1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Draft Recap - My Report Card

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RPO IZSB, May 1, 2016.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Steelers Draft:

1st - Artie Burns B-
    My Board: 43rd Overall, 5th overall CB
    My Target: Yes, 2nd Round
    Taken: 25th overall, 5th overall CB

Another year, another high end athlete/project taken in the first round. I like Artie Burns, as you can see among the 4 positions I was targeting in this draft, he was my CB target for the 2nd round. There was a lot of 2nd round corner talent in this draft (before it fell off a cliff towards the in the 3rd round). I have 3 clear 1st round grades on Ramsey, Hargreaves, and WJIII. I think having WJIII taken right in front of us by our rivals impacts how I feel about the pick. I had Eli Apple as a late 1st, and Artie Burns as a mid 2nd. After that I had Mackenzie Alexander and Will Fuller as late 2nds. We desperately needed DB talent, so I can live with the reach. The thing I like most about this pick is it continues the trend to the Tomlin/Butler defense, and away from the Lebeau defense. You do not draft Artie Burns in the 1st round unless you intend to play significant man/press, bump n run in the near future. We've been moving away from Lebeau for the last 2 years in all sorts of ways: More 4 tech rushing from our ends (vs 5 tech 2 gap), More cover 2 and off man, more nickel with 3 and 1 techs inside, etc). We've been drowning the Lebeau philosophy slowly, but this pick fills like finally slitting it's throat.

2nd - Sean Davis D+
    My Board: 102nd Overall, 7th Safety (5th SS)
    My Target: Yes (3rd round)
    Taken: 58th Overall, 4th Safety (2nd SS)

I kind of hate this pick. At least with Artie there wasn't a better CB on the board. He was the best CB on the board, He was on my target list. So IMO we reached for need, and took high athletic talent. Fine. But with Davis, we reached for need, and took high athletic talent... but over more polished, higher rated Safeties (including my target in the 2nd round Darian Thompson, as well as a ready to start perfect fit in Vonn Bell, taken just a few picks later). Sean Davis has a high ceiling than Bell. But Bell could come in a start next year, at a spot where we are currently lacking a starter. If Davis can pick up the playbook quickly, and grow even faster, there is a starting SS job available that will fit his strengths. I hope his weaknesses can be mitigated.

3rd - Javon Hargrave A+
    My Board: 85th Overall, 11th overall DT
    My Target: Yes, 4th Round
    Taken: 89th overall, 12th overall DT

My favorite pick of the draft, and also ties back in to my "Slit it's throat" narrative. FINALLY!!! A classic 3tech/1gap/undertackle!!! Sure Hargrave will compete with McCuller for our 0/1 Tech NT snaps in our far less used 3/4 run base defense... but when it comes to our nickel package, our interior will now feature a classic 1 gapper, and I'm thrilled. The amount of variation we will be able use in our fronts featuring Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, and McCullers.... brings me pure draft weekend joy. Also... this protects us from Tuitt's free agency (which we won't be able to afford in 2 years).

4th - Jerald Hawkins A+
    My Board: 71st Overall, 6th overall OT
    My Target: No, but I never thought a 2nd/3rd round OT would fall to the 4th and my focus was on Defense.
    Taken: 123rd overall, 9th overall OT

STEAL. I honestly think if Hawkins stayed in school, he would've had a chance to put himself in the conversation of 1st rounders in 2017. His combine numbers hurt his stock IMO, because he is an athletic LT, he's a slide and space blocker, but his mobility measures didn't match his tape/label. I'm not worried at all, Munchak plus OL Athletics = Positive Results. This pick pretty much knocks Mike Adams off the roster. IMO, we won't be able to sneak Hawkins to the practice squad, so as long as he looks on track in camp/preseason, he's got a spot.

5th - NO PICK

6th - Travis Feeney EDGE/OLB B
    My Board: 139th Overall
    My Target: No
    Taken: 220TH overall

Is this another pick tailored for a future 4-3 defense? I don't see how Feeney can play the edge/olb role in our 34 rush packages, or even put his hand down in our nickel, especially given his shoulder history. His strength is lacking, and he doesn't have a base to set an edge with. He needs to play off the line, in space, sideline to sideline. I do like him as a talent... A LOT. But I viewed him strictly as a WILL in a 4-3. I could see him being an impact player on special teams as well. Tested at the top of the LB class at the combine. He's got explosion and speed. Will be interested in seeing how he develops combined with how our defense continues to evolve. If the truly intend to play him as an edge player, the competition will be interesting (Chickillo, Zumwalt, Feeney probably all competing for the same spot).

7th - Demarcus Ayers WR C+
    My Board: NR
    My Target: No
    Taken: 229th overall

This only works for me because we've lacked anyone capable in the return game outside of AB for too long, and frankly, we need to start lessening ABs load there. Don't know much about the kid. Didn't scout him. The Steelers view him as the best Punt Returner in the draft... cool. Looks like a junior who should've gone back to school. For a smallish slot/return guy (5'9") running a 4.72 is pretty sad. And chose not to do 3 cone work.... I'll have to look further in to this, but for a 7th rounder, it's fine.

7th - Tyler Matakevich ILB A+
    My Board: 131st, 9th ILB
    My Target: Yes, 6th
    Taken: 229th overall

YES. Awesome. He reminds me of Chris Borland when he came out of Wisconsin. Now, we never really got to see if Borland's lack of athletics and size concerns could be overcome. But he still went in the 3rd round. Matakevich is a Borland clone without the alligator arms. Bottom line, Matakevich is the kind of guy you route for. A film junkie with no natural talent, just his head, his heart, and his lunch pale. His path to a roster spot looks easier than Feeney's, with only Timmons, Shazier and Vince having spots locked down ahead of him. But even with that he's a longshot. I will be rooting so hard for this guy.

Borland v Matakevich
    4.83 v 4.81
    27 reps v 22 reps
    31 vert v 31 vert
    114 v 112 broad
    7.18 v 7.19 3 cone
    4.27 v 4.50 shuttle

Overall. We drafted for need with the 2 most important picks, and those picks are very much project type prospects. Very high ceilings, but a 2nd year of investing a 1st in an athletic talent, with questionable tape and a lot of work to be done leaves my uneasy. While I fully agree with drafting for need, I think it's simply the WJIII aspect of the Artie Burns pick that leaves me feeling burned.

I think round 3-7 were about as perfect as they can get. Hargraves is a homerun pick IMO, and a pick that fits the shift away from Lebeau in the most direct way yet. Hawkins is a steal, and gives us incredible depth at the OT position going forward. With Munchak working with him, he might be our starting/franchise LT in 2 years. Feeney and Matakevich are a great mix of Athletics (Feeney) and IQ (Matakevich), they should compete for 53 man spots via special teams, and have long term outlooks as WILL linebackers in our evolving defense.

Sean Davis... without the context of the draft, round, etc... I would've been happy. With who we took him over and at the stage of the draft that we took him.... It's the most disappointing early pick since Dri Archer. But similarly, when we took Bryant a round later, I just pretended that we took Bryant in the 3rd and Archer in the 4th and I felt better. I think I am going to do the same here... if we took Hargrave in the 2nd, and Davis in the 3rd.... I'd be fine. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I get the Sean Davis concern, I wasn't hearing much about him, but I think I'm going to defer to Colbert on that one. If the guys making the pick and know our team the best didn't like Von Bell or Darrian Thompson more ... then there is probably a reason for it. Sean Davis seems like more of a fit at Strong safety for the Steelers than the other 2. Von Bell seemed limited athletically to me? Low Upside.

I'm curious if they see the LSU OT more as a guard? Future Ramon Foster replacement perhaps?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they liked Davis over Bell because he's bigger and faster to matchup with TEs.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sean Davis I thought was one of the more underrated safeties in the draft. Really, the only reason Maryland put him at corner was due to the horrendous amount of injuries to their cornerbacking corps.

As a safety, he is essentially a watered down but more stronger Byron Jones from a year ago. For me, him, Hargreave and Travis Feeney (a year in the weight room will do wonders for him) are the "knock outs" of this draft.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Feeney can put on 15lbs he might be a decent prospect at OLB.

6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    That's essentially how I view front office action. "They know better than me". But that doesn't mean I don't react also react to their actions under my own pretenses. I hated the Jarvis Jones pick... I get to pat myself on the back 3 years later. I hated Le'veon Bell pick, and I look like a fool 2 years later.

I see Hawkins solely as LT / Swing OT Prospect right now.

7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    He doesn't seem to have the frame for a lot more weight, and his lower body is... twiggy. I'd have more confidence in him having a career as a roaming WILL, than as an Edge rusher.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. i think feeney will end up inside. could become the fastest inside tandum in the league at some point or the backup to shazier. timmons hasn't been extended. williams is in the last year of his rookie deal. matekevich will become the new backup. maybe/ probably more. fort will be solid for us too.

mccord i'm really wanting to see what they do with him. he could use some weight added. maybe PS material for a year. i expect chickillo to make a move towards playing time this year. we will see. :cool:

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they will extend Williams, hope so, he's a good lunch pail type player and thumper, need guys like that, and hes smart. Won't have to break the bank to keep him.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    depends on how many slots are open at that position. matekevich, fort, williams and possible feeney along with shazier. i like vince too, but he may want to play more and want to go elsewhere. it's a good problem to have with this many good ones. :cool:

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Am I wrong or was one of the knocks on Vonn bell can't cover well? Like apple he use hands way to much. I get that burns does it too, but his upside is alot higher than apples I think.

I wasn't sold on bell. I mean after the season he was projected as a third or fourth rounder as well?

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I agree. We took the higher ceiling guys. But they are also more project oriented.

What does everyone think our DB depth chart looks like right now? I know it's meaningless, but just curious:

SS: Golden, Davis, Shamarko
    FS: Mitchell, (Grant?)
    CB1: Gay, Grant
    CB2: Cockrell, Burns
    NB: Golson
    Roster fodder until we learn more: Hagen FS, Shabazz CB, Frey CB, Garner CB, Vinopal SS

Seems pretty clear we are going to add some veteran low cost FAs at some point before training camp. Especially if Grant moves to safety permanently.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think if grant stays at corner we are good there. I would like to see him make it at either position cause i think he can help. I truly believe it's gonna be hard to keep golson off the field.

I think before year end. U will see burns and golson getting most of the snaps at corner and I have said I think davis starts week one

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That's probably about where it stands right now. I would say that Golden could be the backup FS. Should Mitchell go down early, we may see Golden swap, and Davis get the call at SS.

15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I seriously doubt that.

16. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You guys who think Davis will start week 1 are out your minds

Seriously... The guy played primarily CB for the last year, and you think he's going to come in and start at safety in an NFL defense???

Think first

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Where's Shamarko in all of this?

I personally think Davis and Mitchell have many of the same traits. I think they are kind of interchangeable as safeties.

I have a hard time seeing Robert Golden as the starter at the start of the season AND end of the season.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Where else would we go? Thomas? Grant?

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Golden or Thomas

20. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I thought he meant that be doubts Mitchell will be off the field without an injury. Which I would agree with.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, my point was that if there's no Mitchell due to injury, someone else has to step in. The choices are Davis, Thomas or who? We can say Grant, but I haven't seen anything that confirms a move to safety. The chance of Davis seeing a lot of playing time - ready or not - increases dramatically if Mitchell or Golden get hurt. Mitchell and Golden are our only safeties with quality experience. Thomas has played snaps, but the quality of his snaps is in significant doubt.

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I know there's been some speculation, but I haven't seen anything yet to make me think that Grant won't remain a corner. :shrug:

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not really sure how anyone can gauge how high a draftee's ceiling is based on watching college games. It's all dependent on how hard of a worker they are in and out of training camp, IMHO. Some late round guys push hard and become a huge success and some early round guys expect to be given a starting job and drop out of the league after a few years. Looking good in college games does not equate to the same in the NFL. I hope that our picks all have high ceilings, but it's doubtful that we are looking at a 1974 draft class here.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think with the range of our inside backers, it lessens the range our safeties have to cover, which plays to younger players having less to learn as quickly. add some up front pressure with hargraves in the mix and it also helps minimize what range our safeties have to cover. if it all works together we could see these babes on the field sooner with less to think about while getting experience. speed can make up for a lot of mistakes. we have added a ton of that. grant, davis, mitchell, thomas, burns, cockrell, golson, shazier and even feeney have added a ton of speed behind our front. i hope we take advantage of it. :cool:

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly don't understand why they would play him at OLB honestly. To me he is a perfect backup for Shazier. Fast, plays in space, about the same size only taller. Putting him at OLB will be a disaster IMO.