1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2018 draft class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    worst draft class in recent Steelers history so far?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    On what basis? I believe all bar Joshua Frazier are still on the team. At this early stage for assessing a draft class, Edmunds, Okafor, Samuels and Washington have contributed, while not spectacularly, certainty solidly.

3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    This is an offseason type of thread. You are aware theres football on TVs still right?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    not really an offseason type of thread. the product(some) is on the field right now and we are halfway through the season, nothing really jumping out from this class like the previous. better than talking about a dude thats not even on the team

5. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Too early to tell, but Edmunds has looked pretty unimpressive for 1st rounder and Washington has been invisible. Rudolph may show something but not until Ben retires. Almost everyone drafted after Rudolph will have little to no impact and will likely be cut by next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I’ll take that bet

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    I think Samuels will be kept. But other than that...

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah it's not looking that great lol. Very subpar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Chukwuma Okorafor has the talent to be a very good left tackle. Do not be surprised if he pans out under Munchack to be very good.

Edmunds has not been great, but I wouldn't say he's been terrible. He's a rookie give it time. Polamalu didn't exactly light the world on fire his rookie year either.

I'm more surprised with Washington after watching his pre-season he was great, it hasn't come over to regular season, but once again give it time.

Rudolph was a higher pick, but not sure what we have there, only time will tell until #7 gets hurt or retires.

Jaylen Samuels was getting into the act more (Carolina game), With the way Ben is talking you might start to see more of him in sub packages further into the season.

Give a class 3-4 years before judging it harshly.

I think the 2017 draft class was a good one so far, if you hit on 1 out 2 draft classes your doing great in today's NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    So essentially you’re saying Marcus Allen will be cut?

11. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    And Josh Frazier

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    He was cut in September.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pundits forgot to tell him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Terrell Edmunds is starting

Chuks okorafor has started 2 games (you are aware that we have a pro bowl LT in front of him aren't you????)

Jalen Samuels has moved up to #2 on the depth chart (you are aware that james connor is totally balling out don't you???)

James Washington is getting on the field (you are aware that we probably have the best 1-2 punch at wr in the league in front of him don't you????)

Mason Rudolph and Josh dobbs are the future of the QB position and our depth at the position is probably the envy of the league (you are aware that we have a 1st ballot hofer in front of him don't you??)

All in all we may just have the best overall draft class in the league

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

Lmao . . Log off. Samuels is the number 2 by default. Washington losing touches to Switzer who was a late arrival. Dobbs was a project that looks ten times the player that Rudolph is. Dobbs wasn't in this draft class btw. The o line pick I think he'll be solid depth. The Penn State kid will be cut and the 7th rounder was cut. Best draft class in the NFL ? Not this year. Oh yeah Edmunds is getting a pass but he grades really low on pff

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Way too early to make this statement, Washington and Edmunds will turn out to be good picks IMO. Chuks is getting playing time, also Samuels is contributing.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Edmunds has actually played much better after a poor start early in the season. Nevermind his snap counts but his stats back that up as well. James Washington will hit his stride sooner than later at this point. Like Fitchner said, it is only a matter of time. Chuks and Samuels are the two I am most excited for. Both have not only good depth potential even now but starting potential down the road.

Again, unthinkably, colossally too early to tell at this point. Too many varibles and nevermind events from now until 2020 at the earliest to pass judgement. Development takes time. Not every draft class is going to be like the one we had last season.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone who questions a draft class when a little over half a season has been played seems to be clueless. I guess some people never learn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Just because you don't have a rookie of the year doesn't men it is lacking.

Did you see that dive into the endzone by Jaylen Samuels?

As for Terrell Edmunds, must I remind again that Troy Polamalu was ALSO considered a bust this time of year in his rookie year.

James Washington? Ju Ju, AB, Vance McDonald, James Conner, Jessie James.. A ton of options. Doesn't mean he is bad.

Relax and enjoy the show. The Steelers are doing very well with what they have.

20. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Way too early to judge this class.I Hope Edmunds pans out and he seems to be improving but don’t compare him to Troy as Troy was a legitimate 1st round pick even though he had problems learning LeBeau’s complex system his first year.Edmunds could of been had in the second or third round probably.Even though Butler is a student of LeBeau he’s dumbed down the complexity of LeBeau’s system tremendously.You can’t compare Troy’s first year with Edmunds in any form except that they both had some problems their rookie year!I hope Edmunds becomes a good db but to mention him and Troy in the same sentence is an insult to Troy!

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I’m not sure he’s 2 by default. Certainly Ridley has failed to impress. Samuels in limited duty appears better catching the ball than running at this point. He needs to get a series in the first half where the D isn’t expecting run. Have success and earn some more carries.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I distinctly remember people crying about Polamalu being a bust ON THIS BOARD in his rookie year.. yes I'm that old and took many years off here. different account.. remember steel hack lol some dude named mulpwr << pretty smart.

Anyways I think we can all agree that any presumption that Polamalu was a bust was made in error.

How can we possibly grade Terrell Edmund's potential?

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Polamalu was more gifted physically than Edmunds. His explosiveness to the ball was as good as I've ever seen in a safety. He was truly a freakish talent.

Edmunds does not have that upside. Few safeties do. That doesn't mean he's a bust, but the comparisons to Polamalu don't really hold up well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think your district memory of THIS BOARD may or may not be accurate. I know I used to participate on the board on Steelers.com, but that site really sucked. Then I saw a post to come here circa 2010. While I don’t know how long this site has been up, I’m kind of doubting it was that long.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Terrell Edmunds not a freak? Interesting. That was never a negative in his draft reports. If I recall correctly, he was viewed as a freakish talent; a height/weight/speed speciem if you will.

I do not see many 6'0 1/2 safeties weighing 217lbs. running a sub 4.5 and jumping 41 inches vertically and 134 inches via the long jump. For that matter, sans Derwin James, I did not see any safeties from this draft showcasing the abilities to play up to five different positions in college either.

However, given all this information, I do understand that there could still be skepticism. Instead of continually magnify his athletic capabilities through one's own opinion, let us obtain more reliable, consistent quotes instead.

So, I repeat myself just to be clear and concise:

"Terrell Edmunds not a freak?"

Again...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3