1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DL. its been nice, but its time to go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Sep 12, 2014.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    let me start off by saying i love DL and everything he has meant to this team. with that being said, its time to go.

his defensive game plan was awesome for many years, but i think the rest of the league has finally figured it out and he either cant or wont change his plan.

does he have the greatest players in the league on his defense? no, but he does have some talent.

this defense gets no pressure on the qbs anymore. they bring all these blitzes and the olines pick them up fairly easy. that then puts the secondary in a bad position. i know their secondary isnt the best, but when the qb has all day to find his targets its easy to make the secondary look bad.

i think if this team has another 8-8 or worse or even a 9-7 record its time for some changes. DL would be 1st on the list and then switch to 4-3 defense.

Tomlin would be next and depending on how the offense is looking Haley can go also.

i know as Steelers fans we can be spoiled, but we did endure a 25 years drought between super bowl wins. if they finish with 8 wins or less agian that would be the first time since 85', 86', 87' and 88' that they had a string of 8 wins or less that was 3 years or longer in a row.

im not saying i want to see a full coaching turnover, but i just think DL's system doesnt work anymore.

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    No defensive coordinator would do well with the lack of talent that we have at the defensive line position. Can't do much when you can't stop the run, get pressure, or at least take up enough blockers to allow your linebackers to function.

It is only a scheme issue because of the lack of a defensive line.

3. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    It is a lot more than the DL. The outside LBs are not beating their guys either, Jarvis Jones has shown some good things but he has no concept of basic geometry that the shortest point to the QB is a straight line...he is constantly trying circling routes that take forever to develop. Worilds has not been good either. We have a secondary that plays 10 yards off the ball which basically just begs for pitch and catch. The inside LB are completely confused and Timmons can't seem to figure out what plays he wants to call. And we have a 77 year old D coordinator that needs a nap.

4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    No, it's pretty much the defensive line.

5. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    When the OL does zone blocking and stretches the field you need LB to anticipate and fill gaps, that ain't happening either.

6. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    maybe but I had to check the snap counts to find out worilds was on the field last night

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A guy that has as much experience and knowledge as DL is not the problem. Do you guys listen to him in interviews? Does he sound senile? Look feeble? He's as sharp as a tack and more fit then probably half the members on this board. The game hasn't past him by, you guys act like he left the game for 50 years and just came back to it, he's been involved with this game for a half a century on a daily basis, experience is the ultimate knowledge tool. There's nothing this game is throwing at him that he's not aware of.

Do you think Pete Caroll built that Seahawks defense overnight? This is his 4th year putting that team together and didn't become truly dominant until year 3. Give DL some time with his new pieces and he'll have a dominant unit again.

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    incubus
    goodbye , nice to know you

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    screw that I want satisifaction right now haha.. Let me see.. Where did I put that time machine of mine

10. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    Blast in all due respect, DL's defense has had problems for years. Yes stat-wise they have been very good, but tell tale signs were there whenever they took on a competent QBs, they blew a lot of leads, and keep in mind this is an organization that over the years gave the plethora of its higher paid players and draft picks to his side of the ball. I don't think he is senile, I think he is a defensive genius, but his inability over the last 5 years or so to see the way offenses have changed to a game of more lateral movement and quick get the ball out passing has hurt the team.

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

DC.....STEELERS overall D rank last 5 years...

2013-13
    2012-1
    2011-1
    2010-2
    2009-5

Thats kinda good. As far as Im concerned DL stays as long as he likes!!!

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Look, I appreciate DL's contributions to the game and to the Steelers, but his schemes just aren't working anymore. We talk about how complicated his defenses are but I've actually heard opposing players talk about how his defense is pretty basic and easy to prepare for once it's figured out. For the last three seasons and so far this season, our defense has been known for allowing big plays, not creating turnovers and not getting sacks.

Yes. Sadly, it is time for DL to go.

13. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    love reading your post Jack

just trying to figure out what you want

so

where we are at right now is

Dick gone
    and
    Tomlin gone?

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heads gotta roll, Jen. Heads gotta roll.:butcher:

15. Steel_in_DC

Jan 27, 2012
    I get it the stats look pretty good, but his defenses have also blown numerous leads...whether its a low scoring affair or not, it still has given up leads or allowed games to be tied in the 4th quarter numerous times - it happened last week against Cleveland. The last two seasons it has had major problems creating splash plays, namely sacks and interceptions. There was an article a few years ago, I will try to find it, that showed the Steelers were the worst defense in the league at giving up leads in the 4th quarter over a two year period. Stats are great, but defense is really about enforcing your will, creating havoc, intimidation. That Steelers D from the SB era teams up through 2009 had it, but since that time it has been missing. Seattle had the number one defense last year, but it is the havoc they wreak on the WR, the QB, etc. is what make the defense great - the fact that they give up the fewest yards is a bonus.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    add colbert

17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

El Jes JUEY

The mang as got ta go

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    and Arians

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He has produced a top D in the league since he's been here.
    Overreacting is what fans do after a loss. See Bruce Arians.

We lose him and you'll understand what rebuilding really is. I don't think Dick is the problem right now.

20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :this!: but if DL does go i want Capers to come back..

21. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012

I feel you Jack, but the gaping hole in your argument is that his replacement is already in town. Last I remember, the job belongs to Butler once Lebeau is gone. Right now we have both, and the defense is not improving. Maybe Butler can implement the 4-3 defense, but even at that, we don't have the personnel for it. Question is: Is Butler better than Lebeau at this point?

Spartacus

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :this!:

23. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The first half wasn't bad for the defense stat wise. Stupid penalties, no turnovers or pressure led to us breaking down defensively. I don't want to see DL go but something needs to be done if at the end of the season we continue on this course. However if DL is forced out because of a crappy season then Tomlin should go too. I like both very much but I don't think Tomlin is a leader, just a great interviewer or one liner. Maybe NFL network will hire him.

24. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    WOW Jack you must be a real insider. Care to name a few players?

25. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    DL, does need to call it quits. For everyone defending him, let me ask this question.
    You say it's the players he has, not him. But, isn't it his job to utilize the talent he has and make the necessary scheme adjustments to his players strengths and or weaknesses? In this case it's the coach, not the players. We still see or db's ten yards off the defender, same blitzes, etc. etc. So it's the coach, not the players. If they put ike and tez on the line more, playing bump coverage, it'd give our dline more time to get to the qb. Hey, new scheme to DL! Simple.

He refuses to change his scheme and not putting his players in the best position to succeed. It all starts with your leaders. Tomlin is the real villain in all of this, because he needs to have the balls to take the reigns and be the leader.