1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

18 gotta go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jeff Laizure, Jan 16, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    This is exactly the type of incident Tomlin remembers and holds a grudge over. I highly doubt he gets extended. Might as well get something for him IMO.

No I don't blame Diontae. I stuck up for him the last couple seasons. I'm not changing anyone's mind after tonight.

Take it in the context of a rebuild and Diontae currently having high value in the NFL.

You acknowledge Diontae killed two drives by himself right? Short slants that hit him in the hands? At least admit he chokes.

Now, Tomlin told all his players he would cut their eyelids off if they blink. He told that to a locker room full of players with very little experience and very nervous. He isn't helping nervous players. He's like the opposite of Noll. Tomlin is the opposite of a sports psychologist.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pile on Diontae. He is a great player and person. He probably offered the highest value of any player this season. I just don't see him getting a second contract (Only AB has in the last how many years? Since Hines?)

2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Disagree. DJ can make plays. Sure he drops. But he got better this year.

3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    In a perfect world the Steelers would fire Tomlin and his whole staff and we would have a good offensive coordinator take over and see how DJ performs in a real offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Theres no chance they move on from Johnson unless he pulls a Leveon Bell.

No, I won’t admit he chokes, a player with 106 receptions is not a choker. What about JuJu, Claypool and Washington, all had drops tonight, are they chokers too? Fans are over the top ridiculous when it comes to drops. I know this is what all the hate towards Johnson comes from, last year when he had like 10 in 3 games. But he worked his ass off to correct that and up until about the last 4 weeks, didnt even have a single drop on the season. He seems to get them in bunches, he’ll keep working at it and eliminate that from his game as well.

Think about that, 106 receptions with this version of Ben. You know how you do that? Because the guy gets open with ease. His route running is superb. You don’t trade that guy, you lock him up long term.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Nicely done! I appreciate how you turned a DJ thread into a FMTI thread.:thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm batting 1.000

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have been saying this for a couple years now, but I still think it has to do with cold weather and his gloves.

He changes gloves when the weather gets cold.

8. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I can see you're mad. We just had an ugly loss I get it.

Based on past Steelers history they take DJ's 5th year. Then they don't re-sign him. A lot can happen in two years. You're right that he improved on drops. I agree. He reminds me a ton of AB except AB is the most clutch WR I've ever seen and DJ is one of the least. Sorry. That label is going to stick now and it sucks.

Dionate's stat line was 5/10 for 34 yards. I get that is mostly on Canada and Tomlin. That's not going to change opinions and DJ didn't get it done.

You should admit that the Steelers wont re-sign him. Burress, Holmes, Sanders, Wallace couldn't get re-signed... Holmes made the most clutch catch ever maybe and didn't get re-signed. He also returned a punt for a TD that playoffs.

So whatever. DJ will be gone after 2 seasons of sub .500 football with nothing to show in return. :shrug: I enjoy him as a player and a person. Not mad just saying I understand the people who want to trade him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No. Steelers coat and Bud light stocking hat.

oh and pants

10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Something is not right with this receiving corp and I’m not sure if it’s the receivers themselves. On the play where Ben got his pass batted down, he threw to Claypool who had three Chiefs on him. If the fourth Chiefs player had not batted down the ball it would have been intercepted. Who drew up that play and why did Ben do something so stupid?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You should stop trying to get me to agree with you :lolol:

I’m not remotely mad. This is who I’ve said they were all season. Big props to Ben and all he has meant to the team over his career but I knew this season was dead when I watched him the first game of the season. I look forward to seeing the skill position guys perform in the years to come. Hopefully they find someone to succeed Ben fairly quickly. I would love if they somehow landed Wilson. There are other big names I’d like but I think Wilson may be the most realistic.

If not, then the draft. Willis, Howell or Pickett. I think Howell gives them the best chance out of the gate. Willis the highest ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm not trying to get you to agree. I just think it's understandable why many people are down on Diontae.

WR and OC are always get the most hate anyways. :roflmao:

13. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    DL is the least of the WR problems. I say draft or sign a true #1 and then put RayRay back on special teams. We'll see if JuJu comes back but we need to allocate resources elsewhere rather than focusing on more than one key addition to the WR core. I'm not sure how much of their issues are just lack of an offensive coordinator. Get someone to get more creative in drafting plays and maybe they can get open. Crafting some 10-15 yard pass plays would be a huge start. Defenses can usually lock down the 0-5 yards and 30+ yard fly patterns that make up 99% of Canada's pass plays.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Yeah.... no.....

D.K.... has been much worse.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your arguments would work a lot better if you had your facts straight. For example, they didn't let Holmes leave. They traded him due to off-field behavior. Burress was also allowed to go because they were concerned about his behavior, something that seemed justified after his incident with the gun. Didn't Wallace turn down a big extension, so they turned around and paid Brown early on?

Johnson's future really depends on the circumstances when his contract is up. He is the best they have right now. He let the drops get in his head again late in the season. He is going to have to show he can fix that next season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You and your hindsight! The Steelers were justified in not extending Burress after 2004 because he shot himself in 2008 or whenever. :roflmao:

The Steelers have extended AB and Hines since Ben has been QB. (Juju got 1 year since you're like my wife just looking for nagging technicalities)

If Wallace has been signed AB would not have been- moot point.

And dropping passes that kill drives is worse than smoking weed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    unless he is dropping them because he's stoned ...:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    Cut him today... Miss Drops...we had the lead. We just needed some first downs to keep the momentum alive und give your defense some rest... And then came this child who can't catch anything but tennis balls, slighted on the ground (probably due the heavy wind), got a false start and we had miscommunication from our "best" route runner. We should have thrown to JuJu all the time this game. Of course, he is not the only problem in this offense. But he give absolutely no favor to us. For me he is completely overrated. Use him as a 3rd WR or cut him. His YAC are ridiculous. But his blocking talent :lolol:WOW 100 catches in 17 games when u get 170 targets. And 8 TD? He sucks when it counts. As I said, all these drops and fumbles are more an issue then anything else. U love his stats, then wait for next season. Then let's talk about his great stats again. Stats don't give u a win in post season

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  20. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    He shouldn't be cut or traded....they just need a true #1. He only appears to be a #1 to me because they really dont have much else behind him. He's the only one that can consistently free himself up on a route....everyone else usually has defenders plastered on them. He's simply not reliable enough in key moments to me. We just need someone who is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pants are good

Apparently biggbunch68 came out of his bedroom yelling after TJ’s TD with no pants on and scared his family

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben was all over the place and missed the WR's big. Came close to a couple of pics as well. Not sure if its him or the WR routes but Ben looked frustrated being way off the mark on several plays. Doesn't matter anymore now. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He's fine. The 6'4" 220lbs wimp on the other hand... :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    18 is the kind of guy who puts in the work to make things better. He was much improved this year over last year. Yeah, he had more drops in the last couple of games, but his total for the year isn't bad.

I want guys who put in the work to improve on this team, not to get rid of them.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Are you referring to a 5th year option? If so, there is none. Only contracts with 1st round selections have 5th year options. We’ll need to make a decision sooner on him.

• Agree Agree x 1