1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Polamalu Making Enough Noise?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by knab70, Sep 23, 2014.

1. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    The wife and I have been a huge Troy fan for what now 11 yrs? The wife made note last week that he doesn't seem to have his head into the game. I took notice Sunday he seems to be MIA not seeing the production in tackling and ball hawking that we all become accustomed to. I do acknowledge he's much slower,is he maybe getting discouraged in self or with the team in general. We signed him on for another 3 yrs. just hope he get's it turned around and gives the team a positive lift.Share your thought's...

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sadly I think Troy is done.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We're watching a living Legend, just enjoy him while he's still here! More than likely this is his last year.

4. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    The defense has been moved around so much that it doesn't give Troy the freedom to float like he used to. Obviously we all get slower with age but Troy is seeing the opponent's offense in a different way now, also.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think Offensive Coordinators are doing everything they can to make sure that their QB knows where Troy is on the field and telling them to avoid that area. At least that is what I noticed on Sunday night during passing downs. Our secondary is very green with all the new personnel that he can't devote all his energy to stopping the run and DL is probably telling him that also.
    I still see a couple more big games from Polamalu but they're not going to be near as frequent as they have been in the past.

6. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I hate to say this but I think we are watching a player that knows his time on the field is coming to an end. He will still make some plays as he and Mitchell get use to each other but he is not the player he use to be as father time is caught up to him. Just my thoughts but I'm thinking this will be his last year as an every down player.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think the biggest thing is he has a new tag team partner back there in Mitchell...as they get more used to each other and such I'm sure you'll see more of the usual Troy and such.

8. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Every team treats Troy as the threat he always has been. Watch the start of any play. He's moving all over, offenses react to him. That's important. He's still there being Troy though. Enjoy him while he's still with us. The moment he's gone and someone else fills that spot - we will notice it.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is no way Troy isnt giving it his all out there on every play, I guarantee you there is no quit in that guy. It's just age catching up with him and maybe as mentioned, he has a new dance partner to get used to.

10. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

I get all that.. new partner, age, slower some say cherish him while he's still onboard which i do. I'm talking execution targets he's missed several from PS to date along with missed t/o opportunities uncharacteristic for Troy. My reasoning for posting was to probe others in what they are observing. Thanks for you input.

11. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    :this!:

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see Troy finishing out that 3 year contract with the team, this is most likely his last season with the Steelers.

13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I suspect Troy is being used a little differently than in the past, and QBs still avoid him. On TV you see him running to a lot plays and not getting there quite soon enough, but I am not sure he is the one supposed to be making those plays. The defense is still a work in progress with all the newbies, and I suspect Troy may be playing a little conservative, maybe under Lebeau's direction.

And an older. slightly slower Troy may be better than a younger replacement, especially as long a Lebeau is the DC.

14. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know if he finishes the contract, but I'd be shocked if this was his last year. He still has fire. He's still giving it his all. And above all, although he didn't make any splash plays this week, he's still playing well. Did anyone see him get beat in coverage against Carolina? I didn't. He also didn't make any crazy Troy plays, but he supported well against the run and didn't give up **** against the pass. How is it he has a game like that and people start saying, "He's done"?

He's a safety. Even though he's Troy and we're used to him popping up, generally speaking if you don't notice a safety, that's a good thing. Just like you'd say about a CB and OT. At his peak, he is SO AMAZING... you have to realize he has a long, long way to fall before he's not good enough. Suppose he becomes a mere mortal - that's still good.

As for not having his head in the game... I just have no idea what you and your wife are basing that on. He seems plenty into the game to me, and in fact many have noted he's more vocal than before; he's literally making more noise, and he's the captain of the defense for the first time. I'm thrilled with him this year, just like every year.

Yes!

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree Snack (not that you needed my validation). I think Troy is doing EXACTLY what he is being asked to do, at this point.

16. dinochoppers

dinochoppers Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I think Troy is also feeling his age. If you notice his tackles now are much more "wrap up tackles" than " let me throw my body into mid-air and see if I can knock the guy down" stuff that sometimes led to big hits but also led to injuries. How many times did you sit there worrying about neck injuries with him, when you last saw him (before landing in the pile) flying through the air head first feet last with some sweat trailing off that hair whipping in the breeze?

17. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I've loved Troy ever since he came onboard 11 yrs ago, unfortunately fans get attached to players as family members and get offensive when negatives are pointed out. As for Troy the aging process is taking it's toll on his attributes, though I will have to adjust my exspectations and accept what production Troy can offer. Thinking his Spiderman days are basically over and rightfully so. He will have to make adjustments accordling to what his body allows. I make no apologies to no one in what i have observed and shared from preseason to date. I do expect and hope his role will improve moving forward adjusting to current changes within the personnel.I would like to see Troy fill what he can of his contract. I want to thank everyone who shared their opinions in this thread.:smiley1:

18. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Phew! Don't ever say that! I was up all night waiting.

19. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Exactly. Its just not in his makeup as a player to take the day off.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Shamarko might be a better option in 2015.