1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Stupid Questions...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry, might have missed this, but, why are the 50 yard lines marked with gold this pre-season, in all the stadiums?
    Is there a 50 year anniversary, that I am unaware of?

And on a more technical note, I`ve recentley become more aware of the quarterbacks pointing out the "MIKE" linebacker, pre-snap..

Can anyone explain the importance of this to me?

I assume it has to do with protection schemes, for the linemen, but, I don`t really understand how pointing out one linebacker, can tell the linemen/running backs who to block, given the wide variety of defensive schemes/fronts/coverages that they face...

For instance, just pointing out the "Mike" doesn`t tell them if the D is blitzing, playing man coverage, zone coverage, or, playing a basic, run-stopping defense, does it?

I know I`m ignorant.
    That`s why I am asking for clarification, on why it`s so important...

Every team does it, so it`s gotta mean more than I understand.

Any help from fellow board members/coaches, appreciated...:shrug:

GO STEELERS!!!

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You're on the right track. The QB is telling his linemen who the Mike is, at least for that play (which is an important distinction), not to tell them who's blitzing or what coverage they're showing, but who to block or not block on that play. This can get pretty detailed, but to keep it simple, he's often calling the Mike because for this particular play he wants his lineman (or running back) to treat player X as the Mike linebacker so if he rushes- block him, or if he drops back, follow your assignment. This can be for run or pass plays.

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, coach...
    So, maybe the guy the qb calls out as the "Mike", might not be the actual "Mike", in the defensive scheme?

And why are all the "50" yardline numbers colored gold this year?:shrug:

GO STEELERS!!!:towel:

4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Right, sometimes he's not the actual Mike linebacker. The QB's just labeling him that.

The 50 yard lines are gold for the 50th SB anniversary. I'm not sure of the specifics about that, though.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought the Mike was always the Middle Linebacker.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no, ours was named jack for alot of years.:smiley1::cool:

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL. Well yeah. Do you know where the nickname originated from? Other positions have nicknames too but Mike is the most prevalent.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are no stupid questions. Although, there are some stupid people who are very inquisitive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mainly to identify the Mike LB or the 50 . As TTF said it can get real complicated. But for basic knowledge it tells the OL which way to slide protection and it tells the RB which gap or player he is responsible for if he blitzes . It also tells the WR's there Hot read . For example if the Safety comes down for a blitz to the right side of the Offense the QB will call the LB on that side the 50 .

This slides the line that way puts the RB in the A Gap and makes the 1st. WR nearest the QB on that side the hot read.Again this is just basics as most Teams have an entire play change against certain looks.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Do yourself a favour and buy this book

It's literally the best book I've ever read when it comes to understanding football. It's an easy read, but it will also help you understand aspects of the game that you never understood before. You won't regret it, I promise, and if you do, I'll buy the book from you for whatever you paid.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just saw what happened to my link in my post above. I love that feature TTF. Very nice!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Identifying someone as the mike linebacker sets up the protection for the center and backs. Typically the offensive guards and tackles take the defensive tackles and ends (most offensive lines try to block big on big). The center and backs have to figure out who is left unaccounted for to block. So based on defensive formation and tendencies learned during film, the QB (or center) calls out the Mike, which gives the center his blocking assignment. Once the Mike is establsihed - it may not be the player who in reality is the middle linebacker, the backs will know who to block. Without doing this, the center and backs may be late in figuring out who their guy is.

15. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You dont have teenagers do you? "Mom, how much is a dollar sweet tea?" ....Actual question from my oldest teenage son; bless his heart. :roflmao:

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was going to a Monday Football game once and I talked to my stepmom in the early afternoon on that day and she said "Isn't the game about to start?" and I said "No. It is tonight. That's why it's called Monday NIGHT Football". She was like "DUH!" LOL!

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol!!:lolol:
    I never claimed to be a genius...
    Just like curiosity killed the cat, I always wanna learn more about what I don`t know...
    That`s why I asked...
    Thank God he blessed us with 9 lives!

Thanks, Shaner, I will take you up on that, but I don`t expect to ask for a refund...
    If it doesn`t help me, I will chalk it up to poor reading comprehension skills...
    In America, we spell it "favor".. and we don`t ALL look to sue, for our own shortcomings, despite appearances...:rolleyes::lolol:

I`m sure someone here knows, and has explained in the past, why "Mike" refers to the strongside ILB, and "Sam", to the weakside ILB... but all that`s over my head...

I just like to watch either one of them crush runningbacks, and quarterbacks!!!:cool::towel:

Thanks for the link about the gold numbers...I was wondering about that, and didn`t make the connection.
    That explained it.
    Appreciated.:thumbs_up:

I knew if I wanted information, this was the place to come, and my board members did not dissappoint!:thumbs up::dancing:...

Thanks to all.:towel:
    GO STEELERS!!!

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If qb's were calling out the Mike and the Sam it would be like "There's the Michael Sam!" LOL!

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm: