1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Draft, How should we handle it?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersfan35, Nov 6, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Peppers is projected to be a safety in the NFL.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We will see what he runs. He may ultimately end up at S, although I think it would be much more of a Box Safety responsible for covering TEs or slot WRs. I just tend to think that a guy like Peppers, you want him around the action as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    With amount of depth we've built by "hitting" on mid-late round picks over the last few drafts... This is the draft where we could invest some draft pick capital in to trading up in the 1st round.

I hope they have a few Edge targets in mind, and make a move up to secure one of them (McKinley)

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I could understand the early season comparisons in the CFB to Troy and himself.

Even I have to admit, Troy was good with his range but not great. I think that Peppers can be great with his. For me though, it is his lack of awareness in coverage that gets to me.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If Peppers and McKinley are both on the board by then, that could create some interesting discussion for sure.

A top 10 talent with the versatility to do it all vs. an EDGE rusher with the highest ceiling in the draft (Bud Dupree 2.0 as I see it).

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Finally somebody thinking out of the box. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS YOU MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Absolutely. Although I'd be totally okay with us trading up for Malik Hooker too. Either way, i think it would be worth it if we really believed in someone.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not sure peppers ball skills are what we want on the backside. mckinley has one year of production. both are good athletes but do they translate to the pros as well? if hooker is there i agree SG, we move on him. i think the pass rushers are fairly even in the 2-3 rounds as they are in the first. i think we can get a prospect in one of those rounds that could help us. i'm not seeing an elite guy that will be there when we pick even moving up some. hooker would have to drop also some for us to have a shot. :cool:

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They may have to look at drafting a TE, they can't count on Green to stay healthy. This is a decent draft for TEs, OJ Howard of Alabama is the best also Jordan Cornett of Clemson is good.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not convinced that Peppers wouldn't be better as a 4-3 WLB than he would be a SS. He'd be an "in the box" safety for sure. Plus, it would be interesting to see a starting LBer take the starting punt return role lol imagine #55 taking a punt to the house!

I don't know enough about this years class to know who will be around when we draft, but I do know that I'd really love to see us take a OLB, ILB, or a S. Maybe even a corner lol

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm looking at the next two drafts short term. While we all agree we need more pressure and can use a upgrade at OLB. Even though I feel Harrison has at least one year left ,once again he will need someone to share time with during the season. If we can draft someone ready made that has the talent to come in and threaten for a starting position right away then he'll yeah go for it. The JJ experiment cannot repeat itself. This D has been playing real well and imagine without Heyward . I can envision even more improvement next year with all the experience the young guys are getting. I still have high hopes for Golson if only his string of bad luck can finally come to a end. I agree a upgrade at safety could be used as well.
    It seems the draft is pretty deep at OLB and Safety so I'm thinking 2nd and 3 rd round respectively,unless a stud falls to us earlier.

Now for the part that is gonna raise some eyebrows. I agree we have some pretty good depth at WR but it seems like we are on thin ice at the position. There's all world AB then some nice complimentary guys who I do like. What is missing though is Batmans Robin you know the role that Bryant should be filling at this very moment.....but is not. I have serious concerns about him staying clean and that's a serious issue for our WR corps future. I also have a real bad feeling about Ladarius and his career.....personally I think he's done. Slight chance not for what's left of this year but career wise.

This brings me to my 1st rd. selection for this year.....OJ Howard. "No,no way too many other holes to fill to pick a TE in the 1st. We have JJ ,I like what I see in Grimble" I hear ya and I like them guys too but Howard to me is a different animal. More WR than TE he is immensely athletic and I've heard scouts comparing him to a more athletic Mike Evans. He is a matchup nightmare who was so underutilized at Ala. because their QBs can't throw. He would almost be like 2 insurance policies for Bryant and Green. I think the piece that is missing to take this O to the highest level is really Bryant but it's a lot to be counting on. If he makes a turnaround then fantastic but if not our WRs aren't really scaring anybody. Either way Howard finds a major role on the team. I know there's a very slim chance of this happening but I wouldn't be upset at all if it did.
    I also like his teammate Ardarius Stewart as a intriguing option if he's around in the 4-5 range (no idea whe e he's projected)and we don't get OJ. He is a former RB and now a very explosive,physical WR that that still runs like a RB when he gets the ball. Also underutilized talent wise. Can return kicks and seems like a willing and good blocker for the run game.....Love the draft the only problem is having to wait til 32:smiley1:

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he would drop to the teens, which I can't predict. We would have to make a serious attempt to try and get this ball hawk.
    He would be our Earl Thomas. You have to give some to get some. And we have
    the luxury of a roster to do this. Lets win while we have Ben, it may get ugly
    after that.