1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Round of 2022 NFL draft, Steelers select QB poll

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Yes they pick a QB in round 1

2. No they'll pick another position

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    My guess is the QB`s supposed to be drafted by somebody will be picked much later than expected.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was advocating picking up Trubisky way back in the year, and still really like him as our starter next year.

That said, I think the chances of him being our next franchise QB are slim. If we pick up another 1st rounder, we get to sit him and develop before letting Trubisky go.

That said (2), I hope they don’t draft a QB in the 1st!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would prefer that we add talent to the roster and avoid reaching for a QB. We could use upgrades/depth at many positions on the current roster. Build the team and drop a young, talented QB in the middle of it. That's what worked with Ben. Do I think that's what the Steelers will do?

No, with the resources the FO has invested in the QB's in this draft, they're going QB in the first, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They aren’t fans of trading back and in the presser Colbert explained why, they don’t know if they’d be trading away a Sanders or Brown.

And teams don’t trade back just to accumulate picks, they have to be sure the player they covet will still be there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you’ve taken the quote out of context. Sanders and Brown were later round picks (3rd and 6th I believe). When you give up picks to trade up, you give up the ability to make those selections after the 1st round. The opposite would hold true. If you trade back and add picks, you have more shots at finding guys like that after the 1st round. The Steelers’ issue with trading down is that they don’t worry about what other teams are doing. If there’s a guy they like, they don’t want to lose him by assuming he’ll be available later and trading down. They’d prefer to just take the guy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oops, yup, got his answer backwards, that was in regards to moving up. What you explained about moving back was the answer he gave.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The FO should have waited a year to invest research and time into QBs. Next year's class will be much better. This draft class is potentially the worst since 2013 for QBs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A) Thats your opinion and probably false.

B) The extraordinary 2023 class I keep hearing about basically consist of two players, neither of which the Steelers will be remotely close enough to draft. Last year it was Rattler and Howell as can’t miss. Howell is being regarded as a 2nd rd pick and Rattler stayed in school because his play fell off. There are no guarantees for next seasons draft class.

C) Vetting QB’s now or any player for that matter puts them ahead of the game when players become available after their first contract.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I agree with this take.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Teams must find it interesting to go back through their draft boards and see how they ranked players and how the players actually performed. Teams need to measure a player's smarts, work ethic, and passion along with their talent. Tom Brady's passion for football is off the charts. Kurt Warner's and James Harrison's perseverance were off the charts. AB's work ethic was off the charts. So many of the 70's Steelers players smarts were off the chart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is not as if they didn't invest research and time into other positions. They need a long-term answer at quarterback. It would have been stupid not to take a closer look at these guys, especially if one of them falls to them in the second round. That is at least possible with Ridder and Howell.

That doesn't mean they have to take one in the first round.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

B is 100% correct.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    We've disagreed more often than not during the draft process and I've always found that ok. Here I have to totally agree. Even even if they 100% feel Mitch will refind himself here, they have to invest time in studying film of these QBs and seeing them work and meeting them. It's due diligence and foolish not to. Perhaps one actually blew them away, perhaps none blew them away. I guess we'll find out Thursday.

• Like Like x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Will Levis and Phil Jurkovec could rise up in the 2023 QB rankings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    By all accounts, the team (Colbert/Tomlin/etc) want to enter camp with 4 QB's. (It looks like 3 now)
    I think it cannot be but a Mason/Mitch competition for starter with even a Willis looking in from the outside.
    So, I am pretty certain they will be drafting a QB, it's more of a question as when.

I don't subscribe to the 2022 QB's are trash deal.
    I am more in agreement that none will be elite out of the gate.

I think it also comes down to who is dropping.
    I've seen one of those mock things have all of them drop to 19 where Pickett goes then Willis to Pittsburgh.
    I doubt that happens.

I more envision Pittsburgh taking any other position than QB at #20. (unless, they all drop to 19)
    Then grabbing Best QB available in the 2nd.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not true. I've already had this argument. I guess You didn't read it.
    1. I can show You multiple quotes saying (before the year started) this draft class would be a weaker one.
    2. There is more than just 2 higher Qbs next year....unless someone gets badly Hurt.
    Your ( C.) Is very correct though. :thumbs_up:

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Imo Jurkovec should already be there, and in others besides Myself....I have heard the same.

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I know I will be slamming down a beer every time a QB is drafted before the Steelers pick in celebration.

IF they can all come off the board before #20 maybe we won't take a QB.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Dilly dilly :tequila:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Ridder and Corral did this season as well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whats not true? I don’t know what you are talking about with number one. Sounds like you are making a claim to something I didn’t even dispute. What does you stating multiple times about a weaker class have anything to do with what I wrote.

And it is two players that are being highly touted and even if you like other QB’s in that class more which is nothing more than your opinion by the way but even if there are, a lot can happen in a year as I pointed out with Howell and Rattler.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Someone dusted off dilly dilly, I like it.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You answered Your own question with Your own last sentence. Apparently.
    As for numerous 1. You already forgot what You answered when You wrote (A.)????
    You keep saying, or implying that they said this would be a great draft class, and I keep saying I can show quotes that show this is not true. I don't know what's difficult 2 understand???:shrug:
    Only one guy was really even talked about, and that was Howell. I don't know how that would not make it a weak draft class:shrug:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022