1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Goodell Lose His Job?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Could this be the break many of us have been dying for, a foul up so bad that the owners fire Goodell? :praying:

What says you, Steeler Nation?

I don't think it is out of the question, this will be a PR nightmare if its proven that they viewed that tape, it's already a PR nightmare, axing Goodell if there is enough public outcry will satisfy the masses.

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am a steeler fan to the core but this has nothing to do with us hating the ravens. I understand that ray rice was dead wrong but this falls squarely on the commish. He had the chance to do the right thing from day one but didn't until pressure from players ,fans,media,and most of all women! How can you sentence the player to 2 games and then indefinitely later....double jeapody. The commishiner is totally at fault here

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I bet he wishes he could have destroyed this evidence after his ruling too. ;)

First time seeing it my ass. Even if true, he still majorly dropped the ball.

I voted yes. But I really wanted to vote "no. But he should. "

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dang, why didn't I think to make that a choice :facepalm:

Should have been:

Yes
    No, and he shouldn't
    No, but he should

I'd change it but the 3 votes already went to "no"and may have chose the other option. Oh well.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I voted no. Definitely not. I can't imagine what it would take for him to lose his job.

6. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't think he'll get fired or forced out, but I'm not sure how much more of this he's going to want to deal with. With social media around, this just isn't Paul Tagliabue's NFL Commish job. I'll bet every year he spends as NFL Commish is starting to feel like dog years.

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    No, he won't. Because the owners know how much money he makes them.
    Even if he makes the league look foolish, it doesn't matter. It's all about money, and they've made a lot of it under his watch. Even though I don't think he's directly responsible for it.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    True, much more under a microscope in todays world and this is his second shady incident under his watch.

Which is exactly why something like this could happen. You don't think owners are worried about their bottom line right now with this PR mess? The next commish will come in and make money too. It's when they start costing the league money, that their job is in jeopardy.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I voted no and the only way he does is absolute proof he viewed the video prior to today

come on interns get your money

fingers crossed someone has proof

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sadly, as long as the league is profitable he will keep his job. Who cares if he's a moral failure as a human being? I WANT him to get fired. I think he SHOULD get fired. But I don't think he WILL get fired. I think only like a boycott or something would make him get canned because that would hurt the bottom line. However, IF it comes out that he DID know about this video THAT could be a different story.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Goodell makes the NFL money, and this Ray Rice incident won't change that one bit. This will quickly become old news. Goodell isn't going anywhere. Hate to break it to some of you, but put a different guy in charge of the league and the NFL is likely exactly the same in terms of player safety. Goodell doesn't decide these things all on his own. The owners wanted change to prevent them from getting sued. It wouldn't matter who was commish, all these player safety rules would still be in effect. It's the world we live in these days

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Hard to say if this situation will have an impact on Goodell. I doubt it will, but it could. If Goodell were caught in a scandal, the public isn't going to just close their eyes. I disagree with implying that Goodell is basically the owner's puppet, and everything would be the same in the league with someone else in charge.

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I think in a lot of ways HE is the puppetmaster and not the owners.

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as I'm not a Goodell fan, and I wouldn't shed a tear if he lost his job, I just don't see it happening.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Let me clarify. Player safety rules would absolutely be the same because basically every pro league has gone down the same path. Hockey has done the same thing. Any head shot whatsoever results in a suspension and fine. It's really no different. All these player safety rules are the result of lawsuits and us learning how truly dangerous concussions are for our long term health.

Take away Goodell and put in another commish and I believe player safety rules are no different than they are now. It's the way society is these days. I mean, schools are taking swing sets out up here in Canada because they're afraid of kids hurting themselves. Everyone is going overboard these days in the name of safety.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    +1

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's true that society has became a nanny state basically. I just wish there were someone that would stand up to the ambulance chasers. I mean it's just absolutely ridiculous that people say "I want to play this insanely brutal game but if I get hurt as a consequence I want you to pay the crap out of me more than you have already paid the crap out of me". I just wish someone would say "you know what? no one MADE you play this game. You did it because you wanted to do it and you need to understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too." A comish like that would be a FAN fave in my opinion. This whole "player safety" thing is a crock and we all know it. It is actually "owner investment safety". It is really self righteous for them to act like they want to protect PLAYERS. I think they REALLY want to protect PROFITS. Which is TOTALLY fine. This IS a business. I just wish they would man up and tell the ACTUAL reason for all these ridiculous rule changes. These rules are getting put in place to help set the table for an 18 game season. OBVIOUSLY more players are gonna get hurt if you give them two more games to play. However the profit margin will rise and that's what they are REALLY thinking about. That is my opinion anyway.

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No commish of any league will ever say that.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I know. I'm just saying if they would the FANS would eat that up. I think even a lot of players feel like the game has been totally watered down by the rule changes. What I said is actually the truth. The sense of entitlement by these people is over the top. It is as if they have NO responsibility for their own actions and the evil owners and the NFL just come and FORCE them to play football. I would actually like to know if most of these guys that have "suffered" as a result of playing football have also "suffered" some severe financial problems and maybe THAT is the ultimate reason for their lawsuits. I don't think Webbie faired well after the NFL but did he ever start playing the blame game and saying it is the league's fault that he wound up in such a shape? It's amazing how money can just cure what ails a man.

20. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There is no way the NFL with all its high and mighty self did not see that video. How the hell did TMZ get a hold of it and not the NFL. I'm calling BS on this whole we did not see it. But like some have said it is harder to prove.

I voted yes more because I want him gone. But I think this leaves a very bad stain on the NFL product they are trying to sell and someone needs to be held accountable.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The league is more reactionary than anything else. Remember a few years ago when Harrison became the posterboy for playing too rough? That was because the non-sports media started paying attention and making big deals of stuff. Harrison's hit on Massaquoi was put in picture form and was for sale on NFL.COM but then magically when the media started talking about stuff the league became filled with "concern for player safety". What a joke. What's funny is how I hear more and more people saying how they're "not gonna watch anymore because it is too watered down now" but they can never follow up on that threat. That is why we will continue to see them mess with things because there really is no bottom line consequence. These changes REALLY tick me off but I know that I could never stop watching so I'm basically over a barrel.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't underestimate the power of the public. Why do you think Rice was released so quickly, it certainly wasn't because they wanted to do the right thing.

And yes, player safety will remain the focus but maybe suspensions and fines will be handled more fairly, maybe NFL Europe will be shelved, maybe constantly tinkering with rules like pushing FG's back will cease, or the enforcing of PI penalties and maybe an 18 game schedule will be shelved. Goodell is disliked for much more then player safety, for many of us he is ruining this game. And I believe he has much more say and power then you think, its a majority vote, he just needs enough owners on his side, either through friendship or in his pocket. If he's rock the boat enough though, that won't save him, if it's proven that he saw that video, that would be the second time he's been involved in a scandal, if the public screams enough for his head, who knows :shrug:

23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    The public won't care. Rice was suspended indefinitely, that will quench the thirst for blood that everyone has. This whole thing will disappear sooner rather than later. There isn't going to be a big scandal over this because the guy in the video has been dealt with, so in many people's eyes, this situation is done with.

As for rule changes, there's a committee for that. Rich McKay chairs it and Tomlin is a part of it. Goodell doesn't just pass rule changes

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If it's found out that Goodell lied about seeing that tape, you will see a windfall like never before, he'd be seen as protecting Rice.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the level of power and sway that Goodell holds.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    No but he does set the agenda though doesn't he?