1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

18 gotta go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jeff Laizure, Jan 16, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    People can take or leave Diontae I don't really care. What you are ignoring is that while Diontae is the best value on this team currently, after this upcoming season he is going to be paid $15M per year by someone.

It's not worth it to pay a player $15M when they play their worst in the big moments. And when Freiermuth had a game tying TD ripped from his hands by Harrison Smith he blamed himself when the S just made a fantastic play; when Diontae drops the ball twice wide open he ignores it and says "Yeah big deal I also caught a TD."

Yes, Diontae has improved. You know who were the hardest workers on the offense? Bell and AB. They were motivated by selfish reasons. I'm not saying that Diontae is a diva like they were but I am saying that just because a player improves doesn't mean they are team oriented or should be kept.

I do not trust Diontae in big moments and I doubt many people do. It's hard enough to win through forced errors let alone unforced errors. Is that really worth $15M? He's not the best deep threat. He's not the best red zone threat. Diontae's biggest asset is moving the chains so when he can't be trusted to do that when needed most I don't want him re-signed. If Diontae isn't going to be on the team after next year then what is his value this year? Our offense will be 25th or worse. Why not trade him and get a return?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    All of the receivers have been stuck with shorter routes. It is still misleading to compare Smith-Schuster and Johnson that way without at least acknowledging that the former got to play with a far better version of Roethlisberger than Johnson has ever seen and he had Brown on the other side opening things up for him during his best seasons. Even as the team's top receiver, Johnson is consistently able to get open. Smith-Schuster was unable to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Diontae Johnson is signed for 2022. He is our #1. You can argue the facts if he is a #1 or #2. I don't like the drops. Who does? But he is a solid player. You want to lose his production? Not me.

The brass has to decide if they are going to extend him. I would. WR money is large for his talent. Maybe franchise him and work a deal in 2023.

They will have some cap room finally.

Make Schobert restructure his contract to take a pay cut or Ba Bye. Will cost 9.7 mill in 2022. Took on the jags contract. More cap room.

Also Fitzpatrick. He will play under the option if a deal can't be reached. I feel they will.

4. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Juju was running wide open in Fichtner's offense last year without AB.

"Can't get open." :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Regarding the can’t get open, does it take you to the YouTube ap if you click the bottom underlined “watch on YouTube? I have the app on my phone, if I click the underlined part it shows up in the ap.

Poking the little arrow does the same I just figured out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he can't get open as consistently as Johnson. He can't get open as consistently as he did when Brown was on the other side. What do you think is going on? Roethlisberger just feels like shutting him out for ****s and giggles?

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    +
    Who here really knows what we're doing next year with the offense, with BB gone and maybe Canada? JJSS may know what's coming down the pike and likes what he see's. So sticking around may not be that pathetic after all. Unless you are on the team, in the Steelers organization is some form or fashion, there is nothing anyone here knows that means anything until it happens. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    In 2020 Juju had more receptions for more TD than Diontae. Just because he did that on fewer targets I wouldn't say he was "shut out."

I don't know why you think getting separation on short routes is the only thing that matters. :shrug:

I like that Juju makes his living over the middle. He's caught a lot of suicide passes from Ben as Ben ages. Nice to have a sure handed veteran who doesn't drop the ball or fumble in the biggest moments.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

You have to watch all the way through on the second one. You seem to have a very short memory if you don't think Smith-Schuster has fumbled in a big moment.

I think getting separation on all routes matters. Apparently, you do not.

11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    :roflmao:

Diontae has 9 fumbles in 3 years and Juju has 5 in 5 years.

Diontae fumbles 1x per 30 touches- staggeringly high.

That punch by Humphrey was just an amazing play. He forced 8 fumbles last year. He is the Peanut Tillman of this generation.

Tomlin lost the Saints game with a stupid fake punt. If the FB had gotten the first down he would have surpassed his career rushing yards on that one play. If you want a 1st on 4th you give the ball to 7.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The proper response there would have been to say you stand corrected, not make excuses. It was so insanely easy to prove you wrong on that one. The evidence is mounting that you are simply a troll.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    This time last year, we thought that WR was going to be a strength going in to 2021. As the season progressed, I found myself wishing there was such a thing as a groupon for hand transplants at Presby. DJ was not the worst offender.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    5 came of those came in 2019.

He had 2 apiece in ‘20 and ‘21

The guy continues to show he works to overcome the flaws in his game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He couldn't do anything against the Steelers weak secondary, DJ had a better season.

• Like Like x 2
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That's true but do you think his game is worth $15M a year?

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I do because I don’t think he has hit his ceiling. It would be great if they lucked out and got a really good QB for next season, I don’t know how much a QB like Rudolph/Haskins or someone else on their level will stunt DJ’s growth.

He did have nearly 700 yards and 5 TDS in his rookie season with Rudolph and Duck as his QB. I think he would hit a 1,000 yards again but don’t think you will get the 1400 yards 13 TD type season until the quality of QB improves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I think anyone who watched Humphrey punch that ball out would blame Juju about as much as they blame Pat for H. Smith punching the ball out vs. Minnesota. :shrug:

19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You might be right. Time will tell. I agree that this offense isn't putting any of the WR in the best position to succeed... well except Ray-Ray.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster has the ball punched out because he is carrying it in one arm and you want to make excuses for him. Johnson has the ball punched out in the rain against Detroit and you act as if there is no excuse for it.

So did you forget what happened on Johnson's fumble or are you just full of ****?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Would you take him as a 2? I would think for sure. I'm pretty sure most have stated there is just A thing missing. No sure what it is but let's hope it's found.
    I think it's about 8lbs so he feels a bit more comfy on his falls.

I assume you just don't want the ball in his hands at the end of a game like AB.
    We all know the ravens game I'm talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    I think this is a Ben thing.

I ran into a YouTube video last night for best Ben game winning drives.

Nate Washington was featured....
    I'd bet none of you would have thought about him until I just mentioned it.

Also, look back at that SB winning drive. Santonio, IIRC, caught 90% of those passes, thus MVP.

23. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Dudeeeee

Saw that too.
    Had an chef's apron on and a big ol belly. Guy is patrolling Arrowhead stadium like general Custer(d).

Gross glenn, super gross.

Where is my green font?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Are you saying our 2nd rd Wrs aren't making the cut?
    Nooooooiiiiii, and double nooooiiiii.

I just hope I don't see it again in the 22 draft.

25. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012

I may make a post about this. I think we may have recent bias.

A lot of the "key" Ben moments have always been the scrambling around. The "pump fake" we all love may just have been a big ol whoopsie daisy.

I'm sooooo happy we had been for almost 20 years. However, I don't think his game was the same as THOSE other QBs.

Ie. The talking heads may be right. We have 6 month to look at Ben highlights and get nostalgic. A lot of those throws were pumped, rolled, and found a guy after he was in the window, not before.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022