1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

19 of 26 for 124 yards

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Not going to win too many games with that stat line. Bell ran for more yards then Vick passed. You mean to tell me Landry couldnt do that? Bet you Landry completes a 5 yard pass to AB.

Great signing, we have Tebow now only less likable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what ticks me off about Bell not having the ball in his hands at the end. He IS our offense and they trust Vick to close it out. Just frustrating.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Two times they needed to convert a 4th down and they goto Vick both times. I cant get on the pass to AB because the play was there to be made but the sweep? Horrible, I have to think Bell converts one of those. Haley or Tomlin, whoever it was, terrible.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Putting the game into the hands of a Washed Up QB squarely lies on the shoulders of Tomlin. I'm not a Tomlin basher, but that loss just dropped him down a peg in my mind. His presser he says "This loss is not going to define us". Really? :facepalm:

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's like the longer the game went the worse the calls got. Cooler Talk said they think the reason Vick was going to our second stringers so much is because he gets more reps with them and feels more comfortable with them. I guess that might explain the Coates play but I still don't think it excuses it.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He played OK in the first half. Not starter grade, but definitely OK. However, once we hit 20 points he seemed to really retreat and do nothing. It was like he was saying "don't be the reason we lose" over and over in his head. he took sacks when receivers were open. He took sacks instead of tucking the ball and running. He basically became a complete non-factor after a decent first half and first drive of the 3rd quarter? Could Jones do better? I doubt it strongly based on what we've seen for a few preseasons now, but you never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No doubt about that BFT that was the case with Batch, Lefty and even DD they had more chemistry with the 3rd and 4th guys because those are ones they play with more

8. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2015
    I thought Vick played fairly well the first half and was gassed or rattled for the 2nd. He was able to pick up some yardage with his legs which could be an asset going forward, had a nice TD pass to DHB, and what should've been a TD pass to Brown.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just took that as the game plan changed. He didn't lose the game for us in the first half. They (Haley) had him looking for a target, and if it wasn't there, running. In the second half, he suddenly was standing in the pocket and throwing dink and dunk stuff. I cant imagine that he decided to do that on his own - knowing that he is a running QB. It killed our momentum and our field position.

The two fourth down conversions I have absolutely no explanation for.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was one drive - the one where Vick was scrambling a lot - where the offense looked "comfortable". Otherwise, everything was a little off. In the 2nd quarter we got a head of steam and things were clicking. In the second half we became one dimensional, and Vick started hesitating more.

All we can hope for now is that they manage to get the offense more comfortable and in sync; or they put Landry out there, tailor a stratified gameplan for him (as they did when Ben was a rookie), and let the likes of Bell and Brown do their thing. I think the latter is unlikely, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

11. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The biggest problem is with that stat line and they still should have won. Frustrating. For all the good Haley has done lately last night was awful with both him and Tomlin. At least Landry attempts to throw the ball down field. Brown couldn't have been that covered up all night.

12. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Honestly if Scobee makes the 41 yarder this thread doesn't exist.

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually regardless of the Score field goals this is not an acceptable performance by a veteran NFL QB. If Landry Jones had put up that performance there would be 5 different threads calling for his head. Yet somehow the excuse of short week, short time in the offense and 9 others reasons why it was an ok effort by Vick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I know its going to take more than 1 game for people to admit that Vick cant lead this team but he was awful, this is who he is, this is what you are going to get with him. Unfortunately for Vick, football is a 60 minute game, he doesnt get a pat on the back for playing an OK first half.

Landry has improved while working with 2nd and 3rd stringers, imagine what he might be able to do with starters, I doubt it would be any worse than what was on display last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    By Vick standards it was a good effort. Just wait until he has a bad game haha.

16. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Or Brown. It might not have worked, but why not try a sweep or reverse with Brown? He's normally shifty enough to get a couple of yards out of it. To be honest, I think with having both Williams and Bell in the backfield that would be the perfect time to do a reverse.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I'm not thrilled with Vick to be sure, but I think he's clearly a better option than Jones, and it's not even close. Keep in mind that Landry has played against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He's played against vanilla defenses where the opposing coaches were more focused on evaluating their players than going after him. How's he going to do against NFL starters when the opposing DC knows they've got an interception-prone newbie at QB?

