other has the relentless motor with the technical savvy to win. Neither player truly has one glaring advantage over the other... at least not entirely. Chase Young can be deployed anywhere on the perimeter to attack opposing QBs while dropping into coverage. A.J. Epenesa on the other hand, uses his effort, tenacity and sheer power to control the trenches at his beckon call. That said, there is one factor that cannot be understated; effort. As often known about these transcendent freaks; effort is the question. Effort and desire have to go hand in hand for you either have it or do not. As such, A.J. Epenesa is currently my favorite player as he gives me 100% every play and has more than enough athleticism to win. Add his superior capabilities in the running game and that is worth a risk taking over the freakish multi role, all out attack EDGE Rusher.

- Yes everyone, where you see Tua and Grant is not a mirage. It is all too true I am afraid; doubly so for Grant Delpit. I have been skeptical of Tua since 2017 when signs of his frailty popped up about his index finger. Since then, he has had a string of injuries; this hip being the icing on the cake. Add the fact that even not accouting the injuries, a collection of "Exotic Sports Cars" and some "Heavily Guarded Protection" makes me question how good Tua truly is. Regarding Grant Delpit, boy oh boy. I don't remember seeing a player of his caliber fall so far from a season ago. What the heck happened?! Even before the injury, missed tackles were still too much for me. Grant Delpit is a great athlete but not to the caliber of whom he has been compared to in both Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick; the latter many believed that was surpassed by Grant.

- A couple of surprises here! Dylan Moses stays for me. Given the fact that his injury happend at the beginning of the season, he has plenty of time to heal. Dylan was a Top 5 player but sadly slipped. He still is a game changer. Speaking of changing the game, anyone here remember Antonie Winfield?! Meet his son, the Jr. However, unlike his father, I see more range from Winfield Jr. than I did Sr. As such, assuming he tests well, Antonie Winfield just might be the best pure Safety in the class as his ballhawking skills within the Safety class are second to none. Heck, he is the perfect fit for being the true Single High, Deep Centerfielder due to his range, Football IQ and Instincts. Biggest one is the return of top flight Offensive Centers in Creed Humphrey and Tyler Biadasz. Both surpass the likes of Garrett Bradbury and Erik McCoy from a season ago.

- I understand that the Hybrid role is still undefined but Isaiah Simmons truly does not have a role and therefore could end up being the most electrifying player in the class; nevermind defender. Much like Derwin James, line him up anywhere that is not the Single High Free Safety role. Unlike Derwin James though, Isaiah does not have some of the consistency woes I had with Derwin when he came out. For one, Isaiah is coming full speed but brings it 100% each play. For two, Isaiah has far superior athletic traits than Derwin James did. Most importantly though, Isaiah has been proven to be a dependable player as there has been no health issues. Derrick Brown though, is not far behind as he is not just a game wrecker but also is a game changer. His biggest issue this season has been health. Beyond that though, for his position, Derrick Brown is as good as they come as he is the complete package. Reminds me of Haloti Ngata a bit.

- Remember how last season's Cornerback class did not have a Corner selected until the late 20s?! Guess what?!?! This year's Cornerback Class FAR surpasses last year's. Not even close. Nevermind Jeffery, Kristian or even Trevon. One can make the argument that Bryce Hall could have been the firsr Corner taken in last year's draft. This is not accouting for other Corners like Stanford's Paulson Adebo or even A.J. Terrell.

- Final statement I have here. There SO MANY deep and talented positions in 2020!! I understand the rule of three here in which there is going to be a loaded class but this class takes the term "loaded" to levels in which I have never seen before! Seriously though! Just about every position this year has a clear cut number one with some serious challengers! Going to be interesting to see if this class keeps it up!!

Alright everyone, that does it for the notes! I understand that some of you might be disappointed with the lack of clarity but rest assured any unanswered questions you might have will be soon. Time to wrap this up!!

