1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Steelers NFL Mock Draft: Pro Day Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 7, 2018.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Greetings everyone and hello to all. AskQuestionsLater here giving you my updated outlook of the 2018 NFL Draft plans for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Now that all the pro day's are all but wrapped up, now comes the time for evaluators and scouts to dig into what they have learned about the player and the person behind the pads of said player. Any and all information that would be beneficial will impact each prospect for their chances to be selected by an NFL team to live out their dream. For Steelers prospects, going back to the likes of Ryan Shazier, it seems that specific non football related traits must be mandates in order for not just the first pick but the entire class to possess. They are as follows but do not represent an order of any kind;

1.) Intregity. Players need to have some form of moral compass that will allow them to further themselves in their respective careers and, more so, in life. While the team has had exceptions to the rules, it seems that this trait is the most coveted for the team.

2.) Humility. Not so much in simplistic outcomes such as winning or losing but rather knowing the do's and don'ts of being a professional.

3.) Desire. Again, not so much from a self improvement standpoint but how bad the individual seeks greater success both on and off the field.

4.) Perserverence. Being able to admit fault with oneself is one thing but being able to follow through with ones actions while admitting so is more challenging.

5.) Leadership. Not so much to just being able to stand above others but inspire their fellow teammates without degregation.

6.) Camaraderie. While this should be a mandate for every team, there are certain exceptions as we have seen throughout the years. That being said, this trait is becoming more and more scare as a result.

There are more characteristics within this paradigm but these ones stick out specficially. I am sure many of you have an idea of what such football players are; "Heart's 'n' Smarts" types. Such players are coveted within Pittsburgh as it can create a very family oriented atmosphere without diminishing the team's core purpose; winning super bowls. With that in mind, my mock draft will focus upon not just the athletic intangilbes of the propsects but also the ethics based ones the Steelers covet so much. However, as always, before we begin, a quick disclaimer:

These opinons are only a representation the writer and do not represent or are transparent with the opinions other members of TheSteelersFans board of site members, moderators or site adiminstrator.

With that out of the way, let us not dimish any more time and begin shall we?

With the 28th pick in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Jessie Bates III; Safety from Wake Forest University (6'2, 199lbs.)

Initially reading Jessie Bates III the athlete and, looking back on him, perhaps I misjudged him. At the time, I was really into Justin Reid and Ronnie Harrison; two very talented and gifted athletes who not only are team players but impact ones at that. Jessie Bates... was an afterthought in comparison; a centerfielding safety who has considerable range and ball skills with the ability to lay some wood albeit from a much lesser standpoint. However, as time went along, I began to realize what others were seeing in Bates that I did see; his communication skills. With the addition of both John Bostic and Morgan Burnett, communication of the defense has been a big selling point. Given the fact that his time at Wake Forest was short, building a rapport with his fellow defenders made him an instant hit for the Demon Decons after his freshman season. Outside of his ball skills and ball tracking abilities; arguably best in the draft at that, his communication skills proved vital for the Demon Decons in both the 2016 Military Bowl and 2017 Belk Bowl victories. Add his age; only 21, his athletcism and his centerfielding abilities and you have a player who has the capabiliites to come in and contribute early either on defense or special teams. Sure, his tackling fundementals are lacking from a form and pursuit standpoint and he does need to add some weight to his frame. However, Tom Bradley and NFL weight room training are all that is required to aliveate many of the issues that Bates III has.

With the 28th pick in the second round, 60th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Malik Jefferson; Linebacker from the University of Texas (6'3, 236lbs)

Ah yes, meet another possible second rounder, likely to be questioned by Steelers fans world wide. From 2014 onward, it seems that the second round has been hit or miss thus far. Malik Jefferson appears to be the likely incumbent to be within that line of questionable choices. While neither Tomlin nor Colbert attended the Texas Pro Day, Jefferson just recently had a visit with the team not too long ago; clearly a sign they are showcasing interest in the former Longhorn. Being as tremendously atheltic as he is and also being a former five star recruit means such capabilities should translate to the field right? Well.. unfourtunately, this is where Malik gets himself into trouble. His biggest weakness though is his inability to shed blocks. It is not that he is imcapable of engaging upon contact but he struggles very much so doing so. What makes this more strange is his bench press at the combine; 27 reps total which was second only to Christiain Sam from Arizona State University. Within that same vein though, Ryan Shazier initially possessed these same issues as well. Granted, the size difference is a major rebuttal but what is not is both players projections; 4-3 "Will" or 3-4 "Mack". Outside of his abilities and deficiences from an athletic standpoint, Malik is a high chartacter person; never having been in any sort or form of indecencies. Sure, he was not the "alpha male" within the Texas Longhorns defense but was the proveribal "Straw that stirred the drink" player. Add his communication skills and his desire to improve from what he knows best and we just may have found our "Mack" solution in the draft. While most people believe he is going to need some time, given his impressive coverage abilities and natural athleticism and instincts, I believe that Jefferson could be starting sooner than later.

With the 28th pick in the third round, 92nd overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Kerryon Johnson; Running Back from the University of Auburn 6'0, 213)

I know. I know. Some of you wanted a three round, all defensive draft. However fellow members, barring any extreme circumstances in the draft, I doubt that willl be the case as the major case of this happening would be 2016. Regarding what Mr. Johnson can do, I think of him almost like Le'veon Bell but hold the narcissism and arrogance. While at Auburn, traits such as leadership and perserverence are sought after; a conference featuring the mighty Alabama no less. Due to this, Auburn counted on Kerryon and he delievered when he was needed. I state "when" due to the fact that Kerryon has some serious medical concerns heading into the draft. If anything, if his entire medical history showcased no major concerns, I would have him above Derrius Guice as the second best running back in the draft. That being said however, that is where the devil is in the little details. Johnson still needs some NFL weight room training as it still stands but is able to assist in the passing game if need be. In addition, due to his medical past, some teams have either downgraded him or removed him from their boards entirely. Given the fact that round three is the third of the three rounds where you need to find some eventual starter to starter capable talent, there is no reason to assume that Pittsburgh would not elect to nab Le'Veon Bell's possible successor by drafting a player who might someday be Le'Veon Bell but possess none of the self absorbed traits.

With the 11th pick in the fifth round, 148th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Justin Watson; Wide Receiver from the University of Pennsylvania (6'3, 219lbs)

Much like my previous mock draft but with a different look, rounds four to seven is where the depth building can begin. For the Steelers, this all starts with the receiving corps. While an FCS talent appears too high on this list, keep in mind that Justin Watson has broken many records, both at the University of Pennslyvania and in the Ivy League. Being a senior also helped as he got to compete against FBS competition in the Senior Bowl. Tomlin and Colbert meeting up with him is also another positive sign. However, the main aspect regarding Watson was his desire to be as good as possible. This is further evident by his 4.39 40 time, 40 inch vertical, and 10'07 broad jump; all outstanding testing numbers. Being a PA native from Bridgeville is also some more feathers to his cap as well. What caught my eye though in the limited flim he does have is he is some serioius ball tracking ability due to his basketball background and his natrual hands. Granted, it is not Most importantly to just being mere depth, we just might be looking at our future JuJu Smith Schuster contigency plan as Martavis is set to leave next season in all likelihood. While he is unlikely to see time this season, he will be a name to remember come 2019.

With the 28th pick in the fifth round, 165th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Tre Flowers; safety from Oklahoma State University (6'3, 207lbs)

The last time we talked about Tre Flowers, we saw him as depth for the safety position. This time? Much of the same although not the same ending. Yes, the Steelers have acquired some depth with Nat Berhe but he is mainly for special teams and not much else. Given how athletic Flowers is, his leadership with the Oklahoma State University defense, and a body with room to grow, more than likely, he will be Nat's backup in case anything goes wrong. Considering that Tom Bradley and Danny Smith will both see to Flowers' development, year one as a special teams player will serve him well as he learns more about the nuances of the fundementals of tackling.

