1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 motto: Shutdown Gronk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, May 1, 2018.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think going into next season against the Patriots the primary goal is to shut down Gronk. I really think the reason why we drafted 2 safeties is to cover Gronk. Need much more physical/smart safeties to shut him down.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One of the pre draft comments on Edmunds was his ability to cover tight ends.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I believe the motto should be something like this;

"One game at a time. One outcome. 1-0 for us."

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

That in addition to his abusrd versatility no less. Terrell and Derwin James are the only defensive backs capable of playing five different positions; Justin Reid the next closest at four but is more suited towards a mutli role safety than a multi role defensive back.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt any of their safeties can cover Gronk one on one.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Only safety who is capable of doing that is Eric Berry as ai saw at the start of the 2017 NFL Season. I would love to say Harrison Smith but I will have to find that out this season.

As for Terrell? Do not feed him to the wolves, their "pack leader" no less. Give him some training before then. No need to rush him.

Realistically speaking, Sean Davis put up quite the commendable effort until everything tore apart in the final minutes of the game. In all actuality, sans that "Gronk Gnashing" he sustained, he held himself well against the likes of Delanie Walker, Eric Ebron and even Travis Kelce a season ago. I am just more comfortable placing him as a Free Safety as he does possess the range to do it. All he needs is the technical and fundemental aspects of it; Tom Bradley's cue.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope the Steelers learned their lesson trying to cover Gronk one on one with that Sean Davis debacle last season.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I think it is safe to say they have. :lolol:

More than likely, I would imagine that, by that time, both Edmunds and Davis can be used in tandem against him.

Two freaks against a force of nature. Still unfavorable odds but I like the odds of two to one than without.

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    by the time we play them in week 15 gronk will be on IR.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, "playing them" but none of them all that well.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I stated he did play all five positions. If anything, of the five, four of which he was efficiently at; Free Safety, Strong Safety, Linebacker and Slot Corner in that order. I never stated he was efficient in all of them. Only Derwin James was.

More over towards the main point of emphasis here, his willingness to assist his team in whatever way he could showcases not just versatility but also selflessness and humility; both of which are seldom seen among players anymore.

That alone is among mamy reasons why I liked this pick. It is one aspect to fill a role because you were directed to even though it affects you in a big way (i.e self centered).

It is another to fill that role using one's volition because one realizes that the team and its success far outweighs personal desires (i.e. seflessness).

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still think the best way to slow Gronk down is to hit him at the LOS. Since Dupree is dropping 75% of the time....lol... he should be hitting him at the line. That is the only way to slow Gronk down...free release and he's beating 99% of the Safeties or LBs designed to stop him...

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No worries, Tomlin and company never make the same mistake twice.o_O

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one shuts down Gronk but limiting the damage would be nice.

Not just Gronk, all top TEs, a particular area of struggle for the Steelers.

Edmunds should help with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Gronk was held to 2 catches for 33 yards in the first half, so it is not like they can't limit the damage.
    They just need to improve enough to do the first half of that game for all 4 quarters.

(The offense scoring more than 7 points in the second half would have helped the defense too.)

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol what? Minkah Fitzpatrick can play any position as well.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No one can shutdown Gronk...

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No he cannot.

Ideally, he is a Malcolm Jenkins clone. Using him any other way is asking for trouble.

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Mono-focusing on stopping one player is beyond moronic.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Gronk unfortunately has consistently lit us up. This in part due to him being a huge (pun intended) mismatch. Also are defensive scheme was easily cut up by Belichik and company. We couldn't out-scheme them like so many others and we did not have the personnel to match up one on one with them.

so they've consistently been beating us for years, both in the coaching and playing department unfortunately. I remember watching the game Brady came in and the old outings with Gildon and Porter rushing off the ends. Intense games back then.. and they still are.

They've had our number. I definitely believe some of the picks at safety are there to help with those mismatches with all teams but specifically New England.

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Pitts given up 3rd and long seam completions to TE's for your years. Be nice to clean that up hahahahaha

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like this one better...

SCREW GRONK!

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    False. He can play free safety, corner, nickel back, rover, and strong safety. Watch more Alabama football fam.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Although the Steelers seem to do a decent job against Kelce.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interestingly enough, I have done, still do and will always watch college games of all types; Alabama notwithstanding. :thumbs_up:

While he can play all those positions, he does not constitute as a "multi role" player the same vein as Derwin James nor Terrell Edmunds; James especially.

Minkah's absolute best fit as a Free Safety; Single High namely a la Malcolm Jenkins where he can move anywhere without limiting his capabilities. Why would a defensive back of his skillset be limitied to play merely cornerback; inside or outside being irrelevant? For that matter, having him in any of those positions as his main position is an absolute waste of his talents.

By the way, "fam"?

[​IMG]