1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stats Don't Lie

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by deljzc, Sep 17, 2014.

1. deljzc

deljzc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Football Outsiders is updated and things aren't pretty:

Where do you want to start:

Problem attempted to be solved: field position after kickoffs
    Results to date: 17.69 yard line (30th in NFL)

Problem attempted to be solved: red zone production
    Results to date: 2 TD's and 6 FG's in 10 tries. .2 TD/RZ (31st in NFL). 3.2 points per appearance (31st in NFL).

Problem attempted to be solved: create turnovers
    Results to date: zero turnovers (one of three teams in last place)

Problem attempted to be solved: Get off the field on defense
    Results to date: Drive Success Rate against: 75% (24th in NFL)
    Results to date: Points per drive against: 2.52 (27th in NFL)*
    Results to date: Yards given up per drive: 36.57 (26th in NFL)

* I actually have this as 2.65 points per drive because I don't count the Ravens last drive of the game (Football Outsiders currently does)

Once again under Tomlin, the team is starting slow out of the gate and the inefficiencies on both offense and defense need to get ironed out before we fall behind in the standings too much.

They need a good game in Carolina or this could snow ball.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh. If we're waiting for our team to turn things around against Carolina, we're in trouble. That defence is going to ruin Ben's week. I just don't know how we're going to score on them

3. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Craptastic! :bscow:

4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see the Camp Cupcake start improving until we hit the Tampa/Jacksonville/Cleveland/Houston suck-breaker part of our schedule. If we can't get moving with this stretch of games coming up, then it's over. I do think they improve starting at home with Tampa, but worry we get lulled into believing we have a chance..... only to stumble down the stretch. Only time will tell. One thing is for sure, whatever Tomlin does during camp doesn't seem to be getting these guys into regular season form.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We do need a good game in Carolina, if we stink out the joint like In Baltimore, I think it will start the snow ball. Those stats are for a 4 and 12 type of record.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Panthers are real strong up front and probably have 1 of the best LB'S in Football in Luke, with that said the other LB'S are not all world neither are their CB'S or DB'S . The lions missed a lot of open plays 3 of which would have been TD'S .

We have a true speed advantage with Brown,Wheaton,Moore,Bell,Archer and Heyward-Bey . If we get the ball out quick we could see a lot of YAC. We can also run the ball right at Luke and let Bell bounce it out...As good as Luke is I don't think he can cover Bell 1 on 1 ,Bell is simply to shifty for him...

If Ben is on and getting the ball out quick we can and will score a bunch of points. I expect to see a O like the 1st. 2 Quarters of the Browns game , no reason to think that can't be done .

7. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Let's not forget that we simply cannot stop the run. Carolina will run the ball all night with Jonathan Stewart and Cam will kill us with high passes to Benjamin.

8. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    But Carolina doesn't run a lot of zone blocking which has really killed the Steelers in the run game. The Steelers actually did okay when Baltimore was running up the gut, Pierce's stats were not that great. But I do agree that Ike Taylor on Kelvin Benjamin doesn't look good.

9. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Will Carolina have a healthy RB for this game? It seems that every time I turn around, they have a RB or 2 out with injuries.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yeah Caroline averaged 2.0 yards per rush.. 62 total yards against Detroit Look out lol

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It looks like Greg Hardy DE won't be playing vs the Steelers.

12. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Are you seriously comparing DLs??? The Lions have a great DL. We suck!

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not seriously comparing the DL to Detroit. I am saying that if there RBs were that great they would be tearing it up regardless of the DL. Good running backs can do that. Bus could pound it all day long and the defense would even know it was going to happen and they still could not stop it. I don't think its time to annoit there RBs yet lol

And just to make my point. Carolina Rushed for 87 yards against Tampa. They are presently 25th in the league in rushing .. Yeah they are a rushing force to be reckoned with

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think everyone knew that the Steelers were not playing consistently well on both sides of the ball. However, both units had some success and showed flashes that they can be good. Better and more consistent execution is the key going forward. One good thing is that past statistics don't matter that much when teams face one another. It's only been two games so we will see what happens going forward.