1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Free Agents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d prefer to see them pay JuJu next year rather than bring in a FA. I’m hoping we feel much better about the WR room by the end of the season. JuJu, DJ and JW have huge promise. They are not in a bad place there at all, although they are not doing well at the minute.

Steelers could potentially lose Bud, Hargrave, Hilton and Davis in FA at the end of the year and they have no 1st or 3rd round pick. OLB in particular looks like a looming problem. Shaq Barrett would be nice if they can afford him, I expect they can’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I’m sure Manny wants to come back, especially after he dogged Ben in public.

4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I heard speculation that the Patriots were going to try to trade for AJ Green. That was the overnight guy on Fox Sports Radio for what it is worth.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Shaq was my #1 free agent target this past offseason when he was still affordable. :facepalm:

6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That would have been awesome. They were never picking him up once they gave Bud that fifth year though. Chance is gone now.

I think there is a narrative out there that the Steelers have loads of cap room from next year once AB’s money comes off but they really don’t. Ben’s new contract is massive and they need to lock up some of their young guys. They will probably be right up against the cap again with very little left for free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    AJ wants to stay and finish out in Cincinnati. He'll be 32 at the start of next season. It'll be interesting to see if he'll take less to say but this is his last chance contract to make money.

I think a backloaded 4 year deal for $40 million with $20 million guaranteed would be fair.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With Bud and AB that's about 30 million off the cap, also cut Barron and Moncrief probably another 10 million in savings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Over the cap is currently showing 2.5m cap space for 2020. Ben, Pouncey, Tuitt, Hayward, DD, Haden and Nelson are all big earners and like I said JuJu will be looking for a contract next off season and Watt the year after.

I know they can make cuts and move money around and the overall cap will increase but i don’t think they’ll have the amount of room some people are expecting

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Of all the 2020 FA's, the ones I want them to sign for sure are:

Feiler
    Banner
    Hilton
    Hodges
    Finney

None of those guys should break the bank and they are all solid pieces to the team.

For what you're probably going to have to pay Hargrave, I think you have to let him walk. I think they plan on that anyway.

Davis is gone with Fitz signed.

I think they'll sign Vannett considering they gave up a pick, and he shouldn't cost too much.

Burns is gone.

See ya DIrty Red.

That leaves Bud. Bud seems like he's playing a little better but he's still only on pace for 8 sacks. Which would be his highest total after 5 years in the league as a 1st round pass rusher. Obviously not what anyone was hoping for. This is what Bud is, but I still think he has the potential for double digit sacks. But obviously hasn't done that in 5 years. Whether they offer him anything or not before he hits free agency, it would be best for Bud to go free agent and see what the market is. It would be best for the Steelers too. If they have any interest in signing him back, let the market dictate his value. They might get him cheaper than what they planned on offering. If he goes, take your comp pick and move on.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Usually not good with cap lol. Signing Ben is either dumb or smart depending how he plays next year

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben, Tuitt, Haden and Nelsons cap numbers all rise substantially next year effectively wiping out the AB / Bud savings.

Cutting Barron, Moncrief and Chickillo would save nearly $15m. Vance is another potential cap casualty given all his injuries imo. They can save $6m by cutting him loose at the end of the year.

Ben’s situation is interesting, they can cut ties with Ben for $25m saving $8m on the cap. I don’t think that will happen but it will certainly be a conversation if MR grows in to the job between now and the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, it will definitely take some cuts and restructuring/extensions to allow for any outside free agent signings. The thing about cutting Vance is that he’s pretty damn good when he’s healthy. He’s a solid blocker, and he’s one of the most dangerous receiving threats in the league at the TE position. He was underutilized with Ben, but will be a key cog in our offense the rest of the way (if he gets healthy). I wouldn’t do it.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't see them cutting Ben either, he will be coming off an injury & the Rooneys probably consider him 'family'.

Watching 5 years of Dud Dupree has me convinced that he will never hit double digit sacks. Unless he plays in a 4-3 with a stud dlineman next to him to cause concern for the tackle blocking him.

I hope Vannett will be affordable, good tight ends seem to be scarce in the league. Is he good enough to take the #1 from Vanimal?

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The reason I mentioned him is injuries, there would be no question of cutting him otherwise. If he is only good for 6-8 games a year and Vannett looks capable between now and January then it’s going to be discussed internally you would think.