1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 Mock Draft websites have us picking....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mrn6, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just because I am bored, I looked at some websites out there to see who they have us picking..

it varies from Zeitler the big Guard from Wisconsin
    Cordy Glenn big guard from Georgia
    Vintaz Burfict LB Arizona State
    Dante Hightower LB from Alabama

I am torn between a big guard in the first round or a stud inside linebacker. I am wondering if Stevenson sylvester can do the job at ILB

thoughts?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd rather us have a more mobile guard/guards. 3 pouncy's on the interior. i'd like to see kuechly fall to us as an ilb. :cool:

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    While I think it is imperative to improve our Oline this offseason, guard is the one position that rarely has 1st round worthy talent. There are only a few, one of which is an underclassman and will probably be gone by the time we draft. Hightower is who I picked in my most recent mock as he is a leader and can call the plays for the D, which makes him a possible replacement for Farrior. I also still believe that we must draft a WR at some point in the draft, maybe in round 6 with the hope that he explodes like Brown has. This needs to be the Ward type of receiver though.

Burfict IMO will never see a Steeler uniform. The guy has a ton of talent, but he is exactly the kind of guy the Bengals would draft.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd like to see joe looney from wake forest. he can play LG and center. highly underated guy. mobile and smart. :cool:

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont follow college ball enough to have names, but I think we need to go OL....

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the only guard i would take in the first rd is de castro

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Exactly. There is plenty of talent to wait until round 2 to take a guard. Because of that, I see ILB first round, but if we choose to go OLine first round, it should be for a Tackle.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I like Burfict but if he's not available I like jenoris Jenkins CB from North alabama

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not sold on taking a LB in the 1st round. I know the Steelers success has pretty much always been linked to LB'ers, but the game has changed so much, I'm not so sure that stud LB'ers are needed anymore. Most teams in the league have different LB'ers come in depending on the down and distance anyway, they don't rely on just 3 or 4 LB'ers and they rarely draft LB'ers high anymore. I personally think we should switch to a 4-3 and beef up our defensive line. Hood comes from a 4-3 anyway, so maybe this will help him be the player we thought he would be. Spend our high picks on Dline and Oline, get a QB and WR late (preferably a tall WR), grab a LB in the middle rounds and get a CB in the middle rounds as well.

Besides, the last few years Lebeau hasn't been able to get to the QB like he used to. It seems like either we get 5-6 sacks per game, or we get 0. We're not consistent enough, so I think we should consider switching systems and spending more picks on lineman rather than LB'ers.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe we need GUARDS like people need water, but you can find good quality guards in later rounds. If a stand-out linebacker or Nose Tackle is there at the first pick you can not pass him up for a stand-out guard.

11. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

McShay has us picking Jarvis Jones out of Georgia..... Would that be standout enough????? ;)

They also mention a pass catching tight end, cause Heath will be a free agent in 2013. Anyone see him extending, or us replacing him?

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Extending.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers will have a late first round pick anyways so its practically like a 2nd rounder anyways.... If you know the guy is a sure thing at guard for years to come who cares when you pull the trigger, why wait for the 2nd round????

14. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    I think we definitely need to go oline in the first. This should have been a high priority years ago to protect our franchise quaterback. I am afraid by the time we get the oline fixed we may need to think about the quarterback position. I don't know how much more of a beating Ben can take.

15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    OL unless they can grab a guy in FA.

Although they've started to address it, it was neglected far too long.

Time to make up for lost time.

16. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Good point. But if Jarvis Jones out of Georgia is there in the first, I doubt he will be there in the second. Or anyone of his quality. But you can still find a starting guard in the second. I say best player available based on Guard, ILB and Nose tackle. Who is the better player overall.

17. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I would be happy with that selection. Is there a better quality guard? I doubt it. How about a ILB but it takes them so long to see the field in Lebeau defense. Maybe we can find another "james farrior" through free agency.

I thought Wesyle Saunders was going to be our next passing catching TE. He was pretty good at South Carolina.

18. SteelChampions

SteelChampions Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Burfict and Jenkins are both phenomenal players, however the Steelers simply do not draft guys like these due to character flaws

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would hope with the purge of players after this year, the Steelers will be able
    to be creative in the draft and FA. If we are to stay competitive with the GC, NE, Balt.
    we need to get players that can make immediate impacts.Although
    Mike Tomlin and for the most part the rest of the coaching staff do
    not want to play young talented guys? Why isn't Cam Heyward starting,
    why isn't Stevenson Sylvester getting more playing time? I can go on.

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we don't go OL in the 1st round, we better take Burfict. Yes, he's got some attitude problems, but so do a lot of players that come into the NFL. The Steelers team should be able to get people to mentor him and help him get things under control. He is exactly what we need at LB and he could learn from Farrior for a year while sharing playing time, and then the following year he could take over the starting spot

21. Steelmac5

Steelmac5 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We need to go Rd. 1 CB
    Rd 2 OL
    Rd 3 DL

Mike

22. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    We need to go:
    Rd. 1 OG
    Rd. 2. NT
    Rd 3. ILB
    Rd. 4. OG
    Rd. 5. WR (depending if Sanders foot heals)
    Rd. 6. S
    Rd. 7. ILB

Now, Rd 1 would depend on who has the best value at OG, NT, and ILB. Whoever we go with needs to be a day one starter. I know it's hard for guys on defense to be a day-one starter but if we did go defense, he should be good enough to see the field sometime during the season.

I believe we are good at corner . Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Will Gay, Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis. Safety could use some depth though.

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Cam Heyward isnt starting because he is not better the Keisel (or Ziggy) at this point...they are rotating him in though which is a good thing. He will not start full time until Keisel is gone/his play slips a lot...or if there is an injury. A lot of young guys are getting more playing time. The WRs, TE (Saunders), OL (Gilbert/Pouncey), DL (Hood, McLendon, Heyward), DB Lewis, Allen and C Brown. In the past there havent been this many younger guys getting this much playing time...guys are getting time and developing faster/better because of it.

24. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I know we need some defensive players and offensive linemen but has anyone really stopped to think about a QB to groom? I mean with Ben getting injured and pummeled into the ground like he won't last long. New linemen won't fix that immediately so all I'm saying is how about we draft a QB as well.

25. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I could see a QB coming in round 5,6 or 7 Just to keep 10 on his toes.But yes we have to draft a quality QB not in this draft but maybe 2 or 3 drafts from now.