1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2016: Succes In More Ways Than One

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 23, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    2016 truly was a remarkable season for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A season filled with ups and downs; trials and tribulations; dreams and reality. A season which tested both the rookies and veterans of a sport that is demanding beyond what most give credit for. Most importantly though throughout 2016, there were glimpses of what can be considered a rebirth for something this defense has not seen in quite some time.

For the first time in a long time, while not consistent, we finally have seen a defense that is no longer "Old, Slow and Done" to "Young, Fast and Fun" nearing its full circle. For the first time, we now have a better future in our secondary, headlined by a rookie cornerback who was essentially playing his "senior season" in the college ranks, another rookie who went from a struggling headache to an impact safety and a cornerback that has showed many of us he can be our guy to either shutdown or slowdown opposing teams top receivers. With another top flight member in our linebacking corps, we will have "Renegade" resurrected yet again.

Within the same token however, from a fans perspective point of view, I have been nothing more than fortunate to enjoy the opportunity to watch, discuss, debate and share the thoughts and feelings of which we all strive our team to be; Super Bowl Champions. Most importantly though, this season for me was a season of firsts.

To start out, coming here, I was hopeful to further educate myself and just simply discuss and converse within a community forum. Never would I have thought that I would end up a member of a sites staff. Furthermore, never would I have thought said staff position would be my future career either. It is something that, to this day, I have not and will not take for granted... and I have all of you to thank for it. As such, I think it is time to notice the people who have helped me become not just a better writer or a better community member, but a better person.

Thigpen82:

Me and you really did not know each other at all when I first started on this site on April 21 of 2016. However, to say that you did not play an important role to where I am now would be quite arrogant on my behalf. Had it not been for you, I do not think I would have the resolve to obtain permission to be a member of the sites staff in the writing team. Since then, I have had nothing but joy in research and info gathtering and continue to do so to this day in spite of some technical difficulties (Note 4 crashes continue). Even so, part of the reason I am here where I am today is because of your suggestion: a comment that you did not even have to make but elected to anyway. You saw something about me that prompted such. For that, I thank you.

TerribleTowelFlying:

Much like many site owners, getting a response from a question of a new member is not easy nor simple. Submitting a request to become a staff member of a site that reflects not just the community but the site owner itself in a newcomer doubly so. However, beneath it all, you took a swing at it. Whether my work has been a home run for the rest of the site, the site staff, my fellow writing team member WWW, or even you is something that you will have to decide in the end. I can say this though: I hope that the risk you took with me is paying off. I hope that a risk that included someone who wants to make a future out of journalism is paying dividends. Most importantly, I hope that said risk will assist in getting your site more awareness within the vast cyberspace called the Internet.

Now, if I am not meeting your standards of the site or falling just short, I have, and still am, working very hard on future equipment. As it stands, typing for multiple hours on end using nothing bit your thumbs on a 5.7 inch screen is quite strenuous and taxing... and this is not even accounting for multiple tab openings to further add evidence or support claims in articles on the front page. Should this be counted as an excuse? Absolutely not. This position was my choice. Any form of reprehensible consequence is what I will consider acceptable.

Even so, in the end, I do thank you for taking the gamble on a newbie like me when I started out here. Thank you for providing me the opportunity to further evolve my writing skills while being a positive contribution to the site. Most importantly, thank you for allowing me to integrate myself within a very diverse set of community members. I, like many on the site, can be a handful.. yet you seem to not mind it as much as other site owners. Furthermore, seldom do I see a site owner interact with their fellow members the way you do. Here is to a better 2017!!...

and a PC to get more usage out of as well.

RPO IZSB:

I think it is safe to say that.... when we first met.. our discussions were chippy and divisive. To be honest, this was not the first time dealing with someone who has a vast collective knowledge of a subject with exuberant confidence and gusto. To say this latest encounter did not help assist in my development and knowledge of my favorite team, on the other hand, would be nothing short of a bold faced lie. I did understand certain portions of the game I enjoy watching, but seldom do I see a member of any site with the vast degree of knowledge support those claims to the extent at which you do. While this does not sound all that important, to have the hard nosed evidence to support ones claim is something some of today's sports journalists and some of the media seem to lack. That being said, thank you for being an indirect reminder of what journalism should be and reaffirming my beliefs that integrity and evidence are key to making claims about points.

Blast Furance:

The first moderator I met on the site. Our discussions have been few and far. In those discussions however, I do come away with at least something to look forward to the next time. Much like TerribleTowelFlying's case, forum members and staff members do see each other... but seldom I have seen it to the extent at which both staff members and forum members work in such unity. Beyond all of it though, for each conversation we do have, no matter how seldom that is, I do thank you for allowing me to look forward to the next one.

LadySteel:

Fans like you are a major reason why I enjoy being a Steelers fan. Even at its bleaker, remaining true to the team you support epitomizes true support. As such, I thank you for assisting my growth of support for the team. If never was in doubt before meeting you but became stronger afterwards.

Trust me guys, there are plenty more of you I want to thank (SteelElvis, Turtle, dobbler-33, bigbenhotness, STEEL WARRIOR, etc, etc.) but currently my phone is glitching out yet again and my battery is literally dying even with the cable plugged in. As such, my thank yous have to be limited for thr time being. I do promise to update this thread when my new phone arrives later this week.

In the end though, 2016 was an awesome year for not just me for the Steelers. While it did not end the way all of us wanted it to, there is plenty to be excited about.

So hear is to a better 2017 to reach the "Stairway to Seven."

Go Steelers!

:herewego::herewego:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :drinks:

Has been good having you on the site this year, man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Good read, I do find your posts quite informative. Also the optimist in you is a fresh breath of air, unlike me, RS, Heinz and guru :(

It's the likes of blast, TTF, lady, you, thigpen, BFT, Elvis, turtle dobbler, warrior, franky, 86ward, Glenn and many others that really make this site an enjoyable experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Here, here it's been a great and exciting season indeed. We have a team that's on the rise to greatness and that's very promising going forward. We are so close to #7 and once we get there hopefully we can continue to be dominate for years to come. As fans of the greatest team in the NFL the Pittsburgh Steelers. We all at times agree to disagree, but share a great passion for our beloved Black and Gold. Even though we often don't see eye to eye on this message board we are family and as such we support each other good or bad that's important. It's always a pleasure to come to this message board to feed my inner thirst for knowledge and information on my beloved Steelers. Thank you Steeler Nation for all you do.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is our extended Steelers family, glad to have you part of it, AQL. Thanks for the shout out. :drinks:

Moderating this place is fairly easy, most everyone is pretty respectful of one another. There are spirited debates but nothing wrong with that.

Of course you and I dont have those too often

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not recall us having one ever. :smiley1:

7. Guest

Guest Guest

@AskQuestionsLater, I am honored to have met you here, our Steelers Nation home, and enjoy conversing with you very much. Thank you for including me in your article. I am humbled because of it.

You are the epitome of what I believe a Pittsburgh Steelers fan to be. I have learned quite a lot, and will continue to learn I am sure, through your writings. I am thrilled you have found a new vocation. I have no doubt you will be a great success. Just remember to always keep that Towel flying high and proud. :towel:

Good luck and best wishes, my dear Steelers brother.

8. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was not really expecting an AFCCG appearance coming into the season. Bryant and Bell suspension on top of a very shaky and young defense were big concerns. There's a lot of pressure on us now for 2017 though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good for you, man.
    Job well done, Congrats.

:steelflag:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This thought is basically my therapy right now.

A good draft, a clean off-season (pleeeeease), and we take the league by storm next season.

• Like Like x 1