1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Mitchell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Since were playing carolina anyone we can leave him there. He might go down as one of the worst free agent
    signings in years

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He has played 2 games and missed a lot of the preseason but then again this is coming from someone who has already eliminate d the steelers from the playoffs soooo.....

3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Can't make that call yet. Let us see how the season pans out before we call this one a bust.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Force is strong with this one !

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ryan Clark didn't light up the field immediately. I think we all saw him as a stop-gap when he was signed to replace Chris Hope.

That said, I would like to see a little more of his upside fairly soon. He's got the talk, but has he got the walk?

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know, I thought he improved between week 1 and week 2. Given how bad he was week 1, that wasn't a tall order, but there's potential there.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I happen to agree. I think Mike Mitchell is a liability. The one thing he is good at is getting penalized.

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think he'll be fine. He brings something to our defense that is lacking elsewhere: passion and intensity. Once he's comfortable with the scheme I think his play will drastically improve. He has the ability and tape to back it up, I just hope the lightbulb moment doesn't come too late in the season.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yep, GB it's never been an overnight thing. any saftey we have ever had, it took them time to learn to play here.:cool:

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I never really understood the signing. I thought Shmarko Thomas was going to be the guy. Maybe they see him better suited for Troy's safety position?
    Not sure.
    I think Mike Mitchell can play, he just needs to grasp the defense better. Hopefully he improves, but it's a 2 game sample. I'll wait many more weeks down the road to reserve judgement on him being a terrible FA pickup.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can say the same for all their free agent signings, not just Mitchell I was expecting more production.

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    This! (saves me the time of typing it haha)

RC AND Troy weren't studs right out of the gate either people....

13. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    We are very slow to start the season under Tomlin so the fact a new player to our team hasn't lit it up yet doesn't have me worried (Yet). Plus Mike and Troy didn't play very much together in the off-season workouts and pre season games so there experience should grow and they should improve. I like Mike's fire but Goodel doesn't like defense so he will be fined and penalized a lot I think.

If Mike isn't playing great after week four I will be very concerned.

14. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Shamarko was drafted to play troys position. Our scheme is a little different I believe with the safety positions. We need to realize the chemistry Troy and Clark had too. Clark and Troy both trusted each other, and they seemed to have a 6th sense about where each other was on the field at all times even when they couldn't see each other. I think Clark's play allowed Troy to be more free in our defense. And now with Mitchell learning the ropes, Troy has to harness that back a little. But to be fair, give Mitchell some time to learn, and Clark took a lot of penalties too. Just one of those things that comes with the position. No one is allowed to hit any one it seems. I guess Db's have to let the receiver fully catch the ball before making a play that way he isn't deemed defenseless.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't know about learning the system more but I'm concerned more with missed tackles, and actually whiffing, slow reacting, bad angles, etc. These are the things that concern me, he actually missed a tackle and it seemed he took a long time reacting after the miss, this is not good for the safety position who is our last defender.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While I haven't been overly impressed so far, it's WAY too early to be saying that!

17. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is Steeler Nation, we want to cut some players before the national anthem is over at the first game.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

He had some of those problems in Oakland as well.

[video=youtube;fopk-OAHshQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fopk-OAHshQ[/video]

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

What is odd about this miss is the rb never changed directions, juked or did anything out or the ordinary. He looked like crap on that play

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Wow, it even looks worse when seeing the video. He actually did the same thing a couple of times in Baltimore. Not sure how you fix that.... Just bad football plays....

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Thinking it may be time for Shamarko to start. Troy is wiffin on a lot of tackles this year

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they would start Shamarko over Troy, but I would start giving him more playing time he has to be a better tackler than Troy.

23. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Shark needs a lot of snaps this year!

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We need to bring up Shaq as well, he can ball but we won't see it for 2 more years!!!