1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

gilbert........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 22, 2014.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    After much observation, i'm starting to see a pattern in marcus gilbert's play and some of his strengths and struggles..... I'm not sure about the rest of you, but it appears to me that gilbert plays much better against 4-3 ends than he does against 3-4 olb's...
    he appears to be overcompensating against the stand up olb's..... this is definitely coachable.... it all comes down to gilbert doing way too much thinking against these guys that are coming with a running start or wide angles
    hope coach munchak sees this as well

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lets not forget that he has gone up against some really good talent.

I'm not worried about Gilbert, I've seen enough good out of him to feel confident that Munch will get him to channel that all the time.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Everyone gets chumped sooner or later. Even the best players.

It's magnified in a bad loss.

So yeah, Gilbert had a bad game against the Ravens. But I never thought that wrote the book on him.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He certainly had a good bounce back game last night, just need to see more consistency from him.

5. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He had a pretty solid game last night. Hopefully there's more of that to come.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He needed that bounce back game. I think he'll be fine in the long run. He's going through an adjustment period. I expect there to be some more rocks on the road this year, but I bet he finishes the season strong and plays well consistently after that.

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Exactly.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    in the passing game there is still a lot to be desired. ben had to throw most balls before he even got the laces spun around. that pocket collapsed quickly around ben. yes we ran the ball finally, but 2 of those were 132 yards of the total. yea it's nice that we had a big night but make no mistake that the line play was where we need it to be or it was that good. just better than bad.:cool:

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree mac.. You have to consider the level of talent that they played against last night. You can't take out the 132 yards, that was earned by the work they put in earlier in the game. There were some nice holes created. The line played far above the "line" last night.. Munch is starting to put his stamp on this O-line..

10. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To the point of the OP, I believe Gilbert looked as good as I've ever seen him in the B&G..

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly, line played damn good last night. That was a tough D they went up against.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is in the feet, unless he aquires some foot speed you will continue to see help on his side
    with a rb/te. Lets see if he plays consistent against some
    better competition.I believe you will be disappointed, Get rid of it quick Ben.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    you won't find much better competition at the de position than Charles Johnson, and that's pretty much my point
    his play against 4-3 de's as opposed to 3-4 olb's

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Carolina has a very good front 7 in case you're not aware.

15. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Went up against Charles Johnson and Star Lotulelei, not too shabby. Happy for Gilbert to be silencing my hate and living up to the contract we gave him.