1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 NFL Draft Discussion Thread [No Steelers Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 30, 2015.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

Like I said, Coates was under the worst coaching staff for Wide Receivers. But he reminds me a little of Dez Bryant Physically wise. Only Coates is much more athletic then Dez was. Usually WR like Coates, with his strength are very stiff and not sudden. But Coates is very flexible. His 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone times were great. And that is a true factor in evaluating if a WR can be a good route runner.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    And Cooper to the Browns. Kinda stings but has a nice acid finish.

5. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015
    Here is Gil Brandt's opinion....

[h=2]Weaknesses[/h] Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.

Oh this is not Coates, this was his opinion on Antonio Brown in 2010. And almost to a man scouts said Antonio had bad hands, and is not a Natural pass catcher. Just thought you'd like to know that.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Are you talking to me, or...?

7. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    You realize that AB had more receptions in each season at Central Michigan than Coates had in his entire career, right?

btw, that evaluation explains the state of the Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson got there.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Lol, I know that feeling well.

9. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015
    Look, NO ONE is a sure thing ever. I get that. But I just think we need to allow Coates a chance to show that maybe some of his shortcomings were all his fault. Besides, I have seen enough " Plaxico Burress " and " Santonio Holmes " on our team. I think " CHARACTER COUNTS " Please read a little about Sammie in the below link.

I wish the kid nothing but the best. And hopes he continues a rich tradition in Pittsburgh.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

10. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We all want him to succeed. But please, explain to me how you formulated the opinion that Coats is a better NFL run blocker than Hines ward.

11. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

Well until he does it in the NFL...He's not. What I meant was that everytime I saw him play, he was blowing up LB's all over the field. And he definitely has the better tools then Hines did...much bigger and stronger. In fact Coates is the strongest WR in the draft. He just believes in himself after a HARD life growing up. I will take that kind of WR any day over a Plaxico Burress.

12. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I enjoy a nice person as the next guy but let's not forget it's the nfl. This isn't a ethics/morality/humanity/ etc league. The league is based on talent. At this level talent disparity is very thin and work ethic is key but you can not dismiss talent.

IE: DWB. Nice guy it seems. Appreciates all he has. But........ Lets not kid ourselves.

13. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh yeah and one of those guys won us a super bowl. You want to give that back?

14. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

Kid ourselves. The man has ALL the physical talent you could ask for. Remember last year, another Sammie ( Watkins )...also led his team in drops..by a wide margin over Bryant. But he went high, and has done well. And he played on a team that DID have agreat QB and was a passing offense. Until you actually watch this kids Senior Bowl drills...you have zero opinion. Not games tapes at Auburn where he played with players who could not outplay ME.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    What other WR prospects should we put asterisks by for poor QB play?

16. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012

Am I the only one that read your post as a call out for the good guy? I was not debating talent. Yet, apparently, if he had more he would have been traded up to draft ( Watkins in case you aren't getting me)
    However, I am talking about the "trouble players" that you mentioned. You are apparently tired of them and Coates should be given a chance because of his good story. Your defense of the pick seemed to be based on character. Removed from this argument was talent. Both plax and santonio were not 3rd round pick ( or so I seem to remember)(watkins). Character?
    What is the difference between santonios character and leveon's. You over him too?

17. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

No, I said Character COUNTS. But it's not solely the only thing that counts. I guess you missed the part that talks about all the hard work he put in to Improve himself, and get a offer from Auburn. I like him because he's Physically a great prospect yes. But I also like him cause when given a chance to shine with the BEST players in college football....he showed what he can do. He showed what hard work can do. His Character is similar to that of Hines Ward. Another player experts said we way overreached for at the end of round 3. They called out his LACK of experience as a WR...his rather slow running times. The fact that he wasn't super expolsive, ect, ect. But what they overlooked was his HEART...his work ethic and his determination to PROVE that numbers on a measureables list is NOT the end all be all of a football player.....Character also goes a long way in that evaluation son.

18. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    For the 3rd time, where is a debate about talent. Im not having that debate. AB apparently didn't have enough talent but his work ethic is second to none. I get this BS heart argument but Rudy didn't make the nfl. I do give credit to character but you brought in two very productive players for the steelers and questioned "character." I'm wondering if these "flaws" of thier character make you happy they are gone. I'm sure yoI were happy about Barry foster and santonio Holmes and legsrret Blount.

Maybe we are missing each others point. Maybe you mean you are happy to have a high character guy over a troubled guy. I only say that charcter is only ok on the tv station USA where they're welcome. Talent, from our most revered players in the nfl, makes them different.
    Yeah sharper AP HHernadez. You can not debate talent. I would not want to be associated with them but at least know that a chant from the sidelines doesn't make them good.
    https://youtu.be/ZI63g64kDgY
    The point, I have no problem with the pick and character is a for a player. I am only saying I don't want a team full of character guys.

I wwasn't hired for my disposition.

19. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    NFL. ,COM gave us a overall grad of a c threw the fist 3 rounds, ,Balt Beng, ,and Browns all got a higher grade then we did .. lol

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I believe it. This is even worse than last year's first three rounds. At least last year, Tuitt was one of my guys. This is as disappointed as I've ever been after three rounds.

22. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015
    I'm not going to argue that Golson was taken a round too high...and I will stand by that. But to call into question the Value of a Dupree and Coates is just plain ridiculous and being Uninformed. Dopress was a top-13 talent. And Coates was considered a borderline end of the 2nd and a early 3rd rounder...and we got him late in the 3rd. Now you can say Coates wasn't a need pick...but I disagree. This team needed another Red Zone threat. And that's where a guy like Coates can shine. As long as we maybe get a FS tomorrow, a Back-up TE and another CB and a OL and maybe a RB to help out while Bell is out...I am fine with this draft.

23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Dude, we get it. You really like Coates.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would give Coates a low grade on sympathy and compassion. He floored the ref and didn't even stop to see if he was okay, LOL!!!

I agree with this. I think when you gave a crappy quarterback throwing you the ball many of those "drops" may not really be drops. They could come from mis-timed throws and throws slightly of target that become contested when they really shouldn't have been. I'm willing to see how he does with a top quarterback like Ben throwing him the ball.

And many of our "A" drafts over the last few years have thus far been "C" drafts. I'm willing to wait a couple of years before passing judgment.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so last night I was on the ledge with our 2nd pick and was in a full pout over it. I had all night to think about it and fine the kid is short he is a play maker and yeah we need that. I will be rooting for this kid to be good I just didn't like the pick. When you look at the top paid guys they are all 5-11 or better. The shortest is Flowers at 5-9, I hope the front office knows something good here cause history don't support this pick.

Now onto Coates, I like the pick and I guess I can see how people feel he is a Sweed kinda player. Was it to early for a WR with our needs maybe but if you look we drafted an OLB and CB both needs so why not add another weapon? I like Coates yeah he has some drops but **** man who don't? In this NFL you have to have WR weapons and you have to keep loading on up on them that is how you stay on top.

I know the grades on Coates were all over the place, some liked him as 1st round talent and some liked him as a last day pick. Me I like Lippett and Harper a little later on but I also like this pick.

Go Steelers!!!!!