1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 GOTTA GO

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PSYCHOSTEELER, May 23, 2012.

1. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    In 2013 the cap casualty will have to be Hampton, Keisel, J. Scott, and yes I'm gonna say it, J. Harrison. With just those four gone they will knock off about 20 million off the cap.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If J. Scott is still on the team in 2012, something is very wrong. Backup at one OL position only? Get out.

If Harrison is still strong this year, which I expect him to be, we'd be crazy to drop him the following year. Say what you want about his age, I'll keep him 'til he's 100 if he keeps playing like this.

Hampton will go.

Keisel? We have the replacement. And he's getting up there in age. But he's another low mileage guy like Harrison, and hasn't shown any slowing down yet. That could be a tough call.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Well this is the last year of J Scotts contract so he will technically be gone. And same for Hampton too! He re-signed back in early 2010 and it was for only 3 seasons...2012 would be the 3rd year. So he wouldnt be part of the team either. Keisel will only have 1 year left after the 2012 season...and like Snack said he is low mileage/etc. So there are 2 bigger salaries gone right there.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wouldn't want to be the one telling Harrison he was gone...

5. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Can't agree with you anymore on that Thigpen. And to the others on the Harrison qoutes , I agree with ya but to me it would have to be a monster year 14-18 sacks, if it's 10 or below gotta go.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    harrison already said he struggled last year because he was coming off the back surgery. then he broke his eye socket. geezzzz. he only then had a slow year for his standards. he will be just fine this year. keisel is still the best D-linemen we have.

now foote will be gone. thats 3 mil. scott, thats 2 mil. clark i believe will be a FA also next year and may be gone. casey, will be a couple mil.

i doubt they take all the defenses money and spend it on the offense, but that will be where it's needed most likely. alot depends on lewis this year. they will have to pay him if he's the new #2. they will have to make a decision on worilds. on offense though we are looking at mendy,redman,wallace,brown,sanders,essex, legursky,foster,batch,leftwich,dwyer and maybe saunders and w.johnson depending how they do this year. :cool:

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    We are talking 2013 cuts already....damn, preseason 2012 hasn't even come around. Alot of things that can happen in a season. Let's get wind the division, then the AFC Championship, and the Superbowl in that order. My first concern isn't who we are going to cut in 2013, but rather opening night in Denver.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I read an interview yesterday with JH from Jim Wexell where he was talking about his health in comparison to last season. ~
    I'm sure we'll see Silverback's productivity soaring this year...as long as he isn't suspended for incidental helmet contact. ;-)

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's what i was going off of TSS. i said it last year though before the season that he would struggle coming off that type of surgery and he did. at least for the standard he plays and what we expect from him. he didn't have to say that. his downgraded play if thats what we want to call it is still better then most out there. he will be fine for a couple more years. most likely more then fine. troy is more of a concern for me then silverback is. troys injuries have been mounting up for years and i think really catching up to him now. :cool:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    TSS - TheStallworthSwann?

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL exactly!! oops sorry TTF. good catch thig. it's an elderly thing. :facepalm: :cool:

12. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Charley Batch will be cut.

If D. Johnson's blocking doesn't leap forward he get the axe too.

I think Baron Batch and Chris Rainey are the same player. So after this season (and maybe before) once the running back unit gets sorted with Mendenhall one of those guys will be cut or traded. Maybe Mendenhall too...

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Batch and Rainey are not close to the same player in my opinion....no more than mewelde moore and stephan logan were the same player

Hack

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not so sure Keisel is going anywhere. Hood hasn't proved he can get the job done yet, and Heyward hasn't proved anything yet either. We're not sure we even have his replacement yet.

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If we don't have Keisel's replacement (Heyward), we sure as heck wasted a 1st round draft pick.

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    um hood has basically been the starter for two years now. Hood does a solid job

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Hood is a below average DE in my mind. He's good enough to be in there, but he's not overly effective. If Heyward is good, then yeah, we have Keisel's replacement, but if Heyward doesn't pan out, we can't have two below average DE's along with a young, inexperienced NT. We'll never get pressure again and our DB's will get eaten alive.

18. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Ziggy was drafted to play LDE (Smith's old position) and Cam Heyward was selected to play RDE and eventually replace Keisel.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    We should know more about both young guys after 2012. Especially Heyward. I hope they do a real solid rotation. I don't know the official stats, but I'm guessing the playing time was something like 45/45/10 among the three. This year I'd like to see 40/40/20, and if Heyward looks really good early on bump it up to 33/33/33.

If he's below average, he's not good enough to be in there. Unless you have reeeeally low standards.

I believe so too. In fact, I don't see any alternative.

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagree. Below average implies he's in the bottom half of all the DE's in the league. You can't always have a top 10 player at every position, sometimes you have to settle for a player who isn't even top 20 in the league at his position. Now I know not all 32 teams run the 3-4. I'd say probably half run the 3-4 right now, so you're looking at about 30 starting DE's that play in the 3-4 scheme. I wouldn't classify Hood as top 15 out of those 30, so he's automatically below average.

Fortunately he's still young and inexperienced, so he has a chance to keep improving. I hope he does as we need him. That position is now officially his and he needs to step up and show why he was drafted so high. In my opinion, he hasn't looked good so far in his young career. I'm hopeful this will be his breakout year.

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh. To me below average meant below average for all the DEs in the league, not below the 16th best.

I agree about not being able to have playmakers everywhere. People hate on Hood for not being awesome, like being a solid starter isn't good enough for a first rounder. I'll take a solid starter at a position of need any day, especially when it's the only reasonable pick. I think if he'd been taken at 33 instead of 32, no one would say a peep. I also agree he still has time to improve, and think he'll have his best year so far in 2012. I hope someone gets in his ear about his pass rush.

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Isn't that kind of the same thing though? If there's 20 DE's in the league and Hood is 13th best, that's below average. I'd say 9th-11th best is average, everything else is either below or above average.

To be fair to Hood though, he's never been given a full time starter job yet and isn't overly experienced, whereas many of the players I'm comparing him to have already peaked, so there's no denying he has a chance to significantly improve. Lets hope that happens.