1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Fame Fan Voting

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So apart from the Steelers players - Bettis, Greene, Gary Anderson, Thomas Everett, Cowher - who would everyone vote for?

You get 25 votes.

Mine would include:

Henry Ellard
    Dexter Manley - in fact, alot of the Redskins candidates (Jacoby, Bostic, Mann, May) deserve to be at least long-listed.
    Cornelius Bennett
    Morten Andersen
    Sean Landeta (the HoF needs more punters)
    Karl Mecklenberg
    Junior Seau
    Charles Haley
    Kevin Mawae
    Lou Saban

Probably some others, but those are the ones who jump out to me personally. I think they're a bit reflective of my age, though... Who are yours?

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Had the ones in green as well. I think they need more punters as well.

I added
    Steve Atwater
    Mark Bavaro
    Tedy Bruschi (even though we now know why he just happened to be in the right place all the time in key play calls. He still had to actually make the play)
    Issac Bruce
    Marvin Harrison
    Ty Law (if there's a rule made because of you then you're in in my book)
    Talley and Tasker (I think more of those Bills teams should be in there. They did go to 4 straight.)

4. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I also thought about Bavaro. Certainly dominant in his day.
    Agree on Ty Law. Bruschi I actually didn't see on the list, so otherwise would have had him there.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I only voted for Greene from the Steelers group.

6. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting. Any reason why not the others? I can think of objections to them, of course, but just wondered what yours were.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Thomas Everett??? Seriously, is he on the list?

8. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    IMO they just aren't hall of fame worthy. Cowher, Anderson, and Bettis, were all very good, but not great. And Everett was a good 2 notches below that.

9. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I found this thread somewhere on the web, one of the comments discusses CarAV which I guess is some type of measurement that takes your NFL career and assesses it against other NFL players to deem whether you are HOF worthy. Seems to imply a score of 90 is about what you should be at to make it into the Hall. Out of current or recently retired Steelers, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Farrior, and Faneca would appear to be HOF worthy while Ward is just a notch shy and Bettis is actually lower than I would have thought.

http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/05/28/assessing-steelers-hall-of-fame-chances/

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I tend to agree with you on some of them. Anderson was one of the best kickers of all time. Sheer longevity and consistency should get him in (if the HoF liked kickers), though I would have Morten Andersen in before him.

I probably wouldn't have Bettis in my own HoF, but if Curtis Martin is in Canton... stands to reason there's a case for Bettis.

AFan - yeah, the list is quite a "long" one.

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Of this bunch Bettis is the only real HOFer, top 6 all time rusher,he will get in eventually.

Kevin Greene has lots of fans here, but IMHO he's not a HOFer. He could do nothing but pass rush, and HOFer don't go wondering around the league in search of employment. If he got in, it wouldn't be an outrage, but I'm fine with hi staying out.

Cowher has some credentials, but unless he gets back into coaching and that seems increasingly unlikely, he's not getting in.

Gary Anderson, I can live w/o kickers in HOF.

The only way way Thomas Everett gets in the HOF is if he takes a job cleaning the bathrooms there.