1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

15th Overall Options....

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Jan 7, 2014.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I thought it would be fun to do an discussion on players at each position which might be 1st round talent. We could do this looking at our positions of need only. For instance, we would skip over Bridgewater and the QB position. We could also skip players who we truly believe we could never have a shot at...ie. Clowney.

So what are our first round options for each of these positions? Who would you target or be willing to draft at position 15 if you were taking someone for these positions?

As an example, if we were going to take a NT, Nix would probably be someone we would look at. At WR, Watkins and Evans. This would be first round only. Let's narrow down the field a little bit here and see what our true options are to figure out who is likely to be on our team next year.

OFFENSE:

WR
    TE
    OT

DEFENSE:

DE
    NT
    OLB
    ILB
    CB
    S

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I had wanted the best safety or corner. I was wanting the joyner kid but after watching him the other night and going back to some games this season. he is small. listed at 5'8" I think but I don't know if he is that tall.lol he can make plays but not worthy of first round. I love Jordan Matthews. if we go offense he is the man. I would take him over evans cause he has better hands and runs better routes. to me evans is the product of manzel running around all over field. he is big and fast but undisciplined.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    there are 4 db that can go in rd 1 at the moment
    3 cb and one safety .dennard gilbert elomu and haha
    dennard should go to detroit
    gilbert can be an option for us
    elomu probably trading down
    haha . i don't know how much is good

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't get the humor. What's so funny about this post, freak? ;)

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    Haha Clinton-Dix*, S, Alabama

6. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    When it comes to Matthews, the biggest knock I have seen on him is his speed. I have seen him projected to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Not to say he isn't a good option, but I think his speed at the combine along with his workout and ability to get separation from CBs in the workout will tell alot about where he will get drafted.

Evans the product of Manzel just running around and making stuff up. He sounds a little like Ben doesn't he? Maybe they are a perfect match? In addition, you can teach guys to run better routes, you can't make them bigger or faster by this point.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess I got turned off of him in the bowl game. its probably not fair but his attitude sucked in that game. he had a couple of penalties for bad mouthing officials and opposing players and wasn't very receptive to coaches when they tried talking to him

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Let's update this list.....

OFFENSE:

WR: Watkins, Evans, Lee (3)
    TE: Ebron, Amaro, Seferian-Jenkins (3)
    OT:

DEFENSE:

DE:
    NT: Nix (1)
    OLB:
    ILB:
    CB: Gilbert, Dennard, Ekpre-Olomu (3)
    S: Haha Clinton-Dix[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] (1)[/FONT]

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's my huge concern with Evans, and to some extent, Benjamin. WR Diva is almost a certain path for those two, IMO. Huge talent, but worth the risk?

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think we have a shot at Taylor Lewan and Cameron Ervin, OT's. Greg Robinson will go top-10 now, darnitall!

11. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    OFFENSE:

WR: Watkins, Evans, Lee (3)
    OT: Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Erving (4)

DEFENSE:

DE:
    OLB:
    ILB:
    S: Haha Clinton-Dix (1)

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    david yankey if he comes out. LG/LT/RT starting LG. capable of any of the others. fast,big,strong and mobile, with some nasty. sign me up all day.:smiley1::cool:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I know! :evil:

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I haven't seen enough of Yankey to rank him yet, but I like what I see. Do you really think he's a top 15 talent though, Mac?

15. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Looking at the talent level of the guys and the perceived importance of the position, Yankey doesn't make it into the first round for me. In fact, I don't think ANY guard in this class does.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    in importance to our team, yes. being an all-American at two spots makes me think that. not to mention he's from Stanford and smart. the round ranking to me is negated by the help he would give us and maybe not some other teams or guru's liking. if you don't need the position he won't be ranked nearly as high. I've seen him around 20th. I'm all about a couple of spots trade down if we can and still get him.:cool:

17. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    No matter how important a player is to the team at a certain position, you don't take a 2nd/3rd round ranked guy, a guy you can draft in one of those rounds, way too early. That is how you screw up a draft. See Detroit and Cleveland for examples. Yeah, Cleveland needed a QB, but moving back into the first round to draft Weeden was a HORRIBLE mistake....of course they took Richardson at 4 so.....

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I've added names to be added in red. Orange is fringe.

WR: Watkins, Evans, Lee (3).

I need to watch more of Marquis Lee, but I have
    Jordan Matthews ranked higher than him right now...both of which may be a slight stretch at 15, though. It would slightly surprise me if we went WR in round one. The class is very deep, and the Steelers have a knack for finding mid round gems. I think people need to let go of the mindset that we have to draft WR or TE round 1, because they're the only players who can make an impact right away.

TE: I'm not sold on any tight end being a top 15 talent. As of right now, it would surprise me if one went in the top 15. Ebron, Amaro being pretty close together to me, and Seferian-Jenkins being more of a mid-late 2nd rounder.

OT: Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Erving (4)

I need to watch more of Erving, so I can't really comment on him, but add
    Kouandjio. Like him or not, he's a top 15 talent who may likely go earlier. If Lewan is still there at 15, he may very well be our pick depending on the outcome of his off field antics.

DE: Trent Murphy, Maybe Kony Ealy.

NT: 15 may be a reach at this time for Nix IMO.

OLB: Anthony Barr.

ILB: CJ Mosely, Kyle Van Noy. I'd be surprised if Mosely fell to 15 as of right now. Van Noy is a guy who was under my radar a little, but after watching some of his games, he should be in the mid-late 1st round conversation. I put him in the ILB section, because I think that's where he could be best used here. He can play out or in though.

CB: I don't have anyone to add right now. I'm not sure where to rate these guys, as Gilbert and Dennard are pretty close IMO. I'm not positive where they fit in the top 20. Probably in that range, though I can't say for sure right yet.

S: Nothing to add for me. I'm not positive Ha-Ha is a top 15 talent. I need to watch more of him.

19. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

I hope we don't take Lewan...we already have a physical specimen that is very unpolished in Adams on the roster....I really don't think we need to take a LT in the first...Beachum .... 1 sack 4 pressures in the last 6 games....prob played one of the best LTS in the league over the last 6 games

20. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

Dennards height scares me a little...ideally you wan a top 15 CB to be in the 6ft 1in 6 ft 2in range...

21. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    People don't rule out for discussion someone who is a first round talent, but would be in the 20s. We could always trade down and then that player could become an option for us.

22. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    OFFENSE:

WR: Watkins, Evans, Lee, Matthews (4)
    OT: Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Erving, Kouandijo (5)

DEFENSE:

DE: Trent Murphy, Kony Ealy (2)
    OLB: Anthony Barr (1)
    ILB: CJ Mosely, Kyle VanNoy (2)
    S: Haha Clinton-Dix (1)

23. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think we have to draft a WR in round 1, I do think it is likely that one of these guys ends up slipping to us and could be a good fit for us.

24. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I tend to agree. I'm not sure any of them are top 15.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry, freak. I was just being a wise guy. :lolol: