1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

15th Overall Options....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    do you really think he's rated as a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

there are also examples of guys ranked in the 2nd and taken in the first that worked for a team need. seattle did. he's their pass rusher from WVU. if it's the right player for the right team it's not a wasted pick. do you feel he's starter quality and is he an upgrade to a problem you have, making it a need.

yankey has been around 20th and considered a first rounder until recently. the only reason he's not on most boards is because he hasn't declared yet. he's the best guard in the draft if he comes out and may be one of the better LT's if a team decided to use him that way. a lot of teams passes on decastro too. just not what they needed. did that make him less of a 1st rounder to us?:cool:

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If I was going to place him somewhere in this draft at the moment it would be probably early 2nd. That of course is just my opinion.

When it comes to us, I don't see it as a need, at least not at the moment. Other than an elite T, I am pretty happy with where we are on the Oline.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    foster, though I like the guy is way to slow to run the ZBS.:cool:

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...Article.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167767

here's a little on him tarheel. :smiley1::cool:

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I could be wrong, and I'm not saying he isn't a talent, but I do think he gets taken probably in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round if he comes out. I look at it like this...yes, he is good, but a guy like DeCastro slipped all the way to 17 for us...not sure I see his draft position being any better...and it probably will be worse.

When it comes to Foster...I'm not sure we will really go to the ZBS with the new coach.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Guys that I think are worthy of a 1st round pick...
    Offense:
    WR: Sammy Watkins, Marquis Lee, Mike Evans (3)
    TE: Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro (2)
    OL: Mathews, Robinson,Erving, Koandijo, Lewan, Yankey (6)

Defense:
    S: HaHa Clinton-Dix (1)
    CB: Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (3)
    LB: Anthony Barr, Khalil Mack, CJ Mosely, Ryan Shazier, Vic Beasley (5)
    DE: Clowney, Kony Ealy, Stephon Tuitt (3)
    NT: Louis Nix III (1)

Green indicates guys that I think are top 10 picks. Blue should be picked between 11-20 (we have a chance at these guys). Red denotes guys that would be reaches at 15, but could be drafted from picks 21-32 via trading down.

The only guys on this list I dont like are Lewan and Koandijo, but I dont think we go OL round 1 anyways. I think it comes down to Gilbert, Dennard, Lee, and Evans.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Matthews goes in the first round he doesn't seem to be that fast, Lee will be a top 20 pick. I'm a USC fan so I watched every game of his he had a down year injuries dropped passes, not interested in him at #15.

8. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    we have no clue how to draft good OL and if we do .. they get hurt.. just sign free agent OL guys . we cant draft them for S*&t

HINES

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Before I list my options, I am going to try to eliminate some of the 14 players that I think will be gone by the time #15 rolls around, in no particular order:

1. QB: Teddy Bridgewater
    2. QB: Blake Bortles
    3. OT: Jake Matthews
    4. OT: Greg Robinson
    5. DE: Jadeveon Clowney
    6. WR: Sammy Watkins
    7. LB: Anthony Barr

Those are the 7 that I fully expect to be gone by the time #15 comes up. . We can only hope another couple of QBs go at the top to leave us better positional players. So here's who I would be targeting at the given positions:

OFFENSE:

WR: Mike Evans (Texas A&M), Marqise Lee (USC)

There's another few guys that will try to fight to be in the mix, but I feel if we go WR at #15, it will be for either Evans or Lee. I prefer Evans due to his size. But there's no denying that he has a little diva in him. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Lee is probably the more polished WR and should be really good, I just don't think he will ever be elite.

TE: Eric Ebron (UNC), Jace Amaro (Texas Tech)

You can mark me down as not liking a TE option in Round 1. I certainly wouldn't take either guy at #15 and I'm not sure I would bother trading down just to grab a TE either.

OT: Taylor Lewan (Michigan), Cyrus Kouandjio (Alabama), Cameron Irving (Florida St), OG/OT David Yankee (Stanford)

There's a couple of other juniors in the mix, and there's no guaranteeing all of the above guys will come out anyways. Regardless, I don't really like this option this year. I don't like Lewan and I thought the 'Bama kid showed way too many mistakes in the Sugar Bowl. I thought our O-line came together down the stretch this year and played the best it has in years. Maybe we can work with what we have.

DEFENSE:

3-4 DE: Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame), Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota)

I would be completely against using our pick on a 3-4 DE. I think we have enough in the cupboard to compete.

NT: Louis Nix (Notre Dame)

Don't like this option either. I just think Nix will take time, like most NTs coming out of the NCAA lately. Time we don't have. Plus I just don't think Nix is THAT good.

OLB: Khalil Mack (Buffalo), Kyle Van Noy (BYU)

Not sure where these two ultimately pan out, Mack may be gone, he might not be. Will depend on the workouts. Neither really excite me though.

ILB: CJ Mosley (Alabama), Ryan Shazier (Ohio State)

Both of these are options I like. Mosley has everything you look for in a 3-4 ILB. I think you put him next to Timmons and then don't think about the position for a long time. He will be solid and has good sideline to sideline range. An anchor for Alabama that past couple of seasons. Shazier is definitely a HIGH CEILING guy. I don't think he translates to 3-4 ILB as easily though. But still, this guy is a FOOTBALL player who I think can succeed in multiple schemes at multiple positions. His career TFLs are off the chart. He has a NOSE for the football. Ultimately, he would be tough to pass on and I would have to figure our scouts know everything about this guy. He may fly up the boards after workouts though as a 4-3 WLB.

CB: Darqueze Dennard (Michigan St), Justin Gilbert (Okalhoma St), Jason Verrett (BYU), Louchiez Purifoy (Florida)

My problem with this group is, I just don't see an elite CB. I don't see a dominant corner. No one is taller than 6'0, and none of them have elite speed. I placed Purifoy in the gorup because I really like him, and from a H-W-S prospect I actually like him the best. He currently is listed as a 1st rounder by most, but I am hoping he will impress during workouts.

S: Haha Clinton-Dix (Alabama)

The only S that I really like this year. But I still think #15 is too high for him.

So from all the prospects listed above, if I'm picking at #15 my Top 5 is as follows:

1. WR Mike Evans
    2. LB Ryan Shazier
    3. LB CJ Mosley
    4. WR Marqise Lee
    5. An OT. Not all the JRs have declared yet, so its tough to pick one at the moment.

10. flaccosucks

flaccosucks Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Might want to think of drafting a QB. Big Ben can't be here forever

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They drafted a QB last year Landry Jones.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Really, Darrelle Revis is 5'11 and he was the best CB in the league before he tore his ACL.