Conclusion:

I do not think I have been this excited for a draft class since... ever! Yes, yes, 2010-2012, 2014, 2016 and even 2017 thus far turned out to have some awesome gems but 2020?!?! Most of these guys in the top 32 could be argued to be the best at their position had they been in the past two to three drafts. Again though, nothing is written in stone for this class just yet but the talent and potential of these players is truly something I have not seen. Bowl Week cannot come soon enough!!

That will do it for me everyone! Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy! Tune in next time as Bowl Week rapidly approaches!! Who knows what will happen between now and then! Once again, so long everyone and take care!!!

Go Steelers!! :herewego:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good stuff, AQL :thumbs_up:

No Notre Dame players though :shrug:

Kidding, you know I like my Notre Dame players.

Kareem, Okwara, Gilman and Claypool will be on my wishlist. All should be available after the first but Okwara may make it in.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    WR Justin Jefferson LSU. That would be my target now in the 2nd, 6'3", family tradition in football which MT and KC look for it seems. Big time player and with all the shuffling at WR this year would be a huge bonus to JuJu's production as well.

4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    A QB I've been watching as a potential pick, is Kellen Mond. He won't be a 1st rounder. I really like his skill set and size. He has some tools to work with.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good stuff. I think after its all said and done the steelers will be looking at 3 positions for their top picks in the 2020 draft

1. Edge Rusher - Yeah, I know. Having Bud finally break out has been big for our defense, but he has likely priced himself out of town. Cutting Chickillo might be an option to save money as well. I'm thinking a 2nd or 3rd round edge rusher could be what we are looking at

2. Interior OL - Pouncey has had some snapping issues this year (over the head and low). Foster isnt getting any younger either. We will likely need a starter at either G or C in the near future. TBH i even like the idea of Feiler as the heir at G and having someone else at tackle (Chuks? Banner?) but in that scenario, we need a C.

3. Defensive Line - This is dependent on what we do with Hargrave. Alualu is solid and Buggs has been fine so far, but we could use another guy in here with some talent.

Sleepers - WR will be looked at probably, CB possibly?, OT if Feiler is going to G, gonna need another TE too but very low priority IMO (preferrably one that can be the TE3 and FB2 as well as be a ST terror)

I dont see us being interested in QB, RB, ILB, S too much

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! Wanted to update you all on the Top Five By Position update!

That subject has now received its own thread!! I apologize for the late notice! Techncial difficulties prevented me from posting it within this thread.

The thread itself will be posted soon!! Please be on the lookout for it!!

Thank you all in advance! :herewego:

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Great work. I was thinking about this today, who would be available when the Steelers pick. Many needs, the eyes seem to always want that sexy pick, yet an upcoming need is Pouncey's replacement. I know he won't be there, but Tyler Biadasz would look good in the Black and Gold. Just the name alone..badasz lol. Not sure in C is even in the radar with so many needs, but for the most part we have had (I believe) 4 centers in the last 40 plus years...unbelievable. Tyler could well make that 50 plus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason a Center in Round Two is still not out of the cards. Maurkice Pouncey's health is no guarantee at this point. Better to get someone now to prevent the issue mutating into a problem later.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd say center is a real possibility. If we lose Dupree so will pass rusher. I can say that there aren't a ton of holes for us to fill and I think a really good interior lineman can help us out big time. Foster and Pouncey are up there in age and bringing in a young guy makes sense.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As always, great work AQL.

That Esoeneza vs Young is a nice debate. At this point I'm sticking with Young but I certainly understand the love for the Hawkeye.

As I said last year, I did not think the 2020 draft would be a strong one. I am doubling down on that as I have shifted all the QBs downwards with the exception of Burrows who has trended upwards for me.

There are some electric skill players and a few stud defenders but overall, I don't think this is a strong defensive class.

In saying that, from a Steelers perspective, this draft has to be Offense Offense Offense.

Tight End will be of the utmost priority and I am going to focus on that extensively this off-season.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! AQL here with a quick update!

The very first bowl game will be on December 20th. I do plan to have a final Pre Bowl Top 32 as well as a Top 5 By Position rankings before that time the same. I will update those before that date!

Please stay tuned!

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    well that was a short-lived pipe dream :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1