1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Draft thoughts

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Axl, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Well, since this year's draft was a bit of a swing and miss for Colbert aside from Bud, what do you think the strategy should be for next year?

I'm thinkin'..

1) CBs, and lots of 'em
    2) A true successor for Troy

Either of these priorities should be interchangeable depending on the depth at each position.

3) A true successor for Heath
    4) Another OLB might be worthwhile in case Harrison's 2nd-year option doesn't get picked up.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Seems quite similar to what people were asking for this time around...

I'd give it a bit more time for this season to unfold before we see what the draft requires.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Or before deciding if this draft was a hit or miss.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye. In that mad practice squad assemblage, we went from keeping all but one draft pick (huzzah!) to keeping a few (boo!).

This time last year Carnell Lake was being heralded as a genius. Cam Heyward was still being described as a bust by some. Wheaton should be cut, others said. Etc. etc.

The thing is, the draft needs will remain much the same because there aren't many players who can walk straight into the starting job and impress. Maybe next draft we'll be saying we don't need a safety because we have a dual threat of Mitchell and Thomas, who have both become pro bowlers? Who knows.

5. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2015
    With only Bud contributing for the foreseeable future, I think it's safe to say we could've done better than we did and that at bare minimum CBs will be needed in the draft.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    CB's will always be needed with the direction the league is going in but I get your meaning. Unfortunately Golson was injured but at least Grant ended up on the PS, still hope there, maybe a mid to late season call up, I was pretty high on that pick, still scratching my head on what happened with him.

1 game into the season though is way to soon to determine if they could have done better in this draft. I never expect much from a draft class in year one.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Once again CB/S 1-n- 2 , I think Sanchez (CB) from OU might fall in either those two rnds

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Like Yancey said, it's a little too early to determine what our immediate needs will be, but our DB's have been neglected for a while in the draft, so if I was a betting man I'd put my money there. FS, CB, SS would likely be high on the wish list. Golson was just the tip of the iceberg in draft investment in the defensive backfield.

I also wouldn't rule out a disruptive DT or a premier LT/LG if a top guy ends up falling to us.

9. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    USC vs Stanford Saturday night on ABC. Good chance to see a top rated safety prospect play, Su'a Cravens, OLB/S from USC.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right we say that every year about CBs and they continue to ignore the position. They will need a LT Beachum is probably gone, I thought Shamarko was the successor to Troy :rolleyes:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    They drafted two last year. :ACK!:

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree Cravens is a stud plays the run and the pass, could be the next Polamalu for the Steelers.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but not the right two Golson is on IR, and Grant is on the PS so they don't get any help this season. It would be nice to get a plug and play CB for a change.

14. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I need to start looking at 1st round LG prospects, 2nd round Safety prospects, mid round ILB and OLB, and pray they spend some money on a plug and play free agent CB.

Foster needs upgraded badly. Neither safety position is NFL caliber. Beachum is likely gone as they won't be franchise or transition tagging him, but I'm hopeful AV becomes the LT. Jarvis is not an impact player and Harrison has to age eventually. Shazier just can't stay healthy (meanwhile it looks like Mosely will be a pro bowler again :facepalm:) and Timmons is aging. I believe Golson can be a player, so we should have the slot corner position covered. Not many successful teams use a 2nd round pick on a slot corner but there it is.

Unbelievably, we have even more holes on the roster than we did last year.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Not much in here that I really agree with... Sorry Ender haha

I think LG can wait until later in the draft (we should definitely draft one at some point tho). Foster is an average starter at a back up price. That type of value is great. SS is an absolute must for us in round 1 or 2. Joseph (WVU) or Cravens (USC) are a couple of guys who could fit that bill. We will double dip at safety IMO. We can go without drafting an ILB at all, and will probably go with one mid round or late round flier at OLB (assuming Harrison is gone at the end of the year). LT is possible early if they let Beachum walk. TE is in play too if they fall in love with someone.

Rounds 1-3 will be on SS, CB, TE, or LT (outside shot at LG rd3)

4-5 will likely be LG,OLB, or a 2nd safety

6-7 should go WR (why not lol), maybe another CB or OLB

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    whats the chances we get any comp picks this year??

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    We should get a 6th or 7th for losing McCain.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I am going to watch the safety out of FSU - Jalen Ramsey. Tall at 6'1" and they say he could play CB so he's got some coverage skills.

Also a safety out of Duke - Jeremy Cash who might be a 2-3 rounder. Another tall prospect at 6'2".

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Darien Thompson safety Boise st

Hargreaves cb florida

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll have to see if I can catch a Boise game.

Hargreaves should be drafted early in the 1st, don't know if we'll have that opportunity. Hope not, but he would be a good pick.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Jarrett from Pitt declares he better stay in Pittsburgh. 6-3 335 lb NT. I'm not sold on McCullers yet.

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I was under the impression that he was a top 10 caliber guy. And likely a FS. I was looking more at SS. Ramsey is a really good player tho. Wouldn't mind having him

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Von Bell from Ohio State and there's a kid from Ole Miss too (Conner I think) who are highly rated prospects

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    No prob, SG, the discussion/disagreement is why I come here. I like Joseph from WVU, watch them almost every week. I thought he'd grade out as a second rounder. Unfortunately, he hurt himself this week (in a non-contact drill at practice) and he's out for the rest of the season. The other DB prospects you mentioned sound intriguing though.

25. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    That would make some people around here very happy, to get some tall DB's.

I think safety is a dire need, basically because we only have one (Mitchell) that should be starting. And even he could be upgraded.

I think if we got Tanner McEvoy out of Wisconsin at FS some heads would explode around here. A 6'6" DB? :eek: