1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Draft Recap - My Report Card

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RPO IZSB, May 1, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because if he can get bigger and stronger, they can use his speed off the edge.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It doesn't make sense though to try to do this with a player. Player X fits into a role at position A, but instead of playing him at position A let's make him change his size and strength, and play him at position B. So when he fails at position B everyone is upset he didn't pan out, when he could have excelled as a late round draft pick playing position A. Why not just build his size and strength and play him where he fits in the defense.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Feeney will have to get stonger, just as Shazier and JJ have. They were not NFL ready, Shazier had /has boatloads of talent
    and that has helped him transition faster. This added muscle will help Feeney shed blockers, I hope his shoulder will hold up? Quick question
    If you think you are capable of being drafted at a certain position in this case LB wouldn't you have an adviser or coach say, here is what it takes
    to get NFL ready? I am thinking 2 years before you get drafted, you start to really hit the weight room and build yourself to NFL standards.
    These light weight lbs scare me because they will be going against proven talent week in week out and their body's will just not hold up to the NFL rigors. Buy hey we have struck gold in ab in the sixth, maybe here is another gem?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Feeney isn't changing positions, he just needs to build his strength to play OLB in the NFL.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    My point is....he should be. He is built to be a backup to Shazier.

Shazier 6'2" 229

Feeney 6'4" 225

In our D he fits perfectly at that position, NOT trying to replace James Harrison 6'0" 275.

It would take him 5-10 years to put on enough weight to be James Harrison. Dupree is 267. Jones is 248. Moats is 246. That is still 20 pounds. It would take him 2 years to put on that much lean muscle. If you place him with that group he is a featherweight.

I will say it again....if we try to keep him at OLB this is a wasted draft pick who won't make the team to ever play OLB. He might be a special team ace, but he will never play meaningful snaps at OLB.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Shazier is not 229, he has bulked up to about 240. Jarvis put on almost 15 pounds before last season, so can Feeney if he gains 15 pounds he should be able to play OLB.

8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Here is a dissenting view of Sean Davis. The different perspectives of different observers cause them to see a draftee in a different light, not unlike certain crystals reflect a different color from a different viewing angle by a different observer. It is fascinating how the same player can generate such wildly different opinions. It makes it more interesting to follow a player to see just how he actually works out.
    The best 2016 rookie for every NFL team
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...g-best-rookie-all-32-nfl-teams-2016-draft#AFC N
    Pittsburgh Steelers: Second-round pick Sean Davis projects as a strong safety, where competition is wide open. Davis can take that job in training camp if he's ready. The Steelers feel the No. 58 overall pick can be their long-term answer at the position alongside veteran free safety Mike Mitchell. Davis is 6-foot-1, 203 pounds with elite athleticism and registered 300-plus tackles at Maryland as a combo corner/safety. .... Davis has the inside track to get early playing time. -- Jeremy Fowler

Oh my! More dissention!
    Steelers rookie safety Davis has shot at earning starting spot this season By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...tarting-spot-this-season/stories/201605090044
    “I think he and Mike Mitchell will work well together in the secondary,” Lake said of Davis.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

No concern about his 4 shoulder surgeries, or the hernia surgery he had on his pro day, he tore his labrum twice, teams let him fall in the draft for those reasons, if he is going to have shoulder problems here at least we only have a 6 pick invested, I am concerned about his shoulders not being able to cut it at the pro level.......

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats the key sentence. Love his athletic ability, just don't think he will be able to absorb enough that quickly to be ready.

We'll find out.

11. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    What do you think of your grades now? Any corrections you would make?

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    4 out of the 7 drafted played key roles in one of the biggest wins we've had in awhile. Not too bad.

• Agree Agree x 1