1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 NFL Combine Open Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 20, 2014.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm waiting to see how fast they run
    ewans
    amaro
    sefarian jenkins
    ebron

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A little surprising to see Cyrus Kouandjio listed at 6'7. Taller than I expected. At 6'7 322 35-5/8" arms and 10-1/4" hands, its hard to drop up someone more physically imposing than him. I was really high on him believing him to actually have the 2nd highest ceiling. His bowl game left much to be desired though.

I can't help but think if he tests really well (which I expect), I don't think I can just let 1 game tear down alot of great tape that he does have. Plus we have one of the best coaching the position now. Could he turn Kouandjio into an All-Pro? An OT @ #15 is still only my 5th highest priority, but maybe as the process moves along, Kouandjio may look even more attractive.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Mike Evans- 6'4 3/4 231

Kelvin Benjamin- 6'5 240

Marqise Lee 5'11 3/4 192

4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Sammy Watkins 6'0 3/4 211. An inch shorter than his listed height.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow Benjamin is bigger than some of the TE's...

I'm interested to see what he runs.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Are there any successful WRs in the NFL at 240 lbs? I'd prefer 230.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have been thinking the same thing steel. he still does a lot of things very well already. wouldn't we be foolish to not take advantage of munch's coaching ability while we have him? to me this would be very hard to pass up. knowing we can keep ben upright and bell running well, without the use of the no huddle all the time, has to be considered. you just aren't going to get a guy later for him to mold that has what these top guys have. wishing and hoping he can make something out of gilbert or adams is a tall task compared to a guy that has the tools already in place to add to. I also think there are just a couple of guys that could fit this bill.:cool:

8. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    For what it's worth I was watching Marc Schlereth talk about our O-line and Munch. Paraphrasing but he essentially said that we have put some high picks into our line and he thinks Munch will be able to coach up what we have.

I'm not opposed to an OL pick but IMO it has to be great value if it's in the 1st round. Maybe Matthews drops to us with his less than desirable measurable. Saw his arms were only 33-3/8, kinda short isn't it?

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    high picks don't always work out. especially marginal high picks as in adams and gilbert. it will also cost us next to nothing to dump either one of them for a guy that is already better then they are.

Matthews is not a can't miss head and shoulders above the others at the top type of player if you ask me. yes he's good, but he also played second fiddle to a guy drafted last year at LT. he only played that role for one year at A&M. shorter arms have been proven to make a difference in linemen as a rule. there are a few exceptions, but not many.

beachum has shown with the length of his arms that it helps. his are only 3/4 of an inch shorter than the 6-7 adams.

I wouldn't have a problem if munch could make kouandjio an all pro and move beachum to RT with his athleticism. I think he'd help the pass rush from that side moreso than gilbert. gilbert would be the guy I'd cut in a heartbeat. he's the only one that's a one position guy at tackle. then let munch work with adams, beachum and kouandjio.

I don't want to just slot him either if they think one of the other guys has that much upside, like yankey, or Richardson, or turner, or robinson if he fell.

kouandjio has the size number 1. he does a lot of things well as far as quick feet and athleticism. equally seasoned as a pass protector and run blocker. he's played in a pro set offense. all these are already above what we have so there would be less coaching for munch to do with a player like this and we won't have to wait and see IF he can make subpar guys into something.

sure it would be nice to add a weapon to bens arsenal but if he's on his back, will 30-40 catches help the offense or keep ben upright and let him find his proven weapons with those throws and let bell run for 1,500 yards. then add a big guy that can catch some balls later in this draft. ben will find the right receiver if he's protected. :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats my thoughts as well. I'm going to trust a guy like Munchak over anyone else, if he feels he can work with Gilbert/Adams, that's good enough for me. Tunch said that Munchak will elevate both their games, that he will teach Adams how to prepare and Gilbert to be more consistent.

We'll find out what he thinks of them at draft time.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Jake Matthews isn't can't miss, but I think he is really good. I don't think he will be as good as a Joe Thomas, but I think he will be better than Jake Long. I also think Matthews is better than Luke Joeckel even though the latter played the LT position at A&M 2 years ago.

My main issue with Matthews is just how high is his ceiling? To me both Robinson and Kouandjio have higher ceilings, but will they ever get to that level? Matthews will start from Day #1 and could play at a pro bowl early in his career. When I think of Jake Matthews I think of Jordan Gross from Carolina. I believe Gross also had shorter arms (33-1/4").

12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Keep an eye on Crockett Gilmore at the Combine tomorrow. He measured in at 6'6 260lbs, very long 33-3/4" arms and the largest hands of any TE at 10-3/8".

He was highly impressive at the East-West Shrine game and impressed further at the Senior Bowl. I know I'm kind of reaching here, but I'm sure Joey Porter probably has some insight on him being at Colorado St together. Opposite sides of the ball I know, but I'm sure Porter was able to make some observations about his work ethics and personality.

We all talk about the big 4 TEs, and there's even been alot of talk about Fiedorowicz, but Gilmore is on the move. Two months ago, I had never even heard of him, but I have been very impressed with him ever since.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Matthews is the one I don't think we can touch. after him though I think it's possible. I don't think robinson has all the tools kouandjio has at this time, but the potential is there to work with.:cool:

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree and think there are several TE's that could be very solid picks past the top guys. deeper than most first considered at this position. we should be able to come away with a good prospect from this bunch.:cool:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers meeting with Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief today.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I want to see these 4 run as well. It may be huge for this draft. Of course I would rather see Evans than Ewans :), but that is another story.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I like this. Moncrief is a nice prospect with size and speed. Interested to see him run..

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Running back measurements updated now, as well.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Benjamin meeting planned for today also.

21. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Jordan Matthews has some great measurables. Big Mitts on him.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL, I thought he was strictly talking about TE's, I was thinking, hmm, have no idea who that Ewans guy is :lolol:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I always did like moncrief. not the tallest or fastest guy but a nice mix of it. he's got weight size and I like how he outmuscles guys for the ball. definitely wouldn't be the worst pick if they made it around the 3rd.:cool:

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally agree mac..

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Biggest hands out of the entire group.