1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Cody Wallace be the starter and Foster be the backup

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Sep 22, 2014.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I understand Wallace can play 3 positions along the offensive line and they keep him as the back up for that reason but it looks clear to me that he is just better than Foster. Maybe it was Carolinas defense playing bad or some other anomaly but Wallace looked consistent, the first two games Foster missed blocks, 4 of them were against the rat birds and I saw two complete whiffs during the browns game. I guess it is too early to make that decision but I think they should just let him start and see what they have because I still wonder what the see in Foster, he misses to many blocks, at least what I see anyway, but how do the rest of you feel, Wallace or Foster?

2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought Wallace did a fine job. I'd hate to have to bring him out.

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They looked much more cohesive last night I'd like to see Wallace stay in there but I think we'll be seeing Foster next week..

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was really worried about how Wallace was going to do but he was great!

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd play Wallace. But, Ramon Foster will more than likely come back in. He will be on a short leash though. I bet he plays better too, seeing Wallace play so good last night.

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I've often wondered about that mentality. Wouldn't you think that a player would want to perform their best anyway? Why be a slacker if you can be better? But, I'm sure these guys take it just like a job that you or I have. I know a lot of people that skate by on the minimum.

As for the debate, I've never liked Foster, and never got what the FO sees in him. I think Wallace did a darn fine job of replacing him, against a stout defense. I can't tell you the last time this line has played that well together.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Foster has been underrated for a long time. He's not great, and sometimes I worry about him in the pass game, but I believe statistically he holds up well in pass protection. And in the running game, he can really move guys. He can blast guys back from the line in a way I'm not sure Wallace can do.

I'm on record as not liking Wallace to start for this team. But he did play well last night.

Right now I'd say Foster hasn't done enough to lose his job, and Wallace hasn't done enough to earn it. That, combined with Wallace being our top interior backup and having a lot more recent bad tape than Foster, makes me say keep Ramon there. And if Wallace is truly better than him, it could come out in practice, so keep an eye on him.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I say no based off Wallace 1 start.

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good points Snack. I just hate the idea of changing the o-line when they looked so much better last night than they have in quite a while. It doesn't look broke so don't fix it kind of thinking I guess. But your points are definitely valid.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No. Wallace is a decent role player, but Foster is the more capable of the two.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Foster can and should be upgraded next year, but I still think he should be the starter over Cody Wallace.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We are seeing the results of probably the best Oline coach in the league, Munchak is making this oline better every week, this week they had their best game yet and they will only get better, my game ball goes goes to munch...

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Yup.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i liked foster at rg not on the left ,anyway i trust what munchak will do

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    foster can't get to the 2nd level quick enough for what we want to do in the run game. he has some trouble picking up late blitzers. again that's because of quickness. he can hold his point of attack most times. if he can lock up straight up on a D-lineman he is fine, but he limits us. Wallace was able to get to the 2nd level a lot easier than foster ever will. I would rather see DD brought over to the left and Wallace put on the right if that's the case.

Wallace went back to center later in the game and hubbard was in when blount was getting some of that yardage by the way.:cool:

17. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I like Wallace with what we're doing and the way Bell runs..

18. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    I would like to see Wallace in there a few more games before making him the starter. Liked what I seen from him last night.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But you'll have to admit, TTF, that Wallace is WAY better at prostate exams! :eek:

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Should Wallace start? I think so. Will he when Foster's healthy? No, I believe they go back to Foster.

22. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I am not an offensive line coach and there are probably a ton of intangibles that they use to evaluate these guys, but what I saw last night was Wallace firing off the line of scrimmage like he wanted to hit somebody. I dont think Foster does that and I like what I saw from Wallace. Was it any coincidence that we had a great day running the ball?? I would let Wallace start again and see how the line does with him in there. I dont think Wallace gave up a sack and I dont think his man applied much pressure on Ben, so who knows, sometimes all it takes is an opportunity and from what I saw Wallace earned another opportunity!!

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Doctor Wallace! Meet Cam Newton on the 50 for an exam.

24. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd start Foster if healthy, simply because you can't (or shouldn't) lose your starting condition due to injury. But would keep an eye on Dr. Wallace.

Lets keep in mind that our next games are vs TB and @ JAX.
    By absolutely no means I take them as givens. But I really hope we play them very well early, score and stop, and hope them to be manageable enough at the 3rd quarter in order to give players (like Wallace) some reps (and much needed too for some other players).
    And then you can re-evaluate this matchups (like Foster-Wallace)

This is an opportunity that comes at a very valuable moment: we need playtime for our rookies and young ones. And we need to absolutely play lights out in order for that to happen. If we had other teams ahead, we wouldn't even be thinking about the possibility.

25. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Wallace is a big upgrade !!!!!