1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Round Options

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Trade up for top talent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stay at 22 and make pick

31.3%
  3. Trade back and gain more picks

68.8%
  1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Just kinda curious about what everyone would do if they were the GM:

Trade up to get a guy like Waynes, Fowler or Beasley

Stay at 22 and make pick

Trade back and gain another pick or two

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would definitely trade back and get more picks. I like more of the options in the later rounds than I do at the top.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Trade back a few spots

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'd trade down all day. I am not a fan of this year's draft, and where we are sitting in it. I don't think there are more than 15 or so guys who truly have 1st round pedigree (a number that's seemingly falling by the minute). Once you get past those guys, the rest of the pack are pretty close for about the next 30+ picks. I don't really care to take a guy at #22 when a similar graded players will be there at the end of the round.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Depends who's on the board, obviously. But I am not at all leaning towards trading up. I'm 50-50 on trading back at this point. We'll have to wait and see how many of our targets are still on the board at #22.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I want to put it on record somewhere that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what is going to happen in the first round. Usually I do. In 2010 we all saw Pouncey coming. In 2011 Cam Heyward was definitely on our radar, and at the time we picked the only other guy talked about that was left was Aaron Williams, and I was never into him for some reason. Not a surprise. In 2012 the surprise was that DeCastro was available, but he was everyone's #1 target all along. In 2013 Jarvis Jones seemed like a foregone conclusion. Last year Shazier was my co-#2 after Kyle Fuller, so that wasn't too surprising either (although I admit I thought they'd trade down before selecting him at #15).

I have no freaking clue what's going to happen tomorrow. No idea. My head is spinning. I thought I had a handle on it. I thought all the pass rushers would be long gone. I thought we'd simply choose between KJ and Peters. Now not only might we be looking at Shane Ray and Randy Gregory, but we might actually pass on them both! Guys who, a month ago, we'd have traded up to steal them if they fell to the late teens. Now there's talk of them being there for us in the 2nd (And do we take them then, or pass again??). This is madness. This is the first year I'm actually glad I don't have a say in the decision making. I don't want to be held accountable for what would really be a shot in the dark.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I voted to stay put. I figure this thing is gonna be a run away with people wanting to trade back and get more picks. Running the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't like it unless very specific circumstances happen. If someone overpays for 22 in an effort to get someone, then cool. I can deal. Or if number 1 on our board is pretty certainly gonna be available later in the round, then we might as well try to gain an asset to go with the guy we want (unlikely but possible).

22 is the best spot we can pick from without giving up assets, why not just pick there? Theoretically speaking the best players get drafted earlier, and the percentages of first rounders that turn into good players are higher than the rounds that follow... Adding a late 3rd round pick doesn't get me super excited, especially for how far we would have to drop in order to get that pick. I guess it all depends on who we like, but I find it though to imagine a scenario where we don't like someone enough to take them at 22.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm rarely in favor of moving up, Fowler being the rare exception. Trading down is always more agreeable to me but of course, depends who is sitting there at 22.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is the way I look at it I want to trade back which would get us most likely an extra 3 rd. I also feel that a pass rusher or even Peters is better valve the lower in the 1st we go. I also like the value of picks in rounds 2-4, this draft is lacking the big can't miss stars but I feel it is loaded with above avg players who could turn into super stars in the right scheme. An extra pick in those rounds could be something we look back on and go wow. JMO

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Trade down, for sure, and out of the 1st completely if possible. Grab some of that 2nd round magic!

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    stay put and get rowe to fix the backend and get us some size in the defensive backfield. he's got a nicely rounded skillset that we can use. he is a first round talent at our pick and can help at several spots and ST's. he'd make us better. my picks always seem to end up a B-more though.:facepalm::cool:

12. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    If Melvin Gordon is there, take him and let Detroit and Dallas get into a bidding war to get him from us.
    Then use the extra picks to get Rowe cb/s from Utah, and Amos cb/s from penn state. Fix D backfield quick.
    As well as a few other choice picks.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so help me understand something here and I am not trying to be disrespectful but you start a thread about how your not gonna be a steeler fan if they don't draft Gordon. Then talk about how he is such a great fit for us and now you want us to draft and trade him??? You whole point in the other thread was how great we would be with him, now he is just worth draft picks??? :hmmm:

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    How common is it for a trade to take place after a selection is made? Wouldn't the bidding war take place before we draft anybody? They would understand that if they get our pick, they get the player they want.

Take the best deal you can get before time runs out, if you want to trade back. Otherwise, drafting Gordon and then hoping to start a bidding war sounds like a good way to get stuck with a guy who - surely you agree - would be a terrible draft choice for us. Seriously, can you imagine throwing away a first rounder on Gordon?

15. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    But after we trade Gordon for picks we could trade those picks for Gordon!

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    :lolol:

a true "guru" indeed...

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

:this!: :applaud:

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, really, Gordon has bust written all over him, who would get into a bidding war over him? Dwyer was 10 times the back he is, won't be surprised if he goes undrafted, bum.

19. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    The problem is ... who is the top talent? This seems like a pretty weak draft all the way up to the #1 overall pick.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Everyone has their opinion I think this draft is deep at the CB position and unlike some here I like the safety class. It is lacking at the "super star" spot but I feel pretty solid thru the middle, jmo. I know what your saying but I don't feel that way about this draft.

21. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Well, don't blame me if the Ravens are hoisting the Lombardi this year. I tried to help.

22. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Why, because we didn't trade up for Gordon and drafted a need while the Ravens drafted a WR that can't catch a cold butt naked in Alaska?!