1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Draft, How should we handle it?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersfan35, Nov 6, 2016.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Should we have a mix of both offense and defense? I think we shouldn't be too heavy on offense since we got good weapons for Ben.

Possibly trade for draft picks or sign new players via free agency? I think it's a great time to make some smarter decisions in free agency due to the increased cap space. Who knows, there may be a gem that we shouldn't pass up.

Our backup QB situation needs to be looked at as well, since it's been a hot topic on here. Jones is iffy, but we need him to battle for the backup position with a veteran QB or with a rookie QB in the preseason. That battle will show how good he really is. Also, since he got drafted, the Steelers still kept him all these years. Either they must think that he's a good backup or he hasn't faced any challenging competition yet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Round 1.) EDGE Rusher

Round 2.) Running Back (DeAngelo
    Williams guys)

Round 3.) Safety

Round 4.) Offensive Tackle

Rounds 5-7 is a tossup to me.

3. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I think we should trade for more picks, and spend some of that excess cap money on a FA edge rusher.

Whatever happens, they should be obsessed with finding 2 QB's in the next 2 years, with the same passion they have been pursuing edge rushers for the past number of years.

The mindless obsession with Edge Rushing LB's has to stop!
    I hope we go to a 4-3 and just use 4 horses to get after the QB, and focus on DB's instead of LB's. Good LB's are a dime a dozen.
    In a 4-3, gaps open up for a LB to blitz thru. You don't need to come off the edge.
    Lloyds, Porters, Greens, and Merriweathers don't grow on trees. I'd rather see us go 4-3 and blitz a safety off the edge.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    gotta get a safety. have to. Mitchell costs us every game. let davis start with a top pick. the defense has got to be fixed. if we resign bell and a few guys on offense maybe that will buy us another year

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Yep, they should be looking at safety very early in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Edge rusher
    DE
    Safety
    RB

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In 2017 Colbert needs to make a bold move and trade up for a player like Derek Barnett, the Steelers are expected to get some comp picks and those picks can be traded.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    My guess is we go OLB in the first round. We have to find a way to get pressure consistently. In addition, I think Mitchell is going to need to be replaced relatively soon. Add in a replacement for Timmons, and I mean an impact player, and you have 3 positions on D that need help to play immediately.

In addition, we have needs for a backup RB to hedge the possible loss of Bell. We need a WR in order to that group in case Bryant doesn't work out, especially with Wheaton probably leaving as well. We need depth all across the defensive line. We always need Oline depth, but I bet we get some of that from an UFA signing.

If Bell stays and Bryant works out, then we need a WHOLE lot less work on the offensive side of the ball. Bryant is a player which makes us MUCH more dynamic especially when you add in Rogers and Coates and your 3rd and 4th options rather than 2nd and 3rd options.

The D needs additional playmakers, additional guys to impact the play.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need game changers on defense, be pro active and get these game changers.
    The window is closing quickly, time to make moves if we are going to get where we want to be.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You have it just about pegged Mac, This would be an excellent year to add
    the QB though. I am real tired of watching Mike Mitchell.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we can upgrade that position. mitchell has hit his ceiling as a safety and it's down hill from here i believe. he takes terrible angles too and doesn't give us quality in pass defense. shark too as well as dangerfield. we could use at least two more guys that can play the position and can play ST's too. i'm not quite as concerned about qb this draft because i don't think there is that type of quality there this year. it depends on who stays in school too at this point. maybe if the kids from central mich. and western mich. drop, they may be worth a look or the kid from UNC comes out then maybe, but i'm holding out for burrow from OSU in a year or two. i think he's going to be a good one. :cool:

13. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    and he never STFU!!!!!!!!!! Every damn play, running his mouth, blowing kisses to the crowd...just STFU AND PLAY!

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have a few first rounders I would take depending on who is available.

Obviously at OLB Myles Garrett and Derek Barnett are at the top of my list....Malik Hooker is my top Safety and Jabril Peppers is a solid football player....at ILB I like Raekwon McMillan and Zach Cunningham...my top corners Marlon Humphrey, Jalen Tabor, and Marshon Lattimore

That pretty much is my big board in order.

HACK 2017 MOCK

1 - OLB Derek Barnett - Tennessee
    2 - DE Tanoh Kpassagnon - Villanova
    3 - WR Ricky Seals-Jones - Texas A&M
    4 - OT Julie'n Davenport - Bucknell
    5 - OLB Darius English - South Carolina
    6 - OG Kareem Are - Florida State
    7 - S Kai Nacua - BYU

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hooker will likely return to Ohio State. As for Tango, look for him to rise in the draft due to the emergence of long based 5 tech defensive ends in odd man fronts.

Having Derek Barnett to us I see. I hope that does happen due in part that, for me, he is easily a top 15 talent; top 10 not out of the question either.

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why trade for more picks? We aren't in a rebuild like the Brows, but we're looking for the extra piece or two to put us over the top and give us our next Lombardi. We need quality over quantity IMO. Trading for more picks wouldn't help.

No to the QB's. 2? Ben stays for at least 3 more years, if not a year or two longer. Spending a high pick on a QB seems stupid. Especially since we're trying to win now. Let Ben play out his time here then we can worry about a QB.

The DE's in a 4-3 don't come off the edge? Hmm... we need edge rushers to help get to the QB. The teams with the best defenses are the teams best at getting after the QB. We're losing Harrison more than likely and JJ didn't get it done for us. We need an edge rusher. Idc if it's a 34 OLB or 43 DE... both those players are edge rushers and we need one bad.

We need a SS, OLB, CB, OT, and an ILB. Not necessarily in that order, but those are our most glaring needs (depending on which FA's we sign of course) a wr could be added if Marty decides to smoke weed again. We need to fill the loss of Timmons and Harrison, keep improving the secondary by adding young talent and eventually finding gay and Mitchell's replacements, and find a way to get another guy after the QB.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Gonna be really fun to watch Peppers in the NFL. Doubtful it will be for us unfortunately.

I still think we could use another great OT on our team. weak depth there. Safety is always high on my list. We got enough CB depth, just need to get healthy. I would take another edge rusher in the Top 3 rounds.

Everyone confident we will be keeping L Bell around long term?

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The OT issue for me comes down to the following 2 questions:

1. What does our 4th rounder from last year really look like?
    2. What do they see happening with Mihalik (sp?)?

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we are in good shape at tackle. AV, gilbert, hawkins, harris, mihalik, hubbard. hubbard, mihalik, hawkins and harris have played well. we have some really good young talent at that spot. another C/G may be needed though.:cool:

20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Where do you see Peppers playing in the NFL? As a S he's had one career int I believe. Does he go the Deone Buchannon/Su'a Cravens route and play 4-3 OLB? Or does he stay at S and return punts and kicks? Hell he could probably play WR in the league too. Great athlete, but idk if he's elite at any spot (other than returning kicks) gonna have to stick him somewhere and have him dedicate himself to that position.

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He is certainly in that Sua Cravens mold, although a much better athlete. I kind of see him as a WLB, but he is certainly a do everything player.

22. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree with those talking safety, running back, and even edge rusher (although I"m sick of drafting these types of people- maybe this latter position can be addressed in FA). However, if there is a good QB in round one - and I've looked into this draft 0% at this point- then this is the year to take one.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think it would be super cool to have a team let their starting WLB return punts and kicks for them haha what an athlete he is. Would he have to play S for us, or do you think he would be able to play ILB for us. We'd have some crazy athletes at the position if we took him as a ILB, although they'd be fairly small. Or we could go base nickel all day and use him as the permanent extra DB as a rover. Lining up as a LB, S or CB even on occasion. I doubt we will get to him but he'd be an interesting guy to have on our team

24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

IMO, RB too high. I think Hawkins (OG) and Ryan Harris (OT) will provide pretty good depth at tackle. I would go OLB in the first two rounds, TE in the third (Ladarius Green worries me) and RB in the 4th or 5th. Anything after that is gravy.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It is a good thing that post was long ago. :lolol:

Round one for me stays.

Round two is an ILB or safety pending on what they do with Timmons

Round three is an offensive guard due to the fact that Hawkins is a tackle.

Round four is corner depth

Round five is running back depth

Round six BPA

Round seven the same.

• Agree Agree x 1