1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 53 Man Roster & Cuts Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Sep 4, 2015.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah as backup center he was horrible.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

And Chick will be the first to go if they sign a FA after all of the 700 cuts being made today, being at the bottom of the roster is a precarious place to be for at least the next week anyway....

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Wow! We are very thin at RB and OL. I'm guessing there will be a few waiver wire signings coming shortly.

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Holliman? did not see that coming

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I'm surprised, you're surprised. :) I think that kid is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Ithought they might at least give him a year to dev,, I think he is only 20 years old, thats young to be in the nfl

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I liked Ross Cockrell coming out too, he showed some nice hands in the all-star game. I saw he was released the other day and went to look at the Buffalo Bills sites. He didn't seem to be doing very well from the brief write-ups I could find. Although I couldn't find much. Hope he does well here, he's 6' 190.

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    what happened to grant? did I miss an injury or something

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The FO moves definitely seem to have a different flavour to them this season, but I guess a lot of these are predictable. I don't see the benefit of keeping any of our safeties, so I guess the younger guys go first.

Didn't see much of Hemer or Finney, but I didn't follow them closely like some do here.

Would have been surprised by the Wing trade before seeing the next guy up, but no probs with it.

Still worried about depth. We better be picking up some good back ups off waivers...

10. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Love that they kept Nix and Will Johnson. I think Roethlisberger has a great rapport with WJ and is a guy who could play FB/RB/TE. I would like to see Nix as starting FB with WJ playing a hybrid type role. Be a handcuff for Deangelo for a few carries, and also catch about 3 balls a game.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Who the heck is Cockrell? Why not just keep Fogg?

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kid from Duke in last years draft. Got taken by Buffalo, and managed a spot on the roster as a rookie. Apparently the Steelers really liked him before the draft.

I think Fogg goes to the PS, so we are keeping him. We basically chose this kid over Webb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not so sure he's the bottom and first to go. If they sign a FA DL Walton or Thomas may be cut. A RB, Nix, a OL, Hubbard......

Cajun

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A bit surprised about Legursky but he did miss almost all of last year with a torn ACL and games the year before with knee problems as well. I guess the wheels can't get him from A to B quickly enough anymore

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Someone said it is a roster move so they can get to 53 and then once they IR Pouncey for the early return IR then Legs will be resigned to the 53

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Another year, same story, athletes over football players,.......

Walton over Hemer: Hemer outplayed Walton but his upside is greater...

Any WR over DHB, yet he's an athlete.....

Chisholm over Archer yet he has special skillset....

In the end its about football, some guys don't have great measurables but they perform on the field.........

Cajun

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Cajun what did you see in Chisholm? Not saying he isn't a better option than Archer but as a RB what I saw from him wasn't good maybe I didn't see the right plays but he looked slow to the hole, his vision seemed poor. Not sure if I have the right player but I think in the Jacksonville game it was a goaline play he got stuffed on because he tried to plow in between the guard and tackle and got stopped where if he would have followed the fullback and broke it to the outside he walks in for the TD. He just didn't seem like he was getting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Honestly, not much!!! I just don't like Archer and was venting a bit....

Cajun

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Archer is a gadget player that will never be more than that unless they use him a lot but he can't be used as a primary back since he just can't take a blitzer down. I think if they have a base formation with Bell/Williams in and Archer as a sidecar like in the pistol he can get lost in the crowd and sneak out to an open area. He also would look good in a 3 TE formation where Miller, Spaeth and Will J or James are in bunch and he takes a pitch or a screen. However every time they put him out there lately it looks like they are telegraphing the play.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Me either. I was 100% wrong on that one.

21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    2 Runningbacks on the roster???

1 and a half, as most here grade Archer(and I am starting to agree.. Love the kid, from Kent State... but, he needs to show me more...hoped he would this preseason..)

I see him more as a "reciever" outta the backfield, labeled as a "RB", Anyhow...

I know we are all about Ben and our recievers playing "air it out ball"...

Or using the short passes to make up for the running game,

But didn`t we learn from the past...

We have ZERO depth behind Williams, the first two games, and only Williams, if Bell gets hurt, after that... ?:hmm:

Are they counting on the "fullback(s)",/ tightends, to replace the rb`s if they get hurt?!?

Seems like a VERY lite roster at the "runningback" position...

Am I missing something?

We have carried three true runningbacks, for awhile now.

Did they just decide Ben and the Recievers are gonna carry the O, with no threat of a runningame, this year?

If your gonna run the ball, at least enough to set up playaction passing, you gotta figure your 1st rb could be hurt...

We got Bell, Williams, and Archer, after Bell comes back?

And like 8 d-linemen?

Seems kinda risky, to me...:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Like that they kept Murphy! Running back is looking pretty scary to me. Cut archer and pick up Jonas gray.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, I really liked what I saw from Nix, but wouldn't want to lose Will J. I think this is the boldest move in the 53... I hope it translates into something good on the field, and not forgetting WJ is there 90% of the time... Obviously when we're back to full strength with Bell and Bryant it might be a different story, but until then, good luck to both of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers claimed DL Caushaud Lyons off of waivers. Someone will have to be moved to make room.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh, RB Jordan Todman has been signed. Chickillo has been waived.