With the 2nd pick in the seventh round, 220th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Tyquan Lewis; Defensive End from Ohio State (6'3, 265)

Ah yes. Another year, likely another edge rusher to be selected within the draft for the Steelers. Given the fact that it is uncertain as to what lies behind T.J. Watt, Bud Dupree and Anthony Chickillo, why not add some depth into the position? Sure, the team has Farrington Hughenin and Keion Adams but neither are locks to make the team. If nothing else, Lewis is competition for both as he does have experience getting to the quarterback as well as dropping in coverage; much less than Sam Hubbard though. One positive aspect about Lewis though is his caramaderie and humility; the former due to his team first mentailty and the latter due to his family oriented personality; being very humbled and privilged to be a brother of three siblings.

With the 28th pick in the seventh round, 246th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select;

Curtis Cothran; Defensive Lineman from Pennsylvania State University (6'5, 305)

To end the draft, the Steelers still need some interior defensive line depth. While Curtis Cothran is not supplanting any current starter or depth option, more than likely, he will be tasked to battle it out against Daniel McCullers. Given the fact that Pittsburgh will likely move on from the "Shade Tree" sooner rather than later, a new experiment is needed to ensure that there will be an emergency back up option should Javon Hargrave fall. As it stands currently, he is still in the process of transforming into an interior lineman but was humble enough to do it in the first place as he was initially supposed to be an edge rusher. Given the fact that he still needs more time to develop but has the desire to do so, he will be counted on in the future but not for the time being.

There you have it everyone. My updated mock. Quite a bit of changes but still focusing on the important aspects of the team. Before we leave today, let me explain the changes from my original;

Justin Reid:

Nevermind his connection with his big brother in Eric Reid. The bigger issue I have with Justin Reid and, ironically enough, is that we already have a "Justin Reid" in Sean Davis from an athletic and position based standpoint. Both are projected to be better at strong safety than free safety and both are exceptional athletes. Looking back at his tape though, while Justin Reid can play any position within the secondary, Sean Davis indirectly did this in his rookie season before getting accustomed to being a full time strong safety. In comparision to Jessie Bates III, he outguns him athleticially but not on tape. Yes, Reid's athletic abilities will save him should he get himself into trouble but he finds himself getting into more trouble due to this than Bates does. Add the fact that Bates III is a true centerfielder and willing tackler (seldom seen among free safeties at that) and Reid ultimatley loses out due to not only BPA but need as well.

Lorenzo Carter:

I should have realized something long ago that I did not realize with players like Lorenzo Carter; players with such athletic traits as an edge rusher will tend to get you overdrafted. He is more than likely an early Day Two selection and worst case being mid second.

Fred Warner:

While Fred Warner may arguably have the best coverage skills of anyone in the draft, Malik Jefferson is a far superior athlete and a more natural fit into what the Steelers would want from a "mack" linebacker. Barring even a pre draft visit, Malik Jefferson would win out in the end due to him playing in a more competitive conferrence in addition to Fred possibly being more scheme limited than even Jefferson.

Allen Lazard:

Looking back at what Pittsburgh values in receivers, explosive capabilities with some strength to boot are the top priorities. Considering that Lazard possess only one of these tratis and not the other in addition to Justin Watson's visit, this was an easy omission.

Joshua Fraizer:

Alright, time for me to face some reality. One, Joshua is only 21. Two, he offers rare length for a nose tackle. Most importantly though, three, some teams will likely have a far higher grade on Frazier and will likely get him overdrafted as a result.

Javarion Franklin:

Running back is likely to be selected sooner than later as Pittsburgh does not often go all three rounds predicated towards either side. Considering that Kerryon Johnson's health concern's will likely see him slide more than he should, this change was very easy.

Jordan Thomas:

Given what the team has been looking for since 2014, while Thomas has the athletic capabilities down, his character concerns are very alarming and something that, even in the seventh round, I do not see Pittsburgh entertaining.

As stated before, this is it for me for my mock draft. I am not too sure if I am going to do another one barring any major developments (i.e. Bud's fifth year option, Bell signs his tender, etc.). That being said though, I thank you for reading and I hoped you enjoyed.

Until next time, take care everyone! :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As always AQL, bravo. Few put more time and effort inot high quality write ups. Wrll done sir. :hi:

I am also very high on Bates. I have him ranked in the 35-40 range, which means if the Steelers want him, at #28 is logical.

