1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we resign David DeCastro?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers_liu, Sep 22, 2014.

1. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    David is in his 3rd yr and I'm assuming we'll be talking about resigning him to a new contract next season. But with Pouncey and Gilbert with big contracts, can we have 3 big contract OL at the same time? I love DeCastro and we should do everything we can to sign him. I'm thinking his contract is something like $50mil/5yrs?

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, we can re-sign him. The bigger question is will we try to re-sign Beachum. Beachum is working for peanuts right now, but obviously a starting LT isn't going to settle for that past his rookie deal. I'm not a big fan of him as a starter, but if the team is, we may end up with a healthy slice of the cap spent on our OL.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not going to happen for DeCastro I don't think he has 2 more years on his rookie deal. The offseason priority is to re-sign Ben.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Resign him...no thanks....but re-sign him, sure. However I think DD falls under the whole team option of a 5th year thing...so technically they could have him for 2 more years before he is a FA...but they'll get him done when its time.

5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Yeah let's sign DD and Beachum and build this team around Bell and his OL. Unless Ben gives us a discount, let him walk and go back to winning with a D, OL and top notch RB. Only say that as we can't have them all....the economics of the game don't allow it.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That's good stuff right there. Except for the part about letting Ben walk, that was just dumb

7. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    Something's gotta give when you have a $20M QB...which, by the way, no team has won a SB yet with a $20M QB...

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm just spit balling here but I'm guessing they'd let Beachum go before Ben if they couldn't sign all of them :hmm:

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah DD isn't a Ufa until 2016, they still have to sign guys on D too not just the O

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We'd be stupid not to lock him up, but we have a couple years...

11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Obviously you either don't remember, or weren't around in the 80s and 90s when we had the best OL, D, and good RBs but couldn't manage a SB. Now, with the way the rules are you can have the best defense but teams are going to score. You see, when you have a great OL, and great RBs with a average to below average QB, teams will load the box every down, if you spread them out they will blitz, a good QB can beat it but not the kind of QB you are going to get for the money left to pay him when you have it invested everywhere else. It is a balance now with having to choose which positions you value and which you try to get by on bare minimum.

12. DSteelerCT

Nov 15, 2011
    I assure you I was around and I can't spend the day trying to educate, but your theory isn't completely accurate. Sea won the SB last year because of their defense. The Ravens won the SB because of their defense. The Giants beat the Pats and Brady because of their defense. I agree the NFL is trying to kill defenses, but they're not dead yet.

We've been 16-16 the past two years with Ben. The reason why we weren't better was because of our OL. If we could afford a $20M QB and keep our other talent, I'd be all for it. But we can't nor can the other NFL teams. If we sign Ben to a big contract, what are we going to do about our OL, L Bell, C Heyward, etc? Something has to give and Ben will be 34 when his contract comes up.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The team would be wise to extend sooner rather than later. I don't think the OP was asking this, but the CBA prevents teams from negotiating new deals with rookies until after their 3rd year is completed.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only the Ravens are a good example here, and I assume you mean the Trent Dilfer led Ravens. Flacco had one of the best post seasons by any QB ever.

Wilson and Eli arent scrubs. Eli was instrumental in the Giants winning those 2 SB's.

Get rid of Ben, and the chances of reaching a SB become worse.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The salary cap is expected to go up significantly in the next few years. The Steelers will have a lot of players coming off the books soon in Troy, Heath, Ike and maybe Worilds and Kiesel.

16. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    When did we "win" without Ben? :rolleyes: