1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

‘I’m Not Sure Why He Didn’t Challenge It’: Big Ben Questions Tomlin On Najee Harris’ Shoulda-Been TD

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would have been ironic if his non losing streak ended because of that decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe they didn't challenge it because it was 1st down? They believed they could get in with hurry up with a QB sneak? Maybe indisputable evidence to overturn call?

We've seen calls get over turned and not get over turned. Who knows? There isn't a wrong or right answer.

Maybe the refs should had just let the TD stand and overturn it on review? Or would it be indisputable evidence?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    This was my feeling of why there was no challenge.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This Offense doesn’t need to hurry up in the Red Zone.
    They’ve proven that slowing down, and executing correctly is the way to go.

The Red Zone mistakes this year oh boy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The first drive, likely thinking they can get it in or at least get the 3. If you lost the challenge you lose TO, so all that comes into play. The way they rushed to the line makes me believe he did not even consider it and wanted to catch them off guard.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was a terrible call. You have to challenge that, can’t just assume you will score anyway. Bad bad bad decision by Tomlin there.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree, but the logic others presented above is likely why he didn't challenge it. It as only first down. The Steelers were damn near unstoppable in short yardage this season. One thing they had great success with was hurrying to the line and running a sneak if it was less than a yard.

Yes, it was the wrong call. Yes, the evidence was undisputable. He clearly kept his knee off the ground until after the ball was extended over the goal line. I understand the officials missing it live, but it would have taken an egregious error for them not to overturn it. We also saw why you don't mess around in those situations. You could always have a fumble on the next play, or in this case, two plays later.

I was particularly annoyed most of the game because I had that feeling that they should have had seven more points all along.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I mean you can’t blame Tomlin for wanting them to put their big boy pants on and taking the training wheels off their bicycle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think our offense proved anything in the Red Zone this year. Fast or Slow doesn't make a difference, we are going to end up kicking a FG anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think the lack of a challenge there was due to how quick Kenny broke the huddle on the following play. It seemed like he “quickly” called his own number to run a QB sneak in hopes to catch the defense off guard. At first glance on the Harris run he appeared short of the line, however after a double take one could plainly see it was in fact a TD.

I just don’t think Tomlin or the guys up in the booth had enough time to process it all before Kenny broke the huddle for a quick QB sneak. I could be wrong but that’s how I saw it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The last thing they should have done in that situation is run a hurry up play. Running a hurry up is when you think you are getting away with a positive play that was possibly called wrong on the field and not a play where you are negatively affected. Our team can't help playing really stupid sometimes. That was just another example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought he said as much in his post game presser. They didn't challenge it because they felt the sneak the next play would be a scoring play.

If anyone watches the All-22 can they answer a quick question? On the 3rd down fumble by Najee did he at any point have the ball break the plane or did he lose control just before it?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I had time to process Harris telling the sideline that he scored, so they should have been able to do the same.

That makes it sound like it is partially Pickett's fault, which it isn't. They have been doing that in short yardage for a while, and it had been effective most of the time.