IMO, not alot of dropoff from #20-40. All depends what flavour you like.

I also prefer Bates to Reid although they are different. Bates being the rangy Centerfield FS type while Reid is the hybrid FS/SS.

Jefferson at #60 makes sense. Never saw the early 1st round hype about him.

I like your options in the 3rd and 5th as well.

Less than 3 weeks to go! :towel:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice write up and a whole lot of time and effort put into it. I will say I loved your 1st mock so the updated one I am not in love with. Here is my look on you mocks, no disrespect meant just my comments and opinions

Round 1.. I prefer Reid over Bates....Mock 1 winner

Round 2.. I am not a Jefferson fan I think we can get the same player in Burks or Leonard. I am also very high on Carter. Mock 1 winner

Round 3.. This one is the toughest I love both players but I am starting to fall more and more in love with KJ. I call this a draw

Round 5A... I liked Lazard but I like what you had to say about Watson and like his numbers would be very happy with him. Mock 2 winner

Round 5B.. Flowers is a kid I feel is gaining attention and would be a very nice fit with this team love this pick. Mock 2 winner

Round 7A.. I like Lewis a lot better than Franklin here and round 7 who can complain. Mock 2 winner

Round 7B.. I have said for a while that I thought Thomas could be a hidden gem so I like him a lot more. Mock 1 winner.

All in all I agree with 3 of the changes and disagree with 3 and am tied with 1. You done a great job thanks for the post hope you don't take offense for my comments. :thumbs_up:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nice job AQL.

Ive latched onto Fred Warner so slip him in rd 2 and Id be very happy if the first three rds mirrors your draft.

Im still high on Vander but we cant get both him and Bates and Bates is probably my favorite player in the draft.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It would be a solid draft AQL. Not my favorite but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it played out that way. Good job on it..:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I want to add regarding Lewis of the buckeyes, he is a player. The bucks used him quite different this year than last. His numbers show it too. He was mainly used as a DT for them this year with all the talent they have in their front. He mainly played DE last year and the kid CAN play from out there. In that system he is not really a stand up LB that will be a coverage guy but he can stop the run from there and get after the QB. I have always liked him and just never saw a way to get him over some others in a draft scenario. He was used more like Cam Heyward so moving him outside may be a stretch but using him like Cam could be a home run. Those two are similar.:cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So Lewis is a guy who can fill in for Cam in case of an injury or just a breather and still be able to play the 3-4 end AND also the hybrid DT spot? If this is true this is a player we need to have on our radar cause imo these are hard to find. Thanks for posting

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That was a great write up! I would be happy with this draft. I still have my heart set on Evans in the first. But, the more and more I'm reading about Jesse Bates the more I like him. I'm not crazy about Jefferson. I wasn't sure about Shazier either but he turned out alright.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Penny and Ballage over Johnson at RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What makes you say this I have been on the Penny bandwagon from day one and someone(not sure who) here pointed out Ballage awhile ago and I really like what I saw in him. I just recently started looking at KJ(I started a thread about him) and what I saw ranks right up there with both Penny and Ballage. I have been Bell's name mentioned in KJ's running style and he is also being compared to Forte which imo is pretty good. The one thing that really has me hooked on KJ is the fact that he love to pass block and takes pride in it.

I would be tickled pink to have any of these 3 but I am curious why you like the other 2 over him. Maybe I am looking at something different what have you seen that separates these guys?

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That was diamond that pointed out Ballage.

The kid from Miami can pass block as well. He also takes pride in doing it. There are a lot off good RBs in this draft. I expect we will see a couple of undrafted guys too in camp.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Both Penny and Ballage ran a 4.46 at the combine, no recorded time for KJ. If it was up to me I wouldn't draft any of these RBs in the top 3 rounds, I don't see a rookie RB playing much in 2018. Bell will get over 300 carries, Conner will be given a chance also.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Will Conner be ready? :cool:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you are basing your opinion on these guys over the 40 time? One of the things that I have been pounding the table about with Bell is his pass blocking skills and that is something that has me liking KJ a ton.

As for a RB in the first 3 rounds I have no problem with that. It looks like we are gonna move on from Bell next year so let's get a guy in here and learn while Bell is here. I would rather have a guy learn and in place then to have a HOF QB one year older and one year less mobile and one tyear closer to the end have to worry about a rookie RB. If we don't grab one of these guys in the first 3 rounds then we are looking at a 5th or better and I am worried the talent just won't be there. jmo

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello there all! Back again with some final notes. Left these out by accident and, seeing as some of you have some questions, let me knock some of these out.

- For those who thought I had forgot about Leighton Vander Esch, fear not as I did not. However, that being said, the likelihood of him being there at 28 is very unlikely as the Inside Linebacker position is overdue to enter a "Golden Age" of its own. Linebackers who can not only defend the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage while being three down players are becoming more sought after than in years past. Add the fact that there really is a massive dropoff after the likes of Bradley Chubb; doubly so for Mike McGlinchey and you have the classic example of specific players having their stock skyrocket due to circumstance. Within that same vein though, some teams are more than desperate enough overdraft players. That being said, there is light at the end of the tunnel but it is only very dim and slim at that.

- As stated before, seldom does Pittsburgh go all out on one side using all three picks. Now, do I forsee an offensive player being selected in round two yet again? I do. Could it be either Nick Chubb or Sony Micheal? Absolutely. Will it depend on how the board is after round one? Most definitley. That being said, look for some trades heading into the early day portions of day two.

- The likelihood of adding a pass rusher on day three is very likely. The question remains is though in what round do we draft one? Assuming the board falls our way, the fifth round as the best bet. If not, it would have to be the seventh.

That is pretty much it now in terms of the final notes. :lolol:

I am sure some of you still have more questions, such as if both Bates III and Esch are gone or if Pittsburgh has another defensive need that might need addressed. For me though, given the fact that Pittsburgh's historically under Colbert do zero in on specific players, it is not too far fetched on who Pittsburgh will take. As such, these were my final two options;

- Mason Ruldolph (he really should be going earlier but this draft is going to be so weird that seeing him fall will not surprise me)

- Jessie Bates III (We need not just any type of safety but an interchangeable one at that. Yes, Bates has made his penchant known at Wake Forest for being an instinctive centerfielder but is far more flexible than his tape suggests)

With that out of the way, I hope this answers many of your concerns and again, I hope you enjoyed. Until next time everyone, this AskQuestionsLater saying so long and look forward to seeing you all on draft day! :)

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im hoping the run on QB's pushes LVE down to us. Hoping that Rudolph is one of the QB's taken before 28 too.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Same here. :smiley1:

Heck Blast, I am not ruling out the possibility of five Quarterbacks being selected in Round One as I do believe Ruldolph has first round traits. The issue is that, while many teams do need "the guy", what are teams preparing to do just to simply get him? Furthermore, will teams believe in him to draft him?

We shall soon see.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know but if LVE and Bates are both there, thats going to be interesting for me. Its tilted just a little in favor of Bates. Id love either pick though.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He should be, it was a MCL not a ACL :shrug:.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    RBs are a dime a dozen, there will be a RB there in the 5th rd. Give me a draft like 2016 with the first 3 picks all on defense. 2018 is Super Bowl or bust, this is probably the last season with Bryant and Bell. A RB from the draft isn't going to help much this season most likely, get some depth on defense.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He just seems to get dinged up near every carry for some reason. He always comes off the field gimpy after his limited carry or two. I haven't really heard anything about his recovery to date. :cool:

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree if they are a dime a dozen why are the Steelers willing to give one 14m? Also why then don't we stick with Fitz and Conner, they are not a dime a dozen otherwise teams would not be using 2-3-4 rb's every year. jmo

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Eagles and Patriots won the last 2 Super Bowls using RB by committee, the Steelers with the best back in Bell can't even make it to the SB :facepalm:.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Hmmm the Cheats have the GOAT at QB and HC also maybe the defense for the Eagles had a little help in getting them to the SB. :shrug:

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks like we tried sneaking LVE in the service entrance on Saturday. Showing lots of interest he could be the one if available. I wouldn't be mad.....