1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free The Mountain!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Sep 16, 2014.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If McCullers isn't activated against the Panthers, I will start a petition on change.org to amend this fallacy!

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the team needs to make a choice. Can they continue to run Thomas out there, or is it time to make a change?

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thomas is not a NT the problem is neither is anyone else active on game days. Thomas is not a read and react guy ,we are asking him to do more than he has ever done in his life...

We should at least get him active so we can go to him if needed. He will be active this week not sure if he plays ,but I am sure he gets a hat.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    heiward mc cullers tuitt , we are horrible let the rookies gain experience

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After watching Thomas for 2 games, and taking into account his gradual decline in 4 years in San Diego, I would amend your statement to say Thomas is not an NFL caliber lineman period. I don't usually bail on players after 2 games, but he stinks, and many of us knew how bad he is when he was first brought in for a visit.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Big Mac is listed as questionable so Big Dan should get a helmet this week even I if masc goes.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't going to start a rookie at NT, if McClendon can't play Thomas will start at NT that's what the Pitt media said.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I've been saying this for a while. He barely played 0 tech during preseason. They aren't going to just throw him in at NT. If he goes in, they'll most likely be putting him in during certain subpackages. Thomas has been NT in practice with McLendon out.

Anyone thinking McCullers is the savior of the defensive line should go watch his preseason snaps.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, needs A LOT of work, looks very clumsy and wasn't double teamed nearly as much as people think.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's not a savior for sure, but get the kid some reps... At this rate it couldn't hurt and maybe we see more upside come of it.

11. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    And when I say at this rate, I'm in no way saying our d line is already doomed. I'm just saying we know what we got. A good'n in McClendon but could be a great'n at end... He's not a nose like were accustomed to, and we already knew what we were getting in Thomas, and there is really nothing more to say about that acquisition.

12. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We have always gone with 5 guys, with 1 DE being position flexible to swing into the middle, but with Thomas' bad play, I think the FO needs to consider going with 3 DEs and 2 NTs with one of the NTs being DE flexible. It is a way to get McCullers some reps.

In addition, I said this when we brought in Keisel, but not sure it was on this board, but if Thomas fails and we cut him this offseason, we will again be looking at 2 new DE, granted probably for depth as Tuitt should start, but 2 more depth guys needed on our Dline.

13. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    CB, NT 1 and 2 in the draft.. In what order idk. Lol

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Savior is a bit harsh, but if you never dress the kid and hes not getting snaps in practice, how does he get better?

We see whats happening now and people alwyas want them to get these guys out there earlier rather than later and see what they have.

Thomas is getting destroyed, how much more do you need to see of him just because he's a veteran? Its laughable with him out there already! The announcers were even ripping him for getting blown out!

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's what preseason is for. We can't just start parading every 7th round pick and UDFA out there. If you think The defense is struggling now, wait and see what happens if you start plugging guys in just to see what they have. This is'nt amateur night!

16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Youre right on the amateur night part of it, but what's the point? Mt. Dan is a big boy and can learn more on the fly against competition throughout the season than he can our sparse Interior in practice. I think he could be a good diamond in the rough and well worth the shot to see. Not a knee jerk reaction approach, but give the kid a hat and some snaps moving forward atleast. Pre season is for auditioning I agree. But regardless of pick status, we've all seen nobody's change a teams dynamic. At this point, with a lack luster front why not? Would he personally make it that much worse? I honestly don't see it, but would like to know what yinz think.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Obviously they aren't using preseason properly then if this is what's on display at this point.

These guys are there (because they were deemd to be worth it on the roster) and are supposed to be able to step in if needed.

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    starting cam thomas is amateur

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It might be time to make the switch from the 3-4 to 4-3. I have had a feeling for a while that we were going that direction but we never make the change. Of course, I'm no expert but I just felt that we were going to make the transition with the guys we were drafting. What do I know?

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mccullers is a project, but you can't teach big
    he has a way to go. But hey Cam isn't getting it
    done either lets try Dan some. Same with other players.Is Heyward setting the world on fire?
    How about Worilds Timmons, Shazier? Shazier is getting schooled,but he is the least of my worries.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is an assumption, I'm afraid. Some players do, some don't. Some players have their careers destroyed by being thrown in early, and being utterly lost by what's going on. If there are technique issues, then you work that out in training, not in the flurry and speed of a real game. Probably not the best example, but we threw Josh Victorian in, and while he learned an awful lot in 2 games - his skills practically doubled between one week and the next - he was still way, way behind pro calibre.

While people have found it frustrating, look what they did with Heyward. He was clearly a good DE - he made things happen when he was on the field - but they put him in for situational plays, and let his game adjust to the pro level. The same needs to be done with McCullers.

So having said all of that, he still needs a hat on gameday.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that the most likely savior of our defensive line is Ben. Score, score and score some more.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Give him a hat and get him Reps when and where you can . No reason he should not be in on short yardage, there is no reason he should not be in on punt block or FG block.

His sheer size alone dictates he plays in those circumstances , this will get him some PT and give the Coaches actual game film to evaluate him. Then and only then do you decide to insert him for a starter if his play dictates more snaps.....

Seems simple to me ....

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Chicken dinner to you, sir!

Our offense has to take advantage of the O-friendly direction the entire league is taking. Moore coming in will help bring a quality veteran presence to the WR position so that we don't have to rely on the young guys to step it up. While I think J. Brown will be a fine WR, I like him more as WR #4 than WR #3 (or #2!) Put the pedal to the metal on offense for the entire game and take the pressure off of our developing defense.

As for McCullers, let's see what he has. Give him a hat and 5-10 snaps/game. Can't be any worse than Thomas, who should probably be inactivated. We know what we have in Thomas, which isn't much, so let McCullers hone is craft against different linemen for a change. Can only learn so much going against Beachum and Foster all the time in practice. If Thomas wasn't so bad I wouldn't suggest this, but we don't have much choice here.

This is going to be year three (at least) that our defense can't stop anyone when it matters, can't make any splash plays, and look like a bunch of uninterested stiffs out there. They are clearly not having fun or playing fast, which is what the top defenses always appear to be doing. Seattle seems to play with swagger and attitude, while our guys seem to play with fear of screwing up the scheme and hesitancy. It's really tough to watch, especially when our offense still can't put points on the board. Maybe LeBeau needs to make concessions to his scheme to account for more Neanderthal than Harvard grad. Not saying our guys are idiots, but overthinking the assignments may be a real problem our defense has, other than our DL being not very good.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's all we're really saying. He needs some snaps in real time or you're looking at the same situation next year. If he can handle more give him more. If not keep working him along slowly.