1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade proposal for a CB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 23, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Morris Claiborne of the Cowboys was benched and walked out of practice, the former first round pick has been a disappointment so far. He's still young maybe a change of scenery with a new team and defense would get him on track. Dallas hasn't said he's available, I was just putting it out there.

2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I also believe we should trade for a cb, the one's we have now just aren't good enough, who should we trade for ?? i have no idea, but we should at least put some feellers out there

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would trade Cortez and Gay for Patrick Peterson and Kyle Fuller. Ok... back to reality. If Jerry Jones is saying that Morris Claiborne is bad we really should get the Cowboys on the phone. LOL. I mean this is the same guy that thinks Tony Romo is GOOD right???

4. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I've seen Ryan Mundy on the Giants and da Bears. Intercepted a pass with each. And saw him grab one for us a few years back

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Claiborne? No. And someone mentioned Mundy, but he is a safety.

Unfortunately, I really don't think we are going to find a long term answer at CB via trade during the season. I also think it would be a mistake to try to do so. I'd rather have a band-aid now instead of having to give up assets mid season to try to get someone. Too risky. Our best bet would be to bring someone in on a one year deal out of the current FA pool. It is probably going to be an older guy looking for one more year in the league. Idk who all is out there, but I know there has to be someone without a job that would like one lol lets just get a stop gap till Ike can play (if Ike can play) and invest in the position with a high draft pick in the 2015 draft.

Does Jabari Greer have a team? Asante Samuel, Drayton Florence? idk

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think we will go with Blake for now and I hope Shaq Richardson gets a call up from the PS to get some game experience.

7. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Yesterday, that play was a tone setting one. First series, Int for a TD.

No way we can get a top-notch CB.
    Advise to FO: Don't trade young talent from our O.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually wouldn't have minded Samuel a few years ago. Last I knew he was in Atlanta. He had good hands but that was probably really about it for him. I just have a soft spot for corners with good hands.

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Exactly this. In order to get a good starting CB via trade we would have to give up too much. We finally have something good going on O, so now is not the time to break that up to try to get a CB.

10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    The last in-season trade in the NFL I can remember was Clinton Portis for. Champ Bailey. Both were studs at the time.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we were able to do a trade for a corner, I think it's likely that the compensation would be draft picks.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd give them a 5th rounder for him in a heartbeat.

13. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    This.

No reason not to try and wag a late round draft pick and see if the Cowboys will bite. He gets to start some games, we get film on him until Ike comes back AND we have him under contract next year with no strings attached (no dead money, no nothing) if/when Ike Taylor retires.

Guy can't be THAT bad.

14. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    If Jerry Jones says he is problematic, I'd watch out.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk if he is THAT bad or not, but he just lost his starting job on Dallas' defense. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good, but who knows. I do agree with your idea to trade a late round pick instead of a player for a corner if need be. We won't be getting anyone that awesome in return, but we need warm bodies lol

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly, its not baseball, player for player trades are very rare.

I don't want someone who walks out on their team anyway.

The schedule is soft for the next few games, roll with what we have and bring Richardson up to get him some real game experience, maybe he'll be ready by the time they get into the meat of the schedule.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    claiborn cost too much (2 milion a year ) and until now is a bust .. (3 years in a row)

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    McCain is a vet who should be able to fill in at the slot. We might find that McCain and Gay is better than any combination even if it means we need to have one play on the outside. Blake and Webb should get some opportunities to show what they can do. It might be a little early for Webb to really get his shot, but you just never know. If Blake falls flat on his face as the #3, we might need to do just that.

19. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Didn't he have one of the lowest Wonderlic scores in combine history? Call me crazy, but I'd prefer intelligence over talent...oh yeah, and also someone who doesn't go AWOL after a demotion.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about a wonderlic score for a CB, it's more of a problem foe a position like QB Vince Young score was real low and he wasn't a good QB.

22. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The money is cheap.

His salary cap charge would be $110,000 per week we keep him. Even if we trade for him, it's a week-to-week contract at that point since we can cut him at any time.

Next year his salary cap charge would be $2.6 million if he makes the roster.

The bottom line is he's a much better prospect/player than Webb, McCain, Richardson or Blake and no one is going to convince me otherwise. Remember, Claiborn would not replace the BEST of those four players, but the worst.

Whoever the coaching staff thinks is next man up is not going to change by bringing in Claiborn. It just provides another option and possibly (however slight) a significant upgrade over that guy as well based just on Claiborn's physical traits.

I'm not mortgaging the future (a 5th rounder is as low as I go). It's not ruining the salary cap. To me it's worth the phone call.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!: I would do it for a 5th, he has more talent than Blake and McCain as backups. A lot of players give them a change of scenery and they flourish, although I don't see Dallas giving him up their defense needs all the help it can get.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    2 million is nothing, if you worry about the money you get stuck with scrub castoffs like McCain and Blake.

25. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I am surprised that they haven't found a new CB yet, either Richardson, a free agent, or a trade. If Cortez gets hurt, we really don't have anyone who can cover big receivers. I think that they desperately need another CB, not to start, but one that can play if/when Cortez or Gay get hurt.

Also, can one of our safties play CB? Couldn't Shamarko slide over?