1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fearthesteel, Jan 4, 2020.

1. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    in my opinion the steelers always try to draft by team needs. i would like to see them draft by bpa, switch it up. if jonathan taylor is available im taking him he looks like a hardnose runner. steeler style. last year i wanted a.j. brown and look see how he's turning out.

for example look at the 2018 draft t. edmunds was a huge reach because we needed safety help. imo take best player available. then in positions of need get a free agent in. a free agent cant be worse than a wasted pick not knowing what ur gonna get and reaching like in t edmunds case. what do you think?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Free Agency and the Draft compliment each other. Unless you are rebuilding, you really should not over prioritize one over the other barring extreme circumstances. For example, the 2015 Denver Broncos had key Free Agent pickups that would lead them to a Super Bowl win. That said, look at how the Broncos performed after maxing out. It would take them four years to find another good Quarterback.

As for the Steelers needs for the draft, unless J.K. Dobbins or Chuba Hubbard is under consideration, I would take the highest graded Offensive Lineman; Interior preferably. Now, if shifting Matt Feiler to Left Guard then allowing Chuks and Zach Banner to duke it out for the Right Tackle spot is the main objective, head for an Interior Defensive Lineman.

Neville Gaillimore, Raekwon Davis, Leki Fotu, or even Rashard Lawrence would be my picks. Each of these players can not only play the nose but also play some 3-4 DE; Raekwon and Rashard especially. Those two might get the nod but Neville reminds me fondly of Javon although he is a twin turbocharged version of Javon as he has far more athletic ability.

Now, if Brycen Hopkins is still on the board by our pick, he should be in play. Vance has regressed it appears and Nick Vannet cannot seem to offer much of anything. Add Vance's injury woes and Tight End is also a position in play. Keep in mind that if Ben is coming back, he will need a reliable safety value. Brycen Hopkins is as safe as they come.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The highest rated tight end in the 2nd. Nose tackle in the 3rd.

The tight end and nose position to me is the most urgent.

With the possible release of McDonald and Vannett being an UFA and Gentry not screaming starter it is an immediate need.

Hargrave will get more then the Steelers can pay and that leaves Dan Dan the lifetime contract man. Can you imagine? Another immediate need.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They did BPA forever and that's how we never had any good DBs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree and I've been telling family & friends for the past several years that the Steelers need to get back to this philosophy. I did a little digging and found this article that supports that they were actually the innovators of this practice back in the '70s while building a dynasty, but switched from that practice and IMO reached on picks and lacked adequate debt at times.

“When we draft our collegiate players, we not only look to fill needs. Our philosophy is to draft the best player available.” — Chuck Knoll

https://artplusmarketing.com/a-draft-strategy-that-changed-the-nfl-1204b70399a6

This draft will be a challenge due to the lack of picks so they do not have the luxury of reaching for a player and need to take the best available regardless of position.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Watching this years draft is going to make us cringe as we watch 49 top prospects get taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Chuck Noll or Chuck Knox?

8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am writing in Minkah Fitzpatrick with the 18th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, then the next 32 doesn't look so bad.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The 2nd-3rd-4th best RB in the draft should be available.
    Is this a deep draft class? Asking any draft experts. What positions are stocked well this year?

10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Walter football has us drafting the QB from Colorado, Montez, in the second round. I didn't like what I read about him. He has a cannon for an arm and they compare his arm strength to Josh Allen but they said he is "timid" in the pocket and falls apart under pressure. I say who needs a long range project like that, let's draft a position that can help us right away like TE or OL.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And it was even a quote ............."Knoll". :facepalm:

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I won’t cringe. I’ll just ask myself “would this guy help us more (especially in 2020 and 2021) than our 1st team All Pro safety?”, and the answer will be no in all cases.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There's good depth at RB and WR

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What about olinemen? Think any go in the top 10?

15. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    OT Andrew Thomas from Georgia has a good chance of being selected in the top 10.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Andrew Thomas is projected to go in the top 10

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I am not writing off either Chuks or Zach to overtake Big Al after Big Al is gone after 2020. For that matter, I am more intrigued as to what will become of Matt Feiler in terms of position. I would assume that, to reduce the level of needs on the Offensive Line, Matt Feiler is kicked inside to take over for Ramon at Left Guard.

That leaves the Right Tackle spot wide open. Declare it an open competition between Banner and Chuks. May the best man win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly this.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Minkah will be 23 anyways by the time the 2020 NFL Draft rolls around. There are not many players in this draft who will be instant impact First Team All Pro Rookies anyways. The only ones I see are as follows;

Isaiah Simmons

Chase Young

Derrick Brown

Andrew Thomas

Tyler Biadasz

That is it as I see it. Want to know something fascinating though Blast?!?! Here you go!!

All of the aforementioned players are either going into the Top 5 to Top 15. For us to acquire a First Team All Pro with pick 18 is truly an accomplishment to be noted!! :)

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not pay too much attention to Charlie Campbell anyway. He is a bit off his analysis of certain players for teams; Steven Montez being among them. Even more so, he has some UNUSUAL reports before the Draft commences.

His most infamous report came back days before the 2016 Draft. Before Day One commenced, Charlie was heavily implying that the careers of both Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith were over due to their injuries. He could have not been more wrong.

Of the two, Jaylon has had the greater success. That said, Jaylon Smith is the far better of the two as Myles severly underperformed this season. Within that same vein, we will never see the legendary speed and explosivness from Jaylon that we saw back before the events in the 2015 Fiesta Bowl.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative for me. Fitzpatrick was worth what they gave up. Slam dunk. But alas they got him all due to the injury to Davis and Kelly's below average play. I thank both! Our starting secondary sans one (who the jury is still deliberating) were all signed or traded for from the outside.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No, we've been doing bpa for a certain position ... that's how we ended up with burns and edmunds. The two guys that we wanted were takened ... so these two were consolations. Hoping that they would excel

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed. RB Dobbins in round 2.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Him or Najee Harris would be my choices. Both have plenty of tread on their proverbial tires. Of the two, J.K. Dobbins would be my choice.

That said, I can easily see him being the first back selected in the draft. As good as Swift is, Dobbins to me has greater upside as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I get the allure of drafting a RB in the 2nd we can envision as a work horse and the future of the position but Conner though injury prone is here for another year at least. Snell will certainly get a bigger opportunity and I’m thinking he makes the jump in conditioning that will help him. I see Whyte sticking as a change of pace so I doubt we look at that type of a RB. Add in the fact we have limited draft capital a RB selected that early would be expected to play early and often. I just don’t see it especially when the draft is extremely deep at RB. IMO maybe with our early 4th....

• Agree Agree x 3