Seriously, I know you hate Vick, and I do too, but he is clearly the best option on our roster right now. Now, as to guys not on our roster, I mentioned in another thread that I'd be looking hard at Christian Ponder right now. The guy is easily a better QB than Vick or Jones, and could be a long-run answer as a #2 QB.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sorry but as someone subjected to being forced to watch Ponder almost every Sunday he is less ready than Jones and just as erratic as Vick. I'm also sorry but if a Veteran QB like Mike Vick can't make simple throws, throws that high school QB'S make he is not better than Landry Jones. He must be pretty stupid if a quick slant is beyond him after all his years and can't learn it in 4 days. He has to be epically inept to not be able to throw it to Heath Miller with a three day learning curve. Let's not even address the fact that after 5 weeks of being the understudy he doesn't know the simple audibles. What the heck is he doing in the classroom have chuckle time with Tomlin in the corner?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Jones has a higher ceiling right now over Vick. Vick is just here for the paychecks at this point. I didn't see anything last night to change mind there.

Jones might make a few more errors initially and I'm sure Vick can deal with the pressure better since he's been here. But I still see Jones being the better option.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im done talking about Vicks past, Im talking strictly from a football perspective, my dislike of him has nothing to do with my evaluation of him. I havent heard a single analyst disagree with anything I have said about his football skills, so unless they also all hate him, Im not being swayed by how I feel about him.

How do you declare him clearly a better option when you have not seen Landry perform with starters? Maybe he wont be better but it would sure be hard to be worse. Id much rather see what he can do instead of trotting out a QB we already know cant play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    lol I hate MV but did anyone see the game without hated for MV or MT. previous post MV will fumble, get hurt ( which most Steelers wanted, and hope for a lost). Well he did opposite he threw one td and block for second and did not lose game. MT play calling if my million dollar kick miss 41 and 30 something yard fg and barely made extra point (thanks crosswinds), I would have sent him out for 50 yards attempts too (yeah right). if yall think MT can just fired that kicker wake up, cause the press conference clearly show he wanted to call the kicker out but he has more class then the redskin coach or rex. Yes bell should have gotten the ball on both 4th downs, but again one fg this thread would not exist. so blame the real guy kicker and special team coach for not making him practice in the net.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ummm yes I did I watched the game as a person looking for Vick to show some sort of competence as a veteran QB in this league and what I saw consistently in the third and fourth quarter was a QB that could not make the simple throws necessary to compete at the high school level let alone the professional level. I saw an unprepared veteran who could not audible out of a play becasue he hadn't mastered the playbook in the six weeks he has been with the team. You want to say Scobee and the special teams coached failed to win the game thats fine but had Vick made a simple 1st down during the final two minutes of the game and showed he could consistently lead the team on a sustained drive, Scobee wouldn't need to have made a field goal to put the game away. The short week is a crutch being used to excuse a pedestrian effort by Vick and the coaching staff at preparing for a home game against a known rival who is starring down the barrel of a three game losing streak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, reasonable people can disagree. I don't know what alternate universe Landry Jones some of you folks think you saw in preseason, but I saw a guy whose mastery of the offense was where you'd expect a rookie 4th round draft pick to be, not a 3rd year backup QB. Yeah, he did a lot to help us win that one preseason game against the Packers against their 3rd string. However, he also tried hard to give that same game away and they said "no thanks."

Vick is not good, but IMO Landry Jones has done nothing to show that he even belongs on an NFL field.

Thorn, as to Ponder - fair enough - I only watched maybe 3 or 4 games of his back in the 2011-13 time frame. My impression was that he was a guy with solid career backup tools and ability who was being pushed as a franchise QB. He failed, but he certainly didn't fail spectacularly like some do. 2012: 10-6 record; 81.2 QB rating, 18 TDs and only 12 ints. 2013: before being injured he had a 77.9 QB rating and was OK, though I think at that time the pressure of trying to be someone that he's not - a franchise QB - was probably too much. I think he's very salvageable as a backup, and I'd be 100% more comfortable with him than Jones.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The one who had a 96.8 passer rating against GB. Jones has continued to make progress while working with scrubs. We are clearly watching different people and clearly wont agree on this.

But hey, lets stick with what we know already sucks instead of giving the kid we spent a 4th rd pick on, a chance. I mean really, how much worse could he have missed a wide open AB 5 yards away?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The problem is that they didn't have EITHER in the backfield because I'm pretty sure that Bell was in the slot and Vick was alone in the backfield. Just dumb on so many levels.