1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

127 Wins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 20, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With many more to come :steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

That article ended with there being a glimmer of hope in the 2019 season. Problem was, without Ben at QB, the performance was very suspect.

But I will note, Tomlin was not the QB. Should Tomlin continue as coach beyond Ben’s years, I expect the Steelers to invest in a true starter at QB versus the numerous backups who’ve started over the years. I don’t expect Tomlin to roll over and cease to be competitive in the post Ben era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just WOW!!!!! I mean I hate them but respect is due.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Take 103 and divide by 8.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You know you have to do the math for @SteelerGlenn don't leave him hanging like that

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    where does his postseason record stand

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not bad but not upper echelon. Ben needs another great run with this d & his record gets better substantially.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This is a great example of how statistics in a vacuum can be very misleading and paint only with one color. I won't argue the numbers, because they don't lie. They accurately document that during their timeframe, we haven't suffered much regarding wins and losses without Ben.

But what they fail to account for is health on both sides of the ball, opponent strength, matchups, and any defensive contribution. Simply way too many colors left out of this painting for it to accurately depict the actual image.

9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN is still trying to figure out how to cover Gronk for a ten year stretch.

His 3 playoff wins in 10 years with a Prime Ben R is really the most damning stat to me. Simply unacceptable and if this Rooney had a clue he would have been gone years ago. This year will get an asterisk regardless because of the world ending so even if he flops again this year it likely won’t matter. No pre season no fans at games whatever excuses are available will be made for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh, for sure, and like I say it's just a bit of fun.

I think the problem is more that this no "actual image" - other than the number of wins. I guess I just find it odd when people claim Tomlin's been carried by Ben - it's not a simple (or necessary) either/or, for all the variables you mention.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The only reason Tomlin ever lost a game is because his players let him down.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Absolutely. I can't say the numbers only paint part of the picture and then say Ben is the ONLY reason a Tomlin-lead team succeeds. Sometimes I just poke the bear with heavy handed statements to get a rise out of the apologists. Stone's quote below is a good example of that and I'm sure I've said something nearly identical to it in the past. So now I will take the ball and run with it.

You know it isn't Tomlin's fault either when his boys don't brush their teeth or leave the toilet seat down and piss on it repeatedly. It isn't a father's job to make sure his children learn right from wrong. That's his wife's job. That's what he has a wife for. He can't be held responsible for his boys' mental mistakes at school. That's all on them. But dayum, he's factually a great dad because his kids pass their tests. That's the mark of a great father. The only thing his kids need to do is to get good grades, and he becomes father of the year. That's all that matters. They take the tests. They pass with 67%. He gets the credit. GREATEST FATHER EVER!

(Disclaimer for the dummies: I think Tomlin is a good father and husband. The above is analogous (big word, look it up) to his coaching. You apologists have an incredibly narrow view regarding his perceived success and my statement above applies that view to another aspect of his life, to one, poke fun at you, and two, to show the similarity of how ridiculous both statements are.)

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are catching on :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin has been as successful as our last two great head coaches, chew on that.

15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your definition of successful and mine are different. And Tomlin was given far more talent than the previous two. Chomp chomp chomp. Tastey.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting how the "Ben Carried Tomlin" debate still rages on. For the likes of Mike McCarthy, we already know the answer to that. However, let us go into highest tier of coaches.

For reference, has Drew Brees carried Sean Payton?! What about Russell Wilson carrying Pete Carroll?! Tom Brady carrying Bill Belichick?! Very seldom is it so one sided.

For me, last season proved Tomlin is a very good coach. Losing a HOF QB is one thing. Making it to .500 without him is another.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    But but but Tomlin inherited Cowhers players

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    & Dan Rooney. Steelers going in the wrong direction without his leadership.

• Like Like x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin was given more talent than Noll? Okay...............

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

See. I was going to type this. Why did I not?!

Too busy enjoying Netflix!!

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Noll wasn't given talent. He didn't show up with a Super Bowl caliber team already in place. He built our dynasty from the ground up. Learn your history. Read what is written. Respond accordingly. Thanks for playing.

Because you didn't want to sound like a fool? Why let this time be any different than the others?

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting.

Are you saying Ray Mansfield, Jon Kolb and Andy Russell were sub par then?! Last time I checked, those three were apart of that 70s dynasty. The cupboard was not bare when Chuck took over.

In addition, the fact you continuously insult others only strengthens the arguments against you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    With Tomlin's success looking him in the eyes, it's the go to defense.
    He is on to something with what Tomlin inherited but that is because of the players. Cowher had nothing to do with Tomlin getting them over the hump.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    C'mon, serioiusly? You're going to go there when he drafted Greene, Bradshaw, Blount, Ham, Harris, Webster, Swann, Stallworth, and Lambert? And those are just the noteables. 1974 has been argued to be the best draft class in the history of the NFL with Webster, Swann, Stallworth, & Lambert all in the Hall and all with 4 rings.

Prior to Noll, we weren't contenders. We weren't even mediocre. Our qb woes were legendary, just like the qb's from Western PA we couldn't sign. Unitas, Blanda, Parilli, and Nameth all left our shores to help other teams succeed. We signed Len Dawson, but couldn't keep him.

Then we hire Chuck. No one can say our fortunes didn't change the day Chuck signed on. And yes, I know it wasn't instantaneous. But Noll wasn't given a Super Bowl team. To even hint at that is asinine.

Actually it doesn't. The arguments for or against stand whether I'm a dick or not.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1