1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 NFL Free Agents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by gpguy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    For those interested here is one of the more up to date lists out there:

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents.php

Below I compiled a list of FAs that I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers possibly look into (though as we know it doesnt happen much plus the cap situation this year)...mainly this is just something to pass some time and have fun with and discuss. Now please keep in mind I tried to look at mid to low level guys for the most part and people the Steelers could actually possibly afford. I do not know everything about these guys, some I know more about than others...I also listed some positions that are not a huge need and all just for the hell of it. Also I tried not to list many RFA's. I think that covers it.

QB:

Brian Hoyer (RFA), QB, Patriots. Age: 26
    Josh Johnson, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 26
    Kyle Orton, QB, Chiefs. Age: 29
    Chad Henne, QB, Dolphins. Age: 27
    Josh McCown, QB, Bears. Age: 33
    Caleb Hanie, QB, Bears. Age: 27

RB:

Michael Bush, RB, Raiders. Age: 28
    Mike Tolbert, RB, Chargers. Age: 26
    Tashard Choice, RB, Bills. Age: 27
    Jason Snelling, RB, Falcons. Age: 28
    Jerious Norwood, RB, Rams. Age: 29

FB:

Le'Ron McClain, FB, Chiefs. Age: 27
    Owen Schmitt, FB, Eagles. Age: 27

TE:

John Carlson, TE, Seahawks. Age: 28
    Martellus Bennett, TE, Cowboys. Age: 25
    Kellen Davis, TE, Bears. Age: 26
    Leonard Pope, TE, Chiefs. Age: 28

WR:

Harry Douglas, WR, Falcons. Age: 27
    Early Doucet, WR, Cardinals. Age: 26

OT:

Jared Gaither, OT, Chargers. Age: 26
    Demetrius Bell, OT, Bills. Age: 28

OG/OC:

Samson Satele, C, Raiders. Age: 27
    Kraig Urbik (RFA), G/C, Bills. Age: 26
    Jeremy Zuttah, G/C, Buccaneers. Age: 26
    Mike Pollak, C/G, Colts. Age: 27
    Dan Connolly, G/C, Patriots. Age: 29
    Chad Rinehart (RFA), G, Bills. Age: 27

DE:

Adam Carriker, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 28

DT/NT:

Sammie Lee Hill (RFA), NT, Lions. Age: 25

OLB:

?

ILB:

Dan Connor, ILB, Panthers. Age: 26
    Larry Grant (RFA), ILB, 49ers. Age: 27
    Jameel McClain, ILB, Ravens. Age: 27
    Tarvares Gooden, ILB, 49ers. Age: 27
    Tim Shaw, ILB, Titans. Age: 28
    Keyaron Fox, ST, Redskins. Age: 30

CB:

Richard Marshall, CB, Cardinals. Age: 27
    Tracy Porter, CB, Saints. Age: 26
    Jarrett Bush, CB, Packers. Age: 28
    Eric Wright, CB, Lions. Age: 27

S:

LaRon Landry, SS, Redskins. Age: 27
    Dashon Goldson, FS, 49ers. Age: 27
    Brodney Pool, S, Jets. Age: 28
    Tom Zbikowski, SS, Ravens. Age: 27

K:

Josh Scobee, K, Jaguars. Age: 30
    Connor Barth, K, Buccaneers. Age: 26
    Neil Rackers, K, Texans. Age: 36

P:

Mat McBriar, P, Cowboys. Age: 33
    Steve Weatherford, P, Giants. Age: 29

THOUGHTS?

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Can we please get some help in the secondary?

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How good is Sammie Lee? I doubt he is back as they have 2 first round DT's on the Lions now....

I'd take either fullback....

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As I said in my post...we all know the situation with the Steelers very rarely going for FAs...and the cap situation...this is just my personal list of people I wouldnt mind seeing...and just something for fun and to pass the time for us all to talk about (instead of BA/etc haha). Jeeez

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I only saw him a few times (obviously didnt watch many Lions games). But he seemed decent when he was in there...I think he was a 4th round pick. And a lot of people here wanted the Steelers to draft him that year too. I would be shocked if Detroit let him go...just because they have 2 first rounders doesnt mean anything. One of the keys to Schwartz's D is the DL (like when he was in TN)...shoot Fairley didnt do much this year he was hurt or whatever...and they do rotate guys...so I think they do try and keep him.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When looking at D-linemen, keep in mind that the Dolphins are switching to a 4-3. Soliai (28) and Langford (26) may be allowed to walk as they are both prototypical 3-4 players. If we could swing those 2 guys, it would be quite a coup. They are very good players, and would be plug-in starters. I'm not high on Ziggy as a 3-4 DE. I think his long-term future is playing inside on a 4-3 team.

The O-line is weak in free agency this season, but I think Zuttah and Collins from Cinci are both good backup caliber players that I wouldn't mind taking a look at. I see little. if any, potential help for the secondary in this free agent crop (unless we break the bank and sign Calais Campbell as a DE, which would significantly improve our pass rush without weakening our run defense).

On that last note - I am usually not an advocate of buying a high price UFA, and I know that our cap situation is a problem, but Campbell is one of the very few high profile UFAs to come out in recent years that I would consider going after. The guy is quite possibly the best 3-4 DE in the entire NFL, and he's 25.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You would drop our starting DE, sign a free agent with money we don't have to replace him, and keep Heyward on the bench? If we need to add any DE, it's the #4 spot.

The NT I would take, but we won't have the money.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Like I said, I'm not sold on Hood as a 3-4 DE. He is not bad, but he doesn't help our LBs stay as clean as I'd like (meaning that he doesn't draw the regular double teams that you want your DE to draw). He also doesn't push the pocket nearly as much as I expected him to when I saw him in college. Keisel is 33, and has missed at least some time in each of the past 4 seasons, so it would be risky to assume that he will be solid for 16 games + the playoffs. I'm pretty high on Heyward, but I don't know that I'd count on him being an every down player next season. Basically what I'm saying is that - money aside (and I recognize there are big ifs related to money) - I would seek to switch a guy like Langford for Hood, and anticipate a natural transition from Keisel to Heyward at the other spot over the next 1-2 years. I do agree that it's not likely to happen, and that we will likely shore up the 4th spot.

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Concerning the big money guys out there...a guy like Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Matt Forte, etc would all be great, haha.

As far as the Dolphins...why are they switching to a 4-3...i thought the coach/etc was a 3-4 guy (even though he was an OC before). And Soliai can still be a DT in a 3-4...just like other potential NTs do. Langford I dont know as much about him...but yeah he would be a great 3-4 DE...but again he COULD play in a 4-3 as a DT even too. So theres a chance those guys could still be kept.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mike Tolbert would be nice for me. We wouldn't be having any more short yardage issues with him. I really think we need a secondary though. ESPECIALLY CORNER HELP!!

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You think our RBs are the reason for our short yardage woes? We have some of the best short yardage running backs in the league. We've suffered from poor blocking on the OL, poor blocking from the FB, and poor playcalling from the BA. I've got no issues with Mendy and Redman.

13. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Please help my sanity and just take Connor Barth

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Larry Grant, ILB, Pittsburgh Steelers. I like it!

I think San Fran will put a pretty high tender on him and match nearly any offer that comes in.

Wouldn't mind Kyle Orton, either, although I think he's still young enough to push for a starting spot somewhere and we probably wouldn't be able to match any bid for him. I think we re-sign Lefty and call it good.

15. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I would like to get Mike Tolbert to work with Redman as a one two punch.

Maybe Owen Schmidt as a blocking FB.

Jared Gaither who may be better then an injury prone Colon and Starks, and Scott!

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Let's be realistic. We have to cut a ton of money just to get under the cap. The chances we'll actually go out and sign a new guy of any kind are pretty slim. We don't even do that when we have money to burn. If we get anyone at all, it needs to be a position of need. What the hell are we going to do with Mike Tolbert? His only real strength is as a short yardage back, and Redman is at least as good as him, if not better. There's absolutely no space for him on the roster, unless you're dropping Mendenhall. You want him to replace Mendenhall? Replace speed with power, when you already have a great power back? I do not see the appeal on any level.

I would take any good lead blocking FB, and Gaither if he's willing to be a swing OT, but I bet he'll be looking to start. I'd also look at Grant to see if he could eventually replace Farrior. I wanted us to get Goldson last year, but now he'll want way more money than we can give him. I would take a good hard look at Sammie Lee Hill.

What's the deal with Dan Connor? I know he's backing up Beason and looking for a starting job, but how much money will he be looking for? I'm assuming too much for us, because everyone is.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ˆˆˆˆ
    NO WAY do I take Gaither. Dude is bad news. He had a good year this year, but eventually his true colors will shine through... Ravens got rid of him for a reason.

I know we are against the cap now, but there are plenty of tricks to fudge the numbers and get a free agent you want. At some point, with Ben approaching 30, it will be too late to just say ,"Yeah, we will just groom a young draft pick on the line to block for Ben," eventually we need a FA who step in day 1. Paying a free agent linemen is a better investment than diva skill position players.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I suppose of all the guys from the original post I would pick Tracy Porter.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, if Max Starks can recover from his ACL tear, stay in shape, be willing to take a backup role and re-signs for the minimum, I'd take him. But otherwise, we're looking at either Jonathan Scott or no one at all as the swing OT. Essex has proven that his best position is #3 center, followed by guard. He's not a tackle on any level, even if that's his favorite spot. I'd take Gaither over Scott. Again, only for the minimum, and only as a backup. Coming off a good run, he might not take either of those.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a feeling once the Steelers start purging players and restructuring contracts they will have enough room to go out and make a deal where they feel will help them. They are going to unload alot of money and players. Hell they got rid of Franco, Webby, Peezy,Faneca
    they can do the same with these players we have now. Yes it will hurt, but to stay competitive
    they will do just this.

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Tracy Porter

Owen Schmitt :frustrated: <------- (for anybody that gets this reference...lol guy is a goon)

22. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dan Connor ILB, Owen Schmitt FB, Sione Pouha NT, Jermichael Finley TE, Adam Carriker DE

These are a few I wouldn't mind the FO looking at.

23. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tolbert would look great in the black and gold...... :hehehe:

24. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Josh Scobee or any kicker that they would have felt good enough to put out there to kick a 47 yarder against Baltimore in the game that cost us home field in the playoffs this season. That game and situation was so unacceptable that it cemented the fact to me that we need a different kicker for 2012.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    evan mathis anyone? :cool: