1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

15th pick has to be a impact player immediately

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelers_liu, Jan 21, 2014.

1. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    with the 15th pick, the player we get has to be an immediate impact player. not necessary an all-pro, but a player that is a starter. i don't want to wait 2-3 years before he becomes a starter. i think our #1 need is a CB. but CB takes a long time to develop. NT is probably the easiest position to start immediately (ala casey hampton).

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The Steelers have far bigger needs in the first than a NT. Mclendon was solid overall, Woods filled in well, and we also have Fangupo.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if you want (like me )an immediate impct players ,you should look at offensive side more than defense

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't really agree, Liu. I don't think the player we pick in round one has to be an immediate impact player. The expectation is that your 1st round pick will step in and make a solid contribution during year one, but what if we didn't pick at 15? What if the team trades back to say...19 or that range...would the expectation be the same for you? Just curious.

Definitely agree with Strummer. NT would be a poor choice for the #15 pick. Aside from there not being a need, you can't say for sure he'll step in and be starter day one, especially in Dick LeBeau's super complicated, Rubix cube-like defense.

I do agree that we need a CB on the roster who can play a role sooner, rather than later, but who's to say? There isn't a recent standard for 1st round CB's starting on the Steelers roster. I agree with Freak, if you're looking for an immediate plug and play guy, you're best bet is looking towards offense. OL, WR, TE are first round positions who will likely fit that criteria.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    in my opinion there are three positions that a player can come in and start. at #15 ha ha Clinton dix, any wr worthy of the pick, or a corner but only two I think can start. gilbert or dennard

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It would be nice if they got a player at #15 that could have a immediate impact but it depends on the position they draft. If they draft a CB at #15 he will get a lot of playing time because they need help in the secondary.

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, these are the positions of value for the Steelers from pick 10-20 IMO..

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think now that Colbert and Tomlin felt a little heat this year, they will be looking for someone to come in and make an immediate impact. And I agree with the above listed position from TTF, OL and WR. I agree that a #2 pass receiving TE could come in and start right away, although I am still not sold on that plan. No CB is going to come in and start over Ike, Gay or Allen, which is why I am also against going CB in Round 1. I think ILB would have a CHANCE to come in and start, but something tells me a healthy Larry Foote may get the nod.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope your wrong on larry foote starting again for us. barrow is looking good at the sr. bowl practices I've heard. they definitely could use some coverage types at LB. maybe a guy later in the range of garvin. a safety/LB tweener type, unless they think garvin is that guy.:cool:

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think more important than the 15th pick being an immediate impact player, is for the overall draft to improve the team in 2014. Bell was a 2nd rounder, but made us better. Brown and Beachum, both later round picks, contributed to the team in their rookie years. Therefore, if the overall draft has players making a positive contribution, this year, then we don't necessarily need the 15th pick to be an immediate impact player. We will want to have success down the road as well.

11. K Train

K Train Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Immediate impact players would include:

Nix: Looks like a cross between wilfork and poe. He would add something big to the pass rush in not only taking up blockers but firing in there himself, hes relentless in pursuit. Not just a 2 down NT, he provides something special in the middle. Mcclendon is barely average, i thought he would step up more but he didnt. I heard someone compare him when Von Oelhoffin started at NT before casey got here, I like the comparison. Woods was fantastic as a rotational DE, but when he lined up at NT he was easily out leveraged. Heyward and Nix would be bad, bad men out there.

Mosely: He looks like a star in the making to me, but MLB isnt really a huge need (it is A need, but I could see them addressing that later on or moving Jarvis to MLB). Timmons is still king out there but Mosely and Timmons would rival Willis and Bowman i think.

Guys like Benjamin and Evans might be able to win a few jump balls, but their overall game wouldnt really translate to "immediate impact imo. Amaro or Ebron would.

If you want immediate impact, look elsewhere from the safety and CB standpoint, especially CB. Even though Gilbert and Dennard are great players, we wouldnt see very much of them early.

Marqise Lee, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews would be good immediate impact guys i think. I am quietly a huge fan of Khalil Mack too....rare explosion for the position and could instantly come in and be a significant part of the pass rush as a rotational player.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    No one we take in the first round probably starts...no one.

Ben
    Bell, Johnson
    Brown, Wheaton or Cotchery
    Miller, maybe Spaeth instead of Johnson
    Beachum, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert

Heyward, McLendon, Hood or Keisel or Woods
    Jones, Woodley or Worilds
    Timmons, Foote or Williams
    Allen, Gay or Taylor
    Troy, Shamarko or UFA

I think we bring in a starter the Free Safety position...I really do.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree just because a CB might not start next season he could get some valuable playing time, and the secondary is the weakest link on the defense so if a talented CB is on the board draft him. Those ILB in this years draft are weak no way would I pick them at #15. Vince Williams could keep improving at ILB and be the starter next season, they need to get rid of Foote he's too old.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, except for the part about Foote, keep him as a back up, Williams is still learning, Footes knowledge will be very helpful as Williams continues to learn the position.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's why we have coaches.:cool:

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    You are right, if we drafted a Gilbert or a Dennard he probably would see valuable time on the field with all the 4 and 5 CB defences we have out on the field. However, I disagree that the crop of ILBs is weak. Mosley looks like a stud. I think Shazier would kick inside in a 3-4 and he is a playmaker. Then you have guys later on like Jones & Bullough that I would start over Foote & Williams.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You know those types of players help the rookies, Mac.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they are not rookies anymore. (Williams and garvin) jerry O, butler, Timmons should be plenty of help. we need to get younger and use less money on a guy sitting on the bench that doesn't play ST's. or hire him as a coach instead of eating up a roster spot.:cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except for the fact that he can still play. And technically he's not a rookie but it's not like Williams is a seasoned vet yet.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's up for discussion too. he's terrible in pass coverage and as the league moves more toward that he's more of a liability.:cool:

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you all aware that Troy is due 8 million
    and Ike 11million. What if they don't agree to a pay cut? Would you like to see Curtis
    Brown playing significant minutes. How
    about Will Allen?