1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2005 O-line vs. 2016 O-line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HeinzMustard, Sep 23, 2016.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Smith - Faneca - Hartings - Simmons - Starks VS. Villanueva - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Gilbert.

I say the '05 line is better on the left side, at present, than the '16 line. Villanueva could turn out to be one of the best Steelers LTs as he progresses... but he's yet to achieve the consistency that Marvel Smith achieved.

The '16 line is better on the right side. Center is a draw. Hartings was a beast of a center... and did not have the bad luck of injuries like Pouncey, but Pouncey is a little more athletic and quicker to get to the 2nd level.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    05 is better but this line can be really special. Also doesnt hurt that haley designs plays to get the ball out quick.

3. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    In the run game,
    05 was better at what they did (Power/Trap).
    16 is better at what they do (Inside Zone/Trap).

Overall, I'd give the slight edge to 16... and by the end of year, AV may make that gap wider.

(Both Faneca and Decastro are phenomenal pulling guards)
    (Hartings and Pouncey is also a push)
    (Foster is significantly better than Simmons)
    (Gilbert is significantly better than Starks)
    (Smith was significantly better than AV)

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with all of that... but DeCastro is RG, Faneca was LG. Faneca is much better than Foster. DeCastro is much better than Simmons. It's not really fair to compare Foster and Simmons since they played different positions. DeCastro and Faneca are identical in skill set. If DeCastro keeps it up... he will join Faneca in HOF nominees.

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's perfectly fair, they are the primary pulling/trapping guard in the offense... doesn't matter what side they play

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Winners....
    '05 Smith, Faneca, Simmons
    '16 Pouncey and Gilbert

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably have to take the '05 line.

The '16 line is really good and may be the best in the league. Deliver us our 7th Lombardi and then we'll talk.

I still might say the '04 line was the best of the bunch. With the injuries and a rookie QB, every team knew what we were going to line up and do. We ran it down each teams throat week in and week out. How great was Keydrick Vincent that year?

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Smith over Villy
    Faneca over Foster
    Pouncey/Hartings stalemate. I'd take 53
    Decastro over Simmons
    Gilbert over Starks

Just like you said... the left side was better in '05 and our right side is stronger now. We have a pretty good unit. It's no doubt a part of why we are so good offensively. Can't have Ben Bell and Brown killing it without the line holding up