1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“If I don’t play good enough football, then I need to hang it up.”

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Dec 14, 2020.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    OK so it was an opinion. i’ve also noticed that when people use the term “the eyeball test” that you’ve got to consider the brain that’s processing what those eyes are seeing.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Minkah is awesome and all but maybe trading away that pick wasn't a good idea. Though I don't know who we would have drafted at QB.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are correct. He has been even more streaky than usual since he injured the knee in the Dallas game, and he is getting worse as the season wears on. The screwed-up schedule the last three weeks certainly did him no favors. Remember, he missed everything but the Sunday walk-through before the game against Washington.

What people don't get is that the knee doesn't just limit his mobility. It is hurting his ability to throw as well. I think that's why you are seeing the accuracy come and go so much. He will suddenly just sail one or not get enough on a pass. That can absolutely be a knee problem throwing off his mechanics.

This is Junebug's post is wrong. He was not done. He was having one of his best seasons before the injury. The problem is that he is likely to keep breaking down. It is probably time for the team to move on, but the contract won't allow it unless he retires.

Regarding the names mentioned on the thread, I would love to see the Steelers trade for Darnold. I think he just desperately needs to get away from the Jets. Bring him in. Get an offensive coordinator with a clue and I think he could do some real damage with the receivers on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    His interceptions lost us the past two games. Losses aren’t all on him, the running game, drops, but ultimately his turnovers have sealed our fate. Love Ben but I don’t know, clean it up or call it a day already.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He said stuff like that before and is still playing. He is just owning his performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'd take a chance on Darnold but Steelers brass will never do it. And if you want a new OC you'll have to wait until Tomlin leaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree which is why 0-16 may have been a blessing. Don't follow college but I think that Clemson kid is ready for the draft.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin has been willing to move on from coordinators before. I think they can make that switch if Roethlisberger is gone.

Trading for Darnold doesn't seem very Steelers-like, but neither was trading in-season for Fitzpatrick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I hate to keep referring to this but Tomlin is wishy washy with replacing his staff. Under a Cowher regime, Butler would have been gone a long time ago. Same with Danny Smith. But with Tomlin, the only way Randy goes is if management forces him to.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Waisted years with coach cliche

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    From watching the games, he's throwing more sidearm then ever before. Probably the reason why there's been so many batted balls.

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Ben has to say that because if he mentioned the wr. Offensive line r running backs. The media would atack him saying Ben is throwing them under the bus

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Heard this as well after the game. Unusual though in the way he answered it. In all honesty, a bit of a drama queen comment in my opinion. He could have went in a different direction in terms of asking that question.

Either way, perhaps 2021 is the time to search for a QB then?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Before this season I would have been all-in on the Darnold suggestion. I'm not sure anymore. There comes a point where damaged goods are damaged beyond reclamation. It's possible that Darnold has gotten there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Two weeks ago they were undefeated. We’re all human.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Human League

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nevermind just this either. To even get Darnell, who is due for a fifth year option, a lot of cap moves would have to be made. I seriously doubt that Pittsburgh is willing to make those moves as it stands given the uncertainty of the Salary Cap this year.

Some sites state that the League is optimistic that the overall Cap will be greater than the reported $175 Million. Others believe it will stay the same. Regardless, we will have to wait and see.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’d still take a chance on Darnold for the right price. Earlier this year, I would have traded a third rounder for him. Now it’s more like a fifth rounder. He still has many more good years left, but he’s losing confidence with every snap he takes as a Jets. However, he’s still better than Mason or Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2020-12-14_10-22-22.jpeg Whoops....wrong league. ;)

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    What the Steelers players are asking members of this board

22. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If he has any integrity at all he'll do the right thing. I mean he's getting paid 30 million. I'm not saying this was Ben, but I always wonder about smoking mirrors when it comes to these players in their final days of playing who somehow get beyond a physical (i.e. Ladarius Green) and get money...at that point... that they know they shouldn't be getting based upon what they can bring to the table. The question is...if he declines to play does this count against the cap, etc?? If they are still stuck with the contract he might as well come back. I would still take a 50% Ben over what they have behind him and that's bad.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He will still be on his rookie contract next season. I was really only thinking of Darnold if Roethlisberger retires after this season, which is not likely. I think he's going to play at least 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What about Haskins? Maybe a fresh start would do him good.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol...I would assume yes... You're saying, That's not what you're